Penn & Teller against Gun Control

Fun to watch. Surprised a bit that they are pro-gun.

I don't think it's pro-gun as much as it is pro-Constitution/pro-liberty. I doubt Penn or Teller owns a firearm for self defense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't separate the two.

Well many folks do, and this is the reason why.  For example, Penn also supports the right to drink alcohol.  He has very strong opinions about the prohibition.  At the same time, he's never had a drop of alcohol in his life.  He has no idea what it tastes like and has no idea what the sensation of drunkeness is like.  He also supports the right to take drugs that are currently illegal.  He has never taken drugs before; he doesn't believe in it.

So, the point is you can support a person's right to do something, such as drink, do drugs or own a firearm without actually believing in the act of doing so or participating in the act of doing so.  It is kind of in line with his quote in my signature.  You have to be able to put your personal beliefs aside and acknowledge that other people may believe different, and those beliefs are every bit as valid to them as your beliefs are to you, and so long as those beliefs do not directly infringe on the rights of others then we should defend those beliefs.

For all we know Penn and Teller are pants wetters around actual loaded firearms.  Not the point.  They still believe in your rights regardless of their personal hang ups.  If only a majority of Americans could be the same.

Edited by TMF
  • Like 3
[quote name="TMF" post="1106842" timestamp="1391669494"]Well many folks do, and this is the reason why. For example, Penn also supports the right to drink alcohol. He has very strong opinions about the prohibition. At the same time, he's never had a drop of alcohol in his life. He has no idea what it tastes like and has no idea what the sensation of drunkeness is like. He also supports the right to take drugs that are currently illegal. He has never taken drugs before; he doesn't believe in it. So, the point is you can support a person's right to do something, such as drink, do drugs or own a firearm without actually believing in the act of doing so or participating in the act of doing so. It is kind of in line with his quote in my signature. You have to be able to put your personal beliefs aside and acknowledge that other people may believe different, and those beliefs are every bit as valid to them as your beliefs are to you, and so long as those beliefs do not directly infringe on the rights of others then we should defend those beliefs. For all we know Penn and Teller are pants wetters around actual loaded firearms. Not the point. They still believe in your rights regardless of their personal hang ups. If only a majority of Americans could be the same.[/quote] Well said.
Guest drv2fst

They use guns in their shows on occasion.

I really like Penn & Teller.  I don't always agree with them but their arguments are well thought out and well presented.

For example, they are atheists and I don't agree with them but still really enjoy hearing their point of view and respect them for their honesty, intelligence, and civil debate of many very controversial topics.

Edited by drv2fst