Reloaded bullets seem to tumble?

I learned of them while processing a large batch of assorted range brass I'd bought. They are the source of all matter of cussing and wringing of hands.

They're really not bad to load. It's just the damn sorting.

I use the SPP 45 brass in my 625 revolver in IDPA and USPSA  I like it because I dont have to change out the primer tube in my Dillon and I get them all back since its a moonclip gun. When your bullets start key holing I've noticed that if you change your load either up or down just a little or even the primers it'll stop happening.

I would prefer HP-38 to load my 9mm and .45 but as we all know we have to take what is available.  VV N310 is the only powder I could find within a 40 mile radius of home.  I did up the charge and they did better at the range this morning.  Hopefully I will try another few tomorrow.

I understand... I would look at upping the powder charge a hair more if ya still have tumblin problems while keepin a close watch on the swelling of the base of the spent rounds...

I would recommend takin a dial or digital caliper and measurin the diameter of a freshly resized round right above the extractor groove and noting the reading... I would measure my spent reload hulls at the same place after shootin them and watch for signs of expansion there...

When i saw 0.002 or more expansion in the fired cases; i would quit goin up and back the load down a couple of tenths of a grain...

The limit is generally taken at .002; and some even say .0015; but ya need a real tenth reading micrometer to read those kinds of numbers... A regular $25.00 dial or digital caliper will read to a thousandth (0.001) pretty easily...

Now, havin said all that; some folks simply aint comfortable with goin above published reloading data (...and some of 'em may well speak up about this method...); and i understand that... The fact is that the ballistic guys determine the upper limits of lots of reloads by measurin the case head expansion many times; especially in rifles...

Hope this helps...

leroy

Edited by leroy
  • Like 1

I understand... I would look at upping the powder charge a hair more if ya still have tumblin problems while keepin a close watch on the swelling of the base of the spent rounds...

I would recommend takin a dial or digital caliper and measurin the diameter of a freshly resized round right above the extractor groove and noting the reading... I would measure my spent reload hulls at the same place after shootin them and watch for signs of expansion there...

When i saw 0.002 or more expansion in the fired cases; i would quit goin up and back the load down a couple of tenths of a grain...

The limit is generally taken at .002; and some even say .0015; but ya need a real tenth reading micrometer to read those kinds of numbers... A regular $25.00 dial or digital caliper will read to a thousandth (0.001) pretty easily...

Now, havin said all that; some folks simply aint comfortable with goin above published reloading data (...and some of 'em may well speak up about this method...); and i understand that... The fact is that the ballistic guys determine the upper limits of lots of reloads by measurin the case head expansion many times; especially in rifles...

Hope this helps...

leroy

Thanks Leroy,

I upped the powder and they are doing well, I shot at 30' without tumbling.  Tonight I will try 40' and see how they do.  Most of you are very helpful and once again thanks for the advise.

I use small primers because I purchased 500 brass cases that uses small primers (I have 4,000 CCI small pistol primers).  Also, I have been shooting Federal and they use small primers which I will recycle.

• Like 1