any TGO'ers get to run a Rem R51 yet?

graycrait

I have read all the online reviews of the R51 and have not seen one in person yet.  I am intrigued, especially if the price point is sub 400.00.  Can anyone I trust (TGO'r) tell me how they run, feel, muzzle flip, carry, etc? 

http://www.guns.com/2014/02/19/jeff-quinn-reviews-remington-r51-video/

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/foghorn/gun-review-remington-r51/

I quit buying sight unseen some time ago.  I almost bit on a Savage Hog Hunter .308 a couple of weeks ago but once I got one in my hands for a look see I said No Go for now.  I'll wait until I get to handle a R51 before I buy, but would still like a first hand account from a non professional gun writer on how the R51 carries, fires, functions, etc. 

I couldn't wait. I grabbed a Ruger SR9c. Plenty small, light, and accurate as all get out.

You just have no patience. You must learn to control and pace yourself. Take a deep cleansing breath. Hold it. Hold it. Now let it out slowly. Repeat several times.

Now...don't you feel better.

Ok, now put the SR9 up for sale and buy something else. I swear you are getting as bad as me.

I stopped by a store last week that is "Remington Certified" or something to that effect to see if they had a show model to no avail. I just wanted to handle one. Word on the internet was that Remington was going to start shipping February. Guess that didn't work out. I'm intrigued by this pistol but wouldn't buy sight unseen and am waiting for non-gun industry reviews outside of magazines/blogs as well. Wish Remington would send a T & E gun to Hickock45. 

Edited by three5seven

I couldn't wait. I grabbed a Ruger SR9c. Plenty small, light, and accurate as all get out.

The SR9c is a sweet little gun, I enjoy shooting mine.  The difference between this and the R51 is the Ruger has been around long enough that it's through any initial teething period and is a proven gun.  The R51 is getting ready to enter gamma testing.  I think it looks great and I'm intrigued, but I'll let the rest of you buy it up and find any glitches.  If it's as good as they say I'll look at picking one up in a year or two.  If not, then a year or two may be what it takes to get through the initial problems phase.

• 1 month later...

R51 built based on Pedersen design.

In theory Pedersen's schematic is better than Browning's schematic:

Fixed barrel

Light slide

No guide rod for recoil spring

The part that is a subject for wear (locking block) is cheap and easy to replace

As much as I know similar gun was submitted for army test and lost to Colt-Browning in 1910. If it would become Government model, the history of the weaponry would be totally different. But...J.M. Browning was a genius. Most of pistols nowadays built around tilting barrel of his design