savage or remington 22 rifle

clarky07

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion… wait a minute let me check this thread first….Okay…

Is that if you want a semi it would be between Remington and Ruger.

The 10/22 is hands down the most popular .22 on earth and there are a lot of goodies for it. The bad thing is that you need to rebuild it to make it an accurate shooter.

The Remington 597 is an accurate shooter out of the box and (to me) is closer to the size of a full size rifle. The problem with it is that it jams like crazy for the first 500-1000 rounds.

I don't know jack about a Savage.

The Remington 597 is an accurate shooter out of the box and (to me) is closer to the size of a full size rifle. The problem with it is that it jams like crazy for the first 500-1000 rounds.
The 597 that joined the family a couple or few months back hasn't had a jam issue yet. It's only issue is with 1,500 fps CCI rounds it sometimes doesn't lock the bolt back when the mag goes empty.

Now, it did have to go back to the factory when the extractor popped off of the bolt, but it was taken care of rather quickly.

Guest bang-flash

Ruger wasn't mennioned but I enjoy my 10/22. I managed to finally shoot it last w/e. I fired several types and brands of ammo through it including subsonics and it shot everything no problems. The mag release and bolt catch will take me some getting used to but otherwise decent rifle. I will however change the trigger group for something a little more smoother.

I saw some nice bolt action 22's today. CMP has some Mossberg Gov't M44 .22 target rifles (with Lyman diopter sights, heavy duty stocks and bull barrels) for $175. They're in pretty good condition. Can't beat the price. I thought about getting one, but I'd already picked out an M1 carbine and a really, really nice garand. (the garand looks unissued, I swear).

You can find CMP on the internet, go through the process, order it and have it delivered to your door. Specify one thats' blued, not parkerized.

Ruger wasn't mennioned but I enjoy my 10/22. I managed to finally shoot it last w/e. I fired several types and brands of ammo through it including subsonics and it shot everything no problems. The mag release and bolt catch will take me some getting used to but otherwise decent rifle. I will however change the trigger group for something a little more smoother.

I'd highly recommend the Volquartsen Automatic Bolt Release and the Extended Magazine Release. Made my 10/22 much easier to operate. You can get them just about anywhere gun parts are sold online. Very cheap and easy to install.

well i ended up getting the remington 597. i took it for a test drive saturday and it wasn't too bad. it did jam up like twice as mentioned earlier in the thread but if that goes away after a few hundred rounds i am fine with that as everything else was good.

One thing - when clarky's 597 jammed I think it was because we tried it using the Winchester .22 ammo which was just a hair longer than the Remington.22 ammo.
Same thing this weekend with a 597. A box of 500 Winchester jammed one round minimum at least every third magazine. I'll never buy Winchester for the 597 again. In fact this box of now approx. 400 is going to just sit. If someone out there wants it I may do a PIF.

For the first 1000 rounds nothing would run reliably in my 597 except CCI mini-mags.

If you go over to Rimfire Central they have a whole section of how to fix the problems.

You gotta take the good with the bad. So it jams a little. But when you compare groups with guys that had to spend more on their barrel than you spent on the gun and scope; it will make you smile.

Guest Grizzly Johnson

I have a Marlin 925 and have never had a complaint. The other day I saw the Browning T-bolt and seems to be a step from the ordinary.......... maybe a little pricier but could be better too!!