Video: Snowmobiler shoots moose

Bottom line IMO, a dick with a gun, with a video camera rolling, looking to play badass on YouTube. I would've erased that video from embarassment had I done something that stupid. The guy's obviously a hothead, wonder if that Glock would of also come out if some teenagers ambushed him with snowballs?

I gave him a benifit of a doubt that he wasn't intending to have a confrontation with a moose but made bad decisions which led him to kill the moose, but then I remembered your post and thought, why in the hell did this idiot post this video online? He must have thought it was cool and macho or something which shows that he doesn't feel bad about wasting the moose.

Being from and living most all my life in Tennessee I don't know much about moose except from what i've seen on tv, but from what i've seen on tv about them I wouldn't have driven closer to the moose since all wildlife shows say moose are more dangerous than bear to humans.

On one of my Colorado elk hunts, I came across a big black bear in a blueberry patch. He saw me, woofed, and ran like mad in the opposite direction. A few days later, another bear, did the same thing. Then I came up on a bull moose at about 50 yards. He stared me down with a crazy eye as I s-l-o-w-l-y backed up, looking for a tree I could climb if necessary. The only weapon I had was my bow and it suddenly didn't feel much like a weapon anymore. I continued to back up until I was out of sight and made a wide birth of the area. BTW, I've never felt threatened by elk, they're basically like our deer, but a whole lot bigger!

Bottom line is if you're in an animal's territory, you should learn a bit about them and their habits. You would think if this snowmobiler was in moose country, he should've known a bit about them too. I'd be curious to know if he was a local, or someone there on vacation. When in Rome ...

Its hard for me not to judge the guy, as I've done my share of snowmobiling too when I was a young man growing up in Michigan. Those machines are awesome, and to me, he could've easily cut out through the woods and went around the moose, picking the trail back up a 100 yards or so past him.

Oh well, I think I've thrown the guy under the bus long enough on this one :yuck:

If he hadn't been armed, he likely wouldn't have been nearly as ballsy. I was raised on snowmobiles, and I'm certain this could have been avoided.

You do realize how much I'm chuckling to myself how the same statement could be applied to HCP holders who do the same thing, then end up in court.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

May just be me but this situation seems to share some details of the Zimmerman/Martin fiasco. Both "to-be shooters" made a mistake in pursuing causing them to be attacked then shooting to get themselves out of it...

But this snowmobiler was in a place he had a legal right to be and used reasonable force to stop a clear and present deadly threat. This is nothing like the Zimmerman ca..... oh wait.

Dang, you guys are harsh. It sounds like I have to be an unarmed moose expert, willing to risk being killed or injured by a wild animal in lieu of harming it, in order to go snowmobiling with you guys.

I think the Tennessee Snowmobiling Association is a very small group.
Knowing what a snowmobile is because you saw one on Discovery Channel doesn’t count for much.

smilielol5.gif

• Like 2

Dang, you guys are harsh. It sounds like I have to be an unarmed moose expert, willing to risk being killed or injured by a wild animal in lieu of harming it, in order to go snowmobiling with you guys.

Stand Your Ground; this video clearly shows Marty Moose had right of way, the snowmobiler kept encroaching was acting in an agressive manner and brandishing a firearm.

Stand Your Ground; this video clearly shows Marty Moose had right of way, the snowmobiler kept encroaching was acting in an agressive manner and brandishing a firearm.

I'm sure Marty felt threatened, but he was jaywalking and impeding the flow of traffic. Since I didn't see any Skittle or Watermelon Iced Tea, I'm betting he's probably one of those "Occupy Snowmobile Path" protestors I've been hearing about. 

Edited by BigK
  • Like 1

If you're going to shoot the moose don't leave it there to bleed out.  The guy seems like a wanna be tough posting his weekend on Youtube.

I tend to think he got scared, he sure scurried past and didn't let up until he was on down the trail.

Not saying he was in the right or the wrong but did seem a bit jittery to me. I understand that it was a young moose and all but wouldn't he still be 4-500 pounds? I know a 150 pound Whitetail deer can shred you with it's hooves so why would I expect a moose 3-4 times the weight to be any less capable? Yep, the guy shouldn't have turned off as soon as he saw the moose but once the mistake was made should he have sat there and taken a stomping? I wouldn't have put myself in the position he put himself in but if I found myself threatened by a Moose or anything else there's no question in my mind as to what the fate of the moose would have been.

• Like 1

I tend to think he got scared, he sure scurried past and didn't let up until he was on down the trail.

