Picked up a couple new long guns today.

I decided to put a portion of my tax return back into the economy via my LGS. I have been wanting another M&P 15-22 since my dumb ass let my "1st gen" 15-22 go a few years ago. I accidentally stocked up on .22 long before the shortage. I have upwards of 7,000 rounds (sorry, none for sale) so I have been holding out for another M&P. I just ordered some duracoat in coyote tan for a weekend project. I also found an older 870 Wingmaster 12 guage. I have been wanting an old quality "beater" for a while. I have tried to date it and it said either 1994 or 1970 I think. I think it may be the latter. It has a bit of cosmetic wear but is smooth as silk. I don't mind saying, I gave $250 for the 20" wingmaster. I put around 40 rounds of ol' cheap 7 1/2 shot through it this evening and some Hornady buckshot. Ran very smooth. Just thought I'd share. BTW, any help dating the 870 would be appreciated. Barrel stamped "CO". Serial on the receiver reads: T685xxx V. ena6u9az.jpgyvy6u9yj.jpg

Edited by glowdotGlock
[quote name="gjohnsoniv" post="1109169" timestamp="1392096661"]I like the Wingmaster as well. You should Duracoat that one tan as well so it can hang out with all the cool kids.[/quote]I actually thought I may try it. It would look good. The duracoat site claims it will work on just about any surface. I assume it is stainless, maybe nickel? Edited by glowdotGlock

It's rough as hell but I've fell in love with it. It's good to have a couple of ol' guns in the collection that you just don't care if you beet them up a little. Gonna see a lot of time on duty around the campsite and on the rack on the 4 wheeler this summer. I wanted to put some sort of shell holder on it because I don't wanna extend the tube. I like the way it looks but didn't want to mount one on the side of the reciever. So what I did was take the plastic shell holder of of the metal back of a side saddle that had been stripped and just mounted the plastic on the butt stock. Don't look too bad. ajyhudar.jpgygagyne8.jpgesavusan.jpg

Ok, I just got in touch with a buddy of mine that is a shotgun collector and has been for 50 years. He is more into Winchesters and has about 75 of the Winchester Model 12's in all different grades that were ever made but he does have some of the older Remington's and his educated guess is your gun was made back in 1957 which was to his knowledge the only year Remington did make a stainless steel 870 Pump. He said in about 1992 they did begin using a process called electroless nickle plating but is only used on the Magnum editions and came with laminated stocks and fore arms. He said if you do have one of the original stainless guns it is worth far more than the $250.00 you paid for it and since it is dressed in wood and not neoprene his opinion is you do have a 1957 model. That was his opinion but he said you could check further and make sure he is correct but he also added that the number you said was on the gun is an older style number compared to all the later models.

I just got off the phone with remington. She said it was a 1977. And your friend is right about the nickel plating starting in 92. She said that it is probably not an original coating. I am leaning towards it is original. I would like to find out some more about it. Edited by glowdotGlock

That Wingmaster has some serious character to it.  I have a friend that contacted Remington to date a Sportsman 58 and they provided a manufacture date that was several years after the date he purchased the shotgun.  Either he's got a bad memory or they have some potential glitches in their records.

• Like 1

Half tempted to say someone removed the bluing due to the letters being sharp, if someone refinished it that wouldn't be so sharp also the finish on the bolt looking slightly different than the receiver and barrel ( bright vs. more matted) look at some of those old west Winchesters that had worn through the bluing or an old Colt SAA  bare metal that doesn't seem to rust..

a touch of cold blue would tell you if this is the case the darkness around the ejection port looks like the front strap on my 10mm before I cold blued it

My 10mm used to be "in the white" when I raced it back in the day  you changed so often that finishing the gun didn't make sense and just handling it often and wiping it down kept it from rusting and the sides of the slide were just as shiny as that receiver.

Bluing comes off with Naval Jelly or other acidic compound a quick steel wool workout and you could get what you have there as a finish they could have decided it looked better than a ratty bluing job and baked it in oil which is another old trick to "impregnate" the steel pores with oil to resist rusting, many an old model 12 looks like this though not as even, also a coat of wax is an old trick I use on my duck gun 5 years in a blind and not a spot of rust on the bluing it would do the same for bare steel.

Looks cool from here but I can understand refinishing it if it will be living in a truck.