I just broke my press!

Even though a Lee Classic Cast will serve you well (I own the Breachlock version), you should avoid all the girlie presses mentioned in this thread (except for David), and get you a Forster Co-Ax. It's the best single stage press in the world. :)

I don't have as much time as i'd like to load so a single stage will not cut it for me. Not saying that there is a thing in the world wrong with a single stage (i'd be interested in a Forster) but I am saying that for ME, my shooting would be severely limited by my ability to load especially during the warmer months.  What do the Forster co-ax presses run price wise?

I understand. I wanted a single stage press. Does Dillon even make one?

I was in no way trying to talk you into purchasing a Dillon or any other press for that matter. I was answering your question " If dillons were as good as everyone who cheers for them says, why would they need a warranty?" 

I apologize if it came off as me trying to steer you. 

I don't have as much time as i'd like to load so a single stage will not cut it for me. Not saying that there is a thing in the world wrong with a single stage (i'd be interested in a Forster) but I am saying that for ME, my shooting would be severely limited by my ability to load especially during the warmer months.  What do the Forster co-ax presses run price wise?

Greg has mostly traditional style guns. He doesn't chew through ammo like some of us. The Co-ax is pricey. $305 at Midway, when you can get 'em.

Greg has mostly traditional style guns. He doesn't chew through ammo like some of us. The Co-ax is pricey. $305 at Midway, when you can get 'em.

I assumed he didn't blast through as much since a single stage would suit him. If I shot mainly bolt guns and lever guns I would never have even thought about a progressive but I shoot quite a bit and also take folks that don't have guns and ammo of their own out quite often and that usually eats up tons of ammo. 

$305 sounds pricey for someone just wanting a beginner single stage press but it doesn't seem all that bad to me looking at it from a consistency standpoint. That may be something that I pick up once I finish and get going with the Grendel.

I was in no way trying to talk you into purchasing a Dillon or any other press for that matter. I was answering your question " If dillons were as good as everyone who cheers for them says, why would they need a warranty?" 

I apologize if it came off as me trying to steer you. 

I understand. That is no doubt a fine piece of equipment you have. Like I said before, if I loaded that kind of volume, I would definitely be looking at one for myself.

I'm just not a tool guy. I want the least expensive thing that'll get the job done satisfactorily. Now I'll spend some money on a gun. I don't consider them tools. I know people who feel the same way about guns as I do about tools. Everyone is different.

Edited by gregintenn
When I started all I could afford was a Lee turret press. I got way more than my money's worth out of it and it still works when I need it to. If I were starting over, I'd buy another one. In all fairness, though, if I loaded as many rounds on it as I have on the Dillon that mostly took its place, I have no doubt it would have some broken parts by now.That's why my newest is also a Dillon. I intend to load as many rounds on it as I have on my other. I don't feel like that's a bad reflection on my original Lee press, however. It just wasn't meant for the kind of volume/speed I want now.

I got into reloading about 2004, so I'm still a newbie, but I bought the best I could afford at the time (buy once, cry once). It was a Lee Classic Turret. I have Lee dies and extra turrets for the calibers I shoot and have reloaded 1000s of rounds on it. I am quite happy with it and have only replaced little plastic parts. I have looked at the Dillon presses but they are still out of my reach. My Dad always told me " to do the best with what you got " and the Lee is doing very well for what I'm using it for. I did splurge on myself at Christmas and bought a Dillion Super Swager... paid for by massive overtime. Dillion products are top notch, but still too pricey for my budget.  

Edited by ArmyBrat61
  • Like 1
Guest TresOsos

They are sort of like Glocks; not only do the owners like them, they can't comprehend why everyone doesn't own them.

What an insult to Dillion, Dillons are more like Baers,Browns and Wilsons and yeah I can't comprehend why anyone would own a Glock.

My new press is scheduled to be here tomorrow, so life can go back to normal. :up: You go smiling Larry Potterfield! :D "That's the way it is."

Hey so is mine! Got a new XL650 with case feeder and a crap ton of accessories. Scheduled to show up tomorrow.

Also ordered 10k 9mm, 4k .40, and 6k .45. Those get here today.

Let the fun begin!

Think I need a bullet feeder... Ha

Hey so is mine! Got a new XL650 with case feeder and a crap ton of accessories. Scheduled to show up tomorrow.

Let the fun begin!

And I'm making sure your 550 still churns 'em out as well :).

• Like 1

Let the fun begin!

Let me know what you come up with for a bullet feeder.

• Like 1