SP101 Problem

charlessummers

We shooting today with three new-to-me handguns that I haven't had to chance to shoot. First was a new Glock 19. Gen3. Absolutely wonderful! Tight groups easy to control. The second one was a Glock 30, Gen3 which I got from a member here on trade. Once again, a wonderful firearm! Third was my SP 101. It was pulling a little to the left, even when firing while resting on the bench. Not too bad for a 2 1/4" barrel, but a little more than I was expecting. My S&W 642 is much more accurate.

Problem with the SP101 started after about 10-15 rounds. Shooting single or double action, the fourth shot would hang. Meaning that I couldn't pull the hammer back in single action, nor squeeze the trigger in double action. I first though this was build up between the cylinder and the forcing cone, so I wiped it off and tried again. When it happened again, I left pressure on the trigger (while still pointing downrange) and tried to assist the cylinder. The problem wasn't the cylinder, but something inside the trigger mechanism. I can unload the pistol and dry-fire it and it will do it too... but after a few minutes sitting, I can't get it to hang. I was using standard pressure WWB 130gr ammunition, and the pistol is suppose to handle +P ammo... so I'm sure it wasn't an ammo issue.

I was planning on giving this one to my mother, as she really liked it when I showed it to her, but now I don't feel right about it. I know Ruger will take care of it, but I was wondering If there was some simple little thing I was overlooking or missing. As far as I know, the pistol is stock other than the wooden grip inserts that I added.

PS: If I send it back to Ruger, should I put the other black plastic grip inserts in? I hear some companies will return it back with all stock items put back in if there has been any mods.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no revolver expert, but it'd seem to me like the trigger, pawl, and cylinder latch do the same thing on every trigger pull. Do you think it's possible that one of the cylinder indentions is damaged, causing the latch at the bottom to hang up or maybe the ratchet has damage and the pawl is hanging up when it tries to turn the cylinder? Edited by BigK

I'm no revolver expert, but it'd seem to me like the trigger, pawl, and cylinder latch do the same thing on every trigger pull. Do you think it's possible that one of the cylinder indentions is damaged, causing the latch at the bottom to hang up or maybe the ratchet has damage and the pawl is hanging up when it tries to turn the cylinder?

BigK, may be right on this. I also saw a revolver once that had a slightly bent ejector rod, and when the cylinder got around to where the bend was it was hard to get the cylinder to rotate. if all else fails, just send it back and get it fixed. Good luck.

Did the problem start after you installed the new grip inserts? Outside possibly over tightened the grip screws could bind up the action of the hammer spring running on the strut. Remove the entire grip and dry fire. I've also dis/re assembled the trigger guard assembly on one of my SPs (I am NOT a gunsmith) it not clear what would bind up as described. BigK may be onto something, next time it locks up see if you can depress the cylinder latch. Both the pawl and latch have very small plungers and springs, one of those springs could be kinking up.

I'd take it apart and clean it really good. I know this a a really generic and overly used answer to most problems.

But seeing how easy Ruger made it to take these things apart it can't hurt and gives you great access to look at all the part for damage.

Trust me, it SUPER easy to do.

There are many videos on it. And the manual has pretty good directions too.

Here is one of many videos I found

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCYQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DilWsXwKbWlo&ei=UE8BU-eeJ4XJsQTv-ILgDA&usg=AFQjCNE3ZIxJqUa0j0EWIc1hvUrtvcF2Iw&bvm=bv.61535280,d.cWc

I've taken it apart before and cleaned it. It's as simple as my GP100 so I've been there and done that several times before. I've decided not to clean it or anything, but to send it to Ruger the way it is. It is still doing it today after sitting all night. Hopefully they'll be able to duplicate my issues.

Thanks for all your advice.