Do I need a Gunsmith to fit an ambidextrous safety on my 1911

Guest reillyt868

Guest reillyt868

Somewhat new to TGO I have been creeping reading ya'lls posts for awhile. That being said I haven't seen this post yet if it has already been asked I apologize for beating a dead horse.

I recently became a man and purchased my first 1911 a Springfield 1911 Mil Spec, now a man still a dumb lefty and I need an ambi safety and after a few days of research and taking apart my pistol a few times it seems that I need to go see the TGO Famous Jeff Walle and have him fit one to my gun.

Should I take it to him or try myself? I feel like this task is very easy and a waste of his time. 

Thanks in advance TGO Members

Somewhat new to TGO I have been creeping reading ya'lls posts for awhile. That being said I haven't seen this post yet if it has already been asked I apologize for beating a dead horse.

I recently became a man and purchased my first 1911 a Springfield 1911 Mil Spec, now a man still a dumb lefty and I need an ambi safety and after a few days of research and taking apart my pistol a few times it seems that I need to go see the TGO Famous Jeff Walle and have him fit one to my gun.

Should I take it to him or try myself? I feel like this task is very easy and a waste of his time. 

Thanks in advance TGO Members

You should be able to do it yourself just fine.  Milspec 1911s are super easy to break down all the way to the frame.  Don't be afraid to do that every so often just to practice.  I'd suggest searching YouTube and watching a step by step video of it to make you more comfortable.  If you run into problems at some point and are afraid to go forward or backwards, just put the pieces in a ziploc bag so they don't get lost, and then post here with the issue. 

You shouldn't have any trouble though.  I've learned how to take apart my iPhone 4 all the way down to replace the digitizer and screen just by watching YouTube videos, and that is an hour and a half process.  Once you practice a few times it should take you no more than a couple of minutes to break down every little piece of your 1911 and put it back together.

Can you? Yes, but you really need to know what you are fitting and why?

If you want a fairly good explanation here is a good read.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=416928

You will also need to know if your current grips are cut for an Ambi Safety.

If not, you could cut them yourself. Or buy them (what I'd do) already cut.

I personally don't trust myself enough to install one. And honestly I would advise you to take t to a professional and have it done.

You really can't put a price on SAFETY.

• Like 1

Can you? Yes, but you really need to know what you are fitting and why?
If you want a fairly good explanation here is a good read.
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=416928

You will also need to know if your current grips are cut for an Ambi Safety.
If not, you could cut them yourself. Or buy them (what I'd do) already cut.

I personally don't trust myself enough to install one. And honestly I would advise you to take t to a professional and have it done.
You really can't put a price on SAFETY.

I think that depends on what you're getting for an ambi safety. I've done several on milspec 1911s and didn't have any issues. I've never owned a Springfield but I would just assume there are aftermarket ambi safeties made for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Guest reillyt868

Everywhere I read states that it needs to be fit for it to work perfect. My grips are precut FYI, and if you watch the video below you see him using a file to fit the safety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xkbaDL3vvE

Thanks for the input guys

You will have to file one small portion of the thumb safety, making a flat ledge, so it rests firmly against the sear to prevent movement when engaged. I've never had a new safety that drops in. They aren't supposed to do that. If you were about 80 miles to the south I'd be glad to do it for you or show you how.

If you're going to tackle it, get one of those miniature file sets and use the standard rectangular file. Take your old safety out and compare it to the new one. It's easy to see where the material needs to be removed and the profile you want. You can put the frame together without the grip safety installed to get a better view as you work. Just remember to take off small amounts at a time when you are almost there and do a test fit after each stroke of the file. When it's properly fitted, the sear will have zero movement when engaged and you will have a nice crisp click. Edited by quickbiscuit

I've installed a couple, being a southpaw myself. I'm not particularly mechanically inclined, but I found it to be a fairly simple, straightforward process. You will likely need to do a bit of filing and/or stoning. Take a little off at a time, and reassemble and check your progress often. You can always take a bit more off, but adding material back is a bit more involved process.

I feel it is a good exercise, and it will help you understand the operation of your pistol more thoroughly.

By the way, welcome to TGO! :up:

If this is a pistol you use for carry and your life may depend on, I'd take to a gunsmith.

Why?

I know what is in there if I did it. I have no idea what the gunsmith did to it. Not necessarily a 1911 safety, but I've seen some seriously botched jobs come from supposed gunsmiths.

Why?

I know what is in there if I did it. I have no idea what the gunsmith did to it. Not necessarily a 1911 safety, but I've seen some seriously botched jobs come from supposed gunsmiths.

Why?  Because I've seen the work that a bubbasmith can accomplish.

• Like 2