Question about ak kit

sigmtnman

Am I missing something here? Wouldn't this kit be NFA since it has machine gun parts?

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=111178552

"*A FEW LEFT !! GREAT PRICE !! ONLY ONES WITH ALL MACHINEGUN FULL AUTO PARTS INCLUDED AVAILABLE ANYWHERE ! BRAND NEW NEVER ASSEMBLED YUGO Yugoslovian AK-47 Underfolder parts SET Complete LESS Stamped receiver ONLY ! BRAND NEW BARREL plus Receiver rails and rivets are also included ! Parts are NEW and never been assembled..so the HUGE CHORE of disassembly is not required ! BARREL is BRAND NEW never mounted at all ..NOT a shot out surplus barrel found in most all of the YUGO AK sets...These YUGO parts sets have the unique GRENADE LAUNCHER fold down front sight which folds down when not in use..Also includes a beefy trunion and heavy duty parts ..Compared to other AK47 parts sets these YUGO sets are much sturdier & well built..Stainless Steel Bolt assembly is standard in these parts sets ..Contains the 23 mm front barrel trunion & the folding stock assembly also brand new...RIFLE IS MILITARY RIFLE & INCLDES ALL FULL AUTO PARTS .....This set will make a GREAT START to that AK-47 build project that you are starting at a GREAT price for an underfolder !! Be sure to get one of the AGI DVD or VHS Gunsmith's Video courses that we sell on other auctions to GREATLY simplify the daunting task of putting one of these babies back together as a legal AK-47 rifle....Thanks for looking !"

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint

In regards to the OP's question... I guess it would depend on what exactly "all full auto parts" means. I'm not all that knowledgeable on the AK platform, but would have thought that a FA sear would run more than they're asking for the kit. :D

Maybe someone with AK experience will chime in.

But having full-auto parts doesn't necessarily make it an NFA item. Lots of people run the full auto BCG's in their AR rifles.

It is perfectly legal to own the full auto fire control group. The receiver is what the BATF considers the machine gun. FA AK receivers have a 3rd hole drilled in the FCG area. Since this is a kit which does not include a receiver it is perfectly legal. By the way the barrel that comes with this kit is a Green Mountain barrel made here in the USA

I can't find it now, but I thought i read that just having the parts as considered having the machine gun. It was something telling folks to check their american conversions to make sure none of the illegal parts were left by mistake, such as the non auto trigger group.

On further thought, I think it was if you owned a semi-auto version of the gun for which you have auto parts, weather assembled or not, it unlawful.

So, I guess you can own the kit with the machine gun parts as long as you don't assemble it to a receiver or already own one that is assembled in addition to said parts.

I just did a cursory search of the BATF website and it appears that if you own the FA FCG and the FA receiver it is considered a "machine gun" even if it is not assembled. I am sure one of the Class III dealers on this sight will come along and clarify.

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly

If you don't possess the receiver, then you don't possess the machine gun. Period.

Some people keep the rate reducer and the other FA parts from these kits. I'd just as soon get rid of them.

Some Saiga 7.62x39 rifles got through in '06 that had the "Y" pin hole bored out and a dummy cross bar placed through the hole. This is considered a machine gun, and the ATF is in the process of getting all those rifles back for replacement. Even if the holes are welded over, it doesn't matter. Still a MG. Can you imagine if they showed up to your house for the Saiga or some other rifle, and there on your workbench was a complete Romy kit you were going through with all the FA parts laying on a shop towel? Conspiracy is easy to prove, and it carries stiff penalties.