AR build inquiry.

vontar

I have the TGO lower, upper and BCG.

About how much should I expect to spend on getting the rest of the parts to get it up and running?

I have been looking and barrels seen to be 200 plus.

Then I got an email from Aim with these kits.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XATIRKT04A&utm_source=AIM+Surplus+Main+List&utm_campaign=52eec012d7-02072014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6870497a6a-52eec012d7-19096349

519.  They had another kit for 419 but are currently sold out.

I appears if I were to get one of these I would have some extra parts, like an upper and BCG but still wondering if that would be good for a starter and then add on or modify as needed later?

ATI Socom a poor, fair, or good choice?

I think you will find mixed reviews about ATI parts in general.  I think it comes down to if you want to deal with having to track down every piece yourself or are more comfortable with getting a kit and knowing you have what you need.  You can probably create a better overall quality AR by careful selection of parts for the same money.  I took the chance with mine to go ahead and jump into the details and learn what each part was so I would be more familiar in general with AR's.  I am not a big AR guy, but I enjoy the "building" aspect of it.  If you are like me, I end up spending twice as much as I intended because I always go for the best value, which isn't always the cheapest.  I want high quality for a good price, leaning typically towards the higher end products just because I typically go for buy once, cry once.  You should be able to find a barrel for less than $200 though.

With that said, that kit will probably do everything you want it to.  If you have the time and energy, I think it is worth picking out each part and having the satisfaction you built it yourself.  It will require a couple of tools you may not have, so that may add to the cost a little, but there are others around typically willing to help.

If you do happen to decide to go the kit route, let me know if you are interested in selling your CMT Upper and BCG.  I bought an extra lower not sure what I was going to do with it, but now would like to have another upper that matches it as I am turning it into an SBR and am going to build another upper for it. 

I guess in short, I think you can get everything you need or finish it for $500 pretty easily.

Edited by Hozzie

Here is a decent place to get "kits".

https://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=151

Any of these kits comes with EVERYTHING except the stripped lower.

Here are stripped uppers from the same company:

https://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=152

You could buy just the upper then buy a LPK and the stock you want. 

I've gotten my lower built. and some parts for my upper are supposed to come by(UPS) tomorrow. But all I need is BCG, Barrel, Gas tube, gas block and of course the charging handle. I figure the BCG and Barrel are going to be my expensive parts as I plan to make a 300 BLackout. Then the furniture will be high. but still not sure if i want a carbine or a full (longer) handguard.

I will just agree with what others have said. I have bought kits, pieced ARs together, and built just lowers and Vought uppers. It all depends on what you want to do with the gun and how much you want to spend. Check out palmetto state armory as well...great products at amazing prices! And swing by ar15.com it has everything you would need to know about ARs and they have a place to buy and sell where you can pick up things for a great price.
I say piece it out. I've bought an upper pre assembled, I've built one from parts I've selected, and I've built another one from "spare parts".

While I'm still a big fan of my PSA upper, if this is to be your one and only, IMO you're better off taking your time and cherry picking the exact components you want. I doubt I will build my TGO set anytime soon as I'm still not 100% on what I want from it, I do know it won't be economical.

If these were run if the mill components I'd say go for a kit for sure, but they're not, spend the extra and build something with a high level of quality, you won't regret it if you ever have to sell, and surely not if it stays with you. If you need tools, I'm sure a local member can help, if not I'll mail you most of what you need.

I have 3 to build, 2 TGO's and one Pink one I brought *which is also a CMT Tac*

The clearest plan I have for any of them is the pink one, Going to built it for my wife and I want to make it pretty for her.

I am planning a chrome or Stainless steal barrel for her.

Other then that, keeping weight down is second on the list.

So you have two stripped TGO uppers?

Regardless, I don't know why you'd want to buy an new, complete upper assembly as has been suggested only to break it down for the parts. Guess what you'll end up with?

Edited by Garufa

If you do happen to decide to go the kit route, let me know if you are interested in selling your CMT Upper and BCG.  I bought an extra lower not sure what I was going to do with it, but now would like to have another upper that matches it as I am turning it into an SBR and am going to build another upper for it. 

I guess in short, I think you can get everything you need or finish it for $500 pretty easily.

Even if I do go kit.  I plan to use the match uppers. 

To answer Garufa, I went whole hog in.   2 lowers, 2 uppers and 2 bcg.  My credit card screamed.  But I figured it was a one time thing.

For my first build, I might go kit, just to get the hang of it and to make sure I get everything.  Beyond that, I will probably pick and chose.

OK,

I am still looking at kits.

Still looking at the following options for my first built and to learn all the parts involved.

XATIRKT04    $419

ATI AR type .223/5.56x45 caliber Rifle Parts kits. Everything you need to build a rifle except the lower receiver and trigger guard. Features a Melonite Socom Profile 1:7 Barrel with NATO Chamber. Complete Chrome lined Bolt Carrier Group. Includes everything as pictured.

XATIRKT04A   $519

ATI AR type .223/5.56x45 caliber Rifle Parts kits with Troy Industries 9" Alpha Rail. Everything you need to build a rifle except the lower receiver and trigger guard. Features a Melonite Socom Profile 1:7 Barrel with NATO Chamber. Complete Chrome lined Bolt Carrier Group. Includes everything as pictured.

Both at Aim Surplus.

For bling for the wife they also make chrome or SS FCG parts like the trigger, safety, pins and some other parts.

Might be worth it to have some parts actually chromed like the bolt hold open, flash hider, mag release and maybe a front sight. The sight will be fine because the post will not be chromed. Depending on what stock you could also chrome the castle but and the the end plate. Chrome the pin for the ejection port door and maybe the forward assist.

There is a lot of stuff you could chrome to bling it out more than just some pink furniture.
  • Like 1
Piece it together using quality parts, you won't regret it. You can also keep your credit card from screaming again by buying just one or a few pieces at a time. Since you're unsure of what to do, I would put it to the side as TrickyNicky suggested. Focus on you're wife's, and use it as a learning curve for your builds. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]now Free[/URL]