Blade length and switchblade prohibition repeal bill HB1883 needs help

As some remember I'm a Knife Rights member and helped last year with the attempt to get state preemption in place to get rid of the crazy quilt of knife laws across the state.  We succeeded with that and now you can work, live, shop, and play across the state and know that the law here and "there" are the same.  We weren't successful in getting the state 4" blade length restriction repealed nor the antiquated switchblade ban removed thanks to the House.  We're going after those again and need everyone's help to let the House members know we want these absurd laws removed from state law.

Tennessee Switchblade Ban Repeal Bill HOUSE Comm Hearing on Tuesday - CALL/EMAIL TODAY!

The House Criminal Justice Subcommittee will hear HB1883 on Tuesday, February 18.With the holiday, we need you to EMAIL or CALL TODAY! HB1883 is the companion bill to SB1771 and would repeal the antiquated ban on switchblade (automatic) knives and possession of knives over four inches in length "with intent to go armed," a vague law subject to abuse.

If you live, work or travel in Tennessee, please contact the Subcommittee Members listed below and ask them to vote in favor of HB1883. If one of them is your Representative, then emphasize that fact when you call or email. You can find your Representative here: http://www.capitol.tn.gov/legislators/

Whether writing or calling, all that is necessary is to simply ask that they vote YES on HB1883. That's it, keep it short and to the point.

Chairman Rep. Tony Shipley (615) 741-2886 rep.tony.shipley@capitol.tn.gov

Rep. Eric Watson (615) 741-7799 rep.eric.watson@capitol.tn.gov

Rep. Jeremy Faison (615) 741-6871 rep.jeremy.faison@capitol.tn.gov

Rep. Raumesh Akbari (615) 741-3830 rep.raumesh.akbari@capitol.tn.gov

Rep. G.A. Hardaway (615) 741-5625 rep.ga.hardaway@capitol.tn.gov

Rep. William Lamberth (615) 741-1980 rep.william.lamberth@capitol.tn.gov

Rep. Antonio Parkinson (615) 741-4575 rep.antonio.parkinson@capitol.tn.gov

Rep. Micah Van Huss (615) 741-1717 rep.james.vanhuss@capitol.tn.gov

All I had to do was send an email to each of the above individually like this - 

Representative,

I ask that you vote in favor of HB1883.

Thank you,

XYZ

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I urge you to support HB1883 (Switchblade Ban Repeal). I have a HCP. I find it ironic that the state of Tennessee allows me to carry a firearm most anywhere I wish but does not allow me to carry a blade with a spring in it to allow me to open it automatically. If springs are so deadly, might I add that there are several in the Glock 19 I carry daily?

Some may claim that switchblades serve no true utility. However, I argue that it is not about utility or usefulness, but instead freedom. Switchblades themselves are no more dangerous than any other small folding knife, except in the fact that Hollywood has demonized them much in the same way they have the AR-15. What better way to show the country that freedom is welcome here in our state than by repealing the ban on switchblades?

Might I also add that switchblades do indeed offer true utility. If this were not the case, why would it currently be legal for EMS/Police to carry them? The answer is quite simple; Sometimes it is beneficial or even necessary to deploy a blade with one hand. Granted, there are already many "switchblade workarounds" that make opening a knife as quickly or even quicker than using a switchblade, but I firmly believe that in Tennessee we should have the freedom to carry whatever knife that we see fit based upon our individual situations instead of trusting the state to make that decision for us.

Also, if a criminal were intent upon breaking the law by using a knife to harm or endanger others, I am 100% certain that they would also be willing to break an existing law banning switchblades and blades over 4". Therefore, the existing law is meaningless and only restricts the law abiding because the criminals could care less about the law.

This was my email. Not for anyone to copy and paste, but rather to perhaps inspire someone with what to write. Do it now!