The Dayton (TN) Gun Museum

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC

In case anyone in the area doesn't know, Dayton has a gun Museum. I haven't seen it mentioned here (Or missed it) so thought I would mentioned it. It isnt just a Museum it is also a modern gun shop. I have been stopping in there now and then for several years, usually just to find something in particular then leave. Always looked around but not long since I was usually too busy. Yesterday morning I stopped in and ended up in there with the owner for over 3 hours. And Ill be going back just fr the Museum. I have been to a lot of Firearms and Armaments Museums, although this is not a giant Museum, it is loaded with Firearms, Relics, Swords, etc. 

This man has two original examples of the first firearms (Rifles) ever made in the US (And they are huge). I have been to the National Firearms Museum several times, and although he doesnt have anywhere near the numbers they do (Who does?) he has some examples of Lever Guns and Saddle Guns that easily match some of those in the NRA Museum. And he told me yesterday "And I have shot all of them". He has just about, and at least one example of nearly every type of Civil War era Rifle made, Revolutionary Era rifles, he has a Revolutionary pistol, engraved with documentation that is really nice to look at. Military rifles, Garands that he points out are not CMP rifles. He has an original rifle in near pristine condition from I believe he said, the 1916 Olympics which were not held but was used later. Military helmets, WWII German Helmets, one that has a hole that looks to be from a 30 cal because of its size, and it is volcanoed out and perfectly geometrical. Civil War Sabers, Swords and Artillery Short Swords, relics, and too many different relics to mention. Uniform accouterments, coins struck before their were medals, he told me he has so many relics he has 5, 5 gallon buckets he purchased years ago and hasn't even gone through. Pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns, he even has a mountain howitzer. Several prototype firearms. And a lot more than just this. And on top of it he is a modern firearms dealer and his prices are not bad at all. For example he has a Rock Island Tactical for I think $419, which is less than even online most places, his Glock prices are on the low end, you can buy Smith or you can buy Hi-Point, he carries those too. 

I took some pics but only had my cell, so only two came out worth looking at. Ill post some more tomorrow since he is only a mile from my house. The Museum entrance fee is very fair, free.

I say if you live within reasonable distance, it is certainly worth the drive if you like Firearms, because he has plenty I have never seen before, several that I didnt even see at the NRA Museum, but of course they dont have everything out at once.  If you need directions let me know. 

Also I asked if it were OK to post photo's on here and he said sure. He isnt a member, but he is an older man and he and his wife own and run the place and from talking to him, he isnt much into computers, said his computer went down and it took him a year to even get it fixed. 

Here are the two that came out

This first one he says everyone he asks has no idea what it is, even the experts have never seen on, because what it is, is a prototype of a short Musket. And since it is a prototype you probably wont ever see one, at least not in person. 

20140124_151828-Copy-Copy_zps5cabdba1.jp

And this one I actually learned something from. I am not an AK fan, I like them, but have only owned three and two of those were in .22 cal. And he points at it and says "See that, that is an excellent rare example of a Remington Model 8. I asked if it was a knockoff of an AK and he said "No, the AK is a knockoff of it. This gun was manufactured and sold starting in 1911, except for this one which was manufactured in 1906 and designed by John Browning". Well, and I will admit that I know little about AK's, I decided to go home and do some research. So Kalashinikov wasn't all people make him out to be. That receiver including the one on the AK, is a John Browning design. Thinking well maybe the action is different. Well not exactly according to my reading, the action was improved by FN Browning, well maybe the detachable magazine? Nope, Browning designed the Model 8 with a detachable magazine for Law Enforcement use. Of course there are differences, but further reading I come across an article that says Kalashnikov was asked by anothe designer why he was taking credit for a gun that was mostly made of parts other people designed, his answer, converted to American English "If it aint broke, why fix it". So the locking lugs on the AK came from te design of the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine, the receiver and safety from the Model 8, the gas system from the Sturmgewehr 44. (As you can see prior to yesterday I didnt know that), so I am less impressed with an AK than I was before and more impressed with the genius of Browning and Garand.

20140124_150636-Copy-Copy_zps3cdd87c8.jp

Is this the one that is in Graysville? South Rhea Gun Shop, they are pretty nice people, and they have good gun prices. Back a few years ago when OD Glocks were $700 on gunbroker, they had a new G21 OD for $549, same price as black ones.
Guest TankerHC

Is this the one that is in Graysville? South Rhea Gun Shop, they are pretty nice people, and they have good gun prices. Back a few years ago when OD Glocks were $700 on gunbroker, they had a new G21 OD for $549, same price as black ones.

Yep, thats the one. 

Guest TankerHC

Yep, really nice people. Couple of times while showing me his guns he stated "Ahh, just a bunch of junk". I offered to haul it off in my truck, told him I could pretty much guarantee to get it all in one load. Said he didnt think so because this is only a small part of it. 

I've purchased several guns there.  The wife was always the only one there.  It's easy to spend as much spare time as you have just looking at stuff.  It's not all on the walls or in cases.  It's stuck away in corners and all over the floor.  It's a great place to visit.

Cherokee Slim

Guest TankerHC

Go down 27 towards Dayton, it is actually 1/4  mile before the Graysville line. If you see the cemetary on your left, your 1/4 mile too far. It is on the left. You have to look, even though it has "Gun Shop and Museum" in giant red letters, it is down in a depression so you come up on it and you will be past it in 50 feet, but it can be seen. It is right off the road. Front of the building has "Professional Injection Molding" in those same big red letters and the building is made of cinder block. 

If your going towards Sale Creek you wont even see it. 

Edited by TankerHC
Guest TankerHC

When you come out of Sale Creek you go through about a mile of area with woods on both sides, when you come out in the open, start looking left. This is what your looking for. It will be down in a depression.

IMG_0133_zpsa87610d1.jpg

Edited by TankerHC
Guest TankerHC

Tuesday through Saturday 10-6. If you go there during those hours and they are closed wait ten minutes. The old man isnt always there and the lady who is always there steps out but usually comes back in 10 or 15 minutes. 

Guest TankerHC

The more I read about him, the more I think there should be a national holiday for JMB.

Didnt some state last year set a State holiday and make the M1 Garand their State Rifle along with someone else's pistol their State Pistol. Tried googling couldnt find it.