Not saying he was in the right or the wrong but did seem a bit jittery to me. I understand that it was a young moose and all but wouldn't he still be 4-500 pounds? I know a 150 pound Whitetail deer can shred you with it's hooves so why would I expect a moose 3-4 times the weight to be any less capable? Yep, the guy shouldn't have turned off as soon as he saw the moose but once the mistake was made should he have sat there and taken a stomping? I wouldn't have put myself in the position he put himself in but if I found myself threatened by a Moose or anything else there's no question in my mind as to what the fate of the moose would have been.

I don't think there is any question that one would be in reasonable fear for their life if attacked by a moose like this. I absolutely would have put it down if attacked. However, this serves as an example of why people who carry a firearm need to exercise caution, rather than be bolder, in order to avoid a situation where deadly force is the only option.

Another poster pointed out that he wouldn't have been so bold if he was unarmed. I guess we don't know that for sure, but I'd say it is a fair assumption. Either way, just as if the moose was a person, you don't get to provoke a situation with the intention of ending it with deadly force. I agree that this man was in fear for his life. I also think it is clear he provoked the situation because he figured he could shoot his way out. For that, he is responsible for the outcome. His reward should be whatever fines or jail time is associated with that.

Guest RebelCowboySnB

Another poster pointed out that he wouldn't have been so bold if he was unarmed. I guess we don't know that for sure, but I'd say it is a fair assumption

Thats one of the statements people say all the time that bug me. Without knowing the guy we have no idea what he would do unarmed. There are people that grow a set when they strap on a gun but from what I can tell most people act the same way they always did. Dumb people continue to do dumb thing. Careful continue to be careful. Confrontational people continue to confront...

Case in point. Me an a girl were running around on the river in a jeep. My brother an his friend were in a truck behind us. We pulled in a store to stop an talk.(The TA Fireworks in the middle of I-24 in Marion county Tn) A large group of people were there an at some point my brother pointed out that they were talking about us. I in my stupidity drove my jeep over to them an jumped out. I walked my 108 pound self up to the biggest guy in the middle of the group to "talk." Me with a girl my size as backup in the face of 10+ guys much bigger that I knew had some kind of issue with me. I was not armed but they were. They scattered like I was armed though.

Now if I did something like that now that I carry every day, this group would say I would not have done that without a gun but the fact is that I would an have. The gun has nothing to do with it. Most people are who they are.

Thats one of the statements people say all the time that bug me. Without knowing the guy we have no idea what he would do unarmed. There are people that grow a set when they strap on a gun but from what I can tell most people act the same way they always did. Dumb people continue to do dumb thing. Careful continue to be careful. Confrontational people continue to confront...

You have a valid point, but I think it is very reasonable assumption that most folks would not approach a pissed off, 500 lb animal if they didnt have a means to stop it. That is why I'm more inclined to believe that this idiot made the choices he made because he knew he could shoot his way out in a pinch. I'm not saying that there aren't stupid people who approach dangerous situations completely unarmed, but when they are they need to understand that if they decide to shoot their way out they are responsible for the results because they initiated knowing they would default to deadly force.

In other words, someone who provokes a situation with the intention of shooting their way out if it goes sideways is a trigger happy POS. I think this guy fits the mold.

You have a valid point, but I think it is very reasonable assumption that most folks would not approach a pissed off, 500 lb animal if they didnt have a means to stop it. That is why I'm more inclined to believe that this idiot made the choices he made because he knew he could shoot his way out in a pinch. I'm not saying that there aren't stupid people who approach dangerous situations completely unarmed, but when they are they need to understand that if they decide to shoot their way out they are responsible for the results because they initiated knowing they would default to deadly force.

In other words, someone who provokes a situation with the intention of shooting their way out if it goes sideways is a trigger happy POS. I think this guy fits the mold.

I still think he was totally naive about how dangerous moose can be, I have had runins with many deer in my day and they always run away except for one big buck one time that snorted at me from a distance, then ran away. Anyway, if I didn't watch wildlife shows and learned about how aggressive and bold moose can be then I may think of one like a deer which is what I think this dude did, a stupid assumption on his part. I do have a problem with him posting his video online like he was proud of it. If it was on youtube we could all post about what a dumbass he was.

(update) It is on youtube, i'll have to sign in later and call him a dumbass. Edited by K191145

I still think he was totally naive about how dangerous moose can be,

That is also possible. I certainly don't underestimate the stupidity and ignorance of people.

That is also possible. I certainly don't underestimate the stupidity and ignorance of people.

When I went to Yellowstone I saw quite a few people get out of their car and walk up within 10 yards of Buffalo to take a picture, I got out of the car to take a picture but I rested the camera against the open door, ready to sit right back down and shut the door if one came too close. Not only were they getting too close, some let their kids get too close also.