Golden Retrievers?

Does anyone know or can anyone recommend any golden retriever breeder in the near to Middle Tennessee area? Me and my fiance are looking for a 6-10 week male golden retriever puppy and they seem nearly impossible to find without spending $1,000 plus. Is this the norm or am I just looking in all the wrong places? We have only ever had rescued dogs up to this point so we are venturing into new territory. Any advice, recommendations, or hook-ups would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!  :usa:

G0020120_zpsc1175f47.jpg

It isn't in Middle TN, but I know a great breeder near St. Louis.  I got my Golden from them and she was the best dog I have ever had.   She passed in 2010 and if I was home more, I would already have another from them, but I am just not home enough right now to get a puppy.  The only thing about them is that you probably won't be able to just call up and they have one available.  I waited 6 months and pre-paid to have my pick of the litter.  They have a big following by a lot of the St. Louis sports teams as they have excellent hunting dogs, both Goldens and Labs.  Tony Larussa also has a couple of dogs from them.  I just say that to say they are a very good breeder.   I don't know what the price is now, but I can highly recommend them.

http://www.sieverskennels.com/current_litters.php

• Like 1
I would suggest some more research into the breed. 1) NEVER buy a 6 week old pup. 8 weeks minimum, 12 preferably. Pups learn a tremendous amount of social skills from their mom and siblings between 6-10 weeks. 2) Expand your search. Great breeders often mean a little travel. The breeder I get my boxers from is an hour south of Indianapolis. Do not pick a breeder solely based on location. 3) Price is not important (well not the top concern). You will pay thousands of dollars for your pup over its life. The choice is either pay it up front for a well bred, genetically sound pup; or, pay it over the life of the pup in special diets, surgeries, vet visits, and heart aches. Goldens are very prone to eye problems, hip problems, and many other genetic issues due to poor breeding and tremendous popularity over the years. Start here: [URL]http://www.grca.org[/URL] Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Like 1

I would suggest some more research into the breed.
1) NEVER buy a 6 week old pup. 8 weeks minimum, 12 preferably. Pups learn a tremendous amount of social skills from their mom and siblings between 6-10 weeks.

2) Expand your search. Great breeders often mean a little travel. The breeder I get my boxers from is an hour south of Indianapolis. Do not pick a breeder solely based on location.

3) Price is not important (well not the top concern). You will pay thousands of dollars for your pup over its life. The choice is either pay it up front for a well bred, genetically sound pup; or, pay it over the life of the pup in special diets, surgeries, vet visits, and heart aches.

Goldens are very prone to eye problems, hip problems, and many other genetic issues due to poor breeding and tremendous popularity over the years.

Start here:
http://www.grca.org

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

All excellent points.  I did a lot of research when I got mine and I checked their records.  Sievers did warranty their Goldens from those issues when I got mine and I am sure they still do, but good to ask none the less.  Most breeders give you two years to have hip displatia checked for.  They can find it very early now.    

I would suggest some more research into the breed.
1) NEVER buy a 6 week old pup. 8 weeks minimum, 12 preferably. Pups learn a tremendous amount of social skills from their mom and siblings between 6-10 weeks.

2) Expand your search. Great breeders often mean a little travel. The breeder I get my boxers from is an hour south of Indianapolis. Do not pick a breeder solely based on location.

3) Price is not important (well not the top concern). You will pay thousands of dollars for your pup over its life. The choice is either pay it up front for a well bred, genetically sound pup; or, pay it over the life of the pup in special diets, surgeries, vet visits, and heart aches.

Goldens are very prone to eye problems, hip problems, and many other genetic issues due to poor breeding and tremendous popularity over the years.

Start here:
http://www.grca.org

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We have researched the breed a great deal and continue to do so. We are also well aware that 8 weeks is the preferred minimum. I mentioned six weeks so we might have more time in order to make preparations for a new pup.

To clarify, we are not looking for the best breeder in the United States. We are both college students and have too small of a budget too large of a one time expense. I WILL pick a breeder based on location and price IS important to us. We would prefer to find one from a registered breeder for a better guarantee of health and we have found some around the $400 range but many states away. I understand that they are an extremely popular dog and many issues exist as with many medium/large breed dogs especially ones bred as proliferously as these.

We are by no means looking for a show dog as you can see by our budget. We wouldn't even be against a rescue (we've had many with no problems) as long as we could, for once, raise one from a puppy. We have done lots of research and read lots of books about raising dogs as well as books specific to the breed. A little credit wouldn't be so bad.  :)

Rescuing a mutt from the pound is very noble and honorable, don't get me wrong. But, there's something special about getting a certain breed of dog that you've always wanted.

I finally got the American Bulldog I always wanted about 10 years ago and she's been more special to me than any other dog I ever had.

She'll pass eventually and once I get over the heartache, I'll go to the pound, rescue a mutt, and love it as much as I can. However, no other dog will compare and I won't even try "replacing" her with another from her breed.
  • Like 3

Rescuing a mutt from the pound is very noble and honorable, don't get me wrong. But, there's something special about getting a certain breed of dog that you've always wanted.

There's a big misconception that every dog in shelters are mutts. Many people would be surprised at how many pure bred dogs can be found in their local shelter. If they don't have one in the breed you're looking for right now, they probably will soon. Many shelters will notify you if/when a specific breed arrives. If not, there are breed-specific rescue groups that work out of private homes that can help find your pure bred furry friend.

As Bob would say - Remember to have your pets spayed or neutered.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 3

Having ran Field Trials and Hunt tests with retrievers for over 20 years, I am fairly familiar with buying, breeding, and training retrievers.  First off, goldens are fine pets, but as mentioned they do have some genetic problems which can be minimized by selective breeding.  Check the breeding for hip and eye certifications at a minimum.  Also the 'magic' time to get a pup is 7 wks.  After that they are simply learning 'dog' stuff.  The best dogs learn 'people' stuff early.

These folks may be of assistance: http://www.mtarc.org/contact.html

Edited by chances R
  • Like 2

I recommend www.brooksgoldenblessings.com. They are responsible breeders with quality dogs. And, they don't charge an absolute fortune.

Here's my boy Peyton; he was an incredible dog. He passed last September.

14AAAD3B-5607-475E-AA87-8465E2DAC226_zps

Edited by LawVol
  • Like 1