AR 10 Floating Handguard Advantages?

I'm a new owner of a SW M&P10 and I'm looking at what I might need to install. I have ordered YHM flip-up sights and also a Burris P.R.E.P. quick release mount. I've seen AR's with floating handguards, but to install you need to cut off parts, etc. Is the floating handguard that much of an advantage, I know they look kool. Those that have installed one, what do you think? thanks

If you're referring to a handguard that free-floats the barrel, e.g. no points of contact past the barrel nut, the general consensus is that it provides increased precision. 

What parts are you thinking need to be cut off for the installation?  From what I've seen (and with the one I installed) you generally only need to remove the muzzle device, gas block, and barrel nut, and the last only if the handguard uses its own proprietary nut.  I think Daniel Defense and a few others make handguards that don't require barrel nut replacement.

• Like 1

The instructions I have read and videos I've watched show cutting off Delta ring, springs and retainer behind barrel nut.Some require removing old barrel nut and installing proprietary barrel nut. The SW M&P10 has a mid length gas tube with Picatinny rail on gas block. I assume this gas block would have to be replaced with a low profile gas block to use a longer length floating handguard or would you use a mid length floating handguard to end prior to current gas block? Does these additional parts cost justify the improvement in accuracy and having more rails on handguard?

I'm gonna wade into this conversation by way of a "blast from the past"... I used to shoot lots of long range rifle stuff back in the "old days" with turn bolt rifles... But rifles is rifles and the general principles should apply everywhere...

We always free floated barrels because of shot repeatability...(...And we never shot a group with a "clean" barrel; we always took a "fouling shot"...)  A free float barrel arrangement, no matter if turn bolt or AR, allows the barrel to vibrate freely and return to its natural rest position every time regardless... Lots of hunting rifles and some semi target stuff that wasn't free floated (...most weren't...) would string vertically as the barrel heated up and open up target groups.... Free floating a good barrel will make your rifle shoot better... Free floating a so so rifle will make it shoot a litttle bit better... It's been my experience that a rifle has a good barrel or it doesn't... Havin said that, there are individual differences to consider... I had (...and still have...) a 300 win mag 40X remington that went from about 1 1/2 at 100 (...which is a bit too short for it and the 308 i think...) to less than one inch at 200 yards with good loads and a simple free float and bedding.... (...Then again, the 40X had a helluva barrel and good trigger, genuine target gun...).

If a rifle has a good barrel (...and trigger...), it will shoot pretty well "as is".... If ya "free float" it, it will shoot better... If your rifle is shooting groups like a shotgun; dont worry about "free floating".... If it's shooting pretty good groups (...make sure it aint you, in both cases...), it will shoot better with a free float... If you are shootin a minute of angle (... about 1 inch at 100 yards...)... Leave it alone, no matter whether free float or not... Most off the shelf guns (...and some marketed as target or custom....) wont do any better, no matter the treatment (...except a new, high dollar target barrel and trigger, that is...) no matter what people say... 

The "heart" of any rifle is the barrel and the trigger... If they aint good, the rifle is "so so" to ratty... If they are good, the rifle is good... 

Some of our more precision minded target guys may wade in and disagree on some details here; but i think ive given ya the "readers digest" summary of the free float thing... By the way; if its a AR 10; big kick, big flinch (...some times...) bigger groups... AR 15, should shoot good (...no kick...) smaller groups...

Hope this helps and livens up the conversation a bit...

leroy

If you believe John Paul (JP Rifles), free floating the barrel on an AR pattern rifle is the most significant thing to can do to improve accuracy. Mounting your gas block under the handguard is strictly a cosmetic thing. There's nothing wrong with using a midlength handguard and an external gas block. 

The Daniel Defense Omega rails will allow you to free float the barrel without modifying the rifle at all. It bolts right up to the delta ring assembly. They're pricey, but they're also problem solved with no hassle. The military buys a lot of them.

As stated, it will increase accuracy. But...I wouldn't get too hung up on it. If you're bad about keeping a sling wound tight, or leaning heavy on the gun when shooting from a rest....then you might see the advantage of a free float On a AR10 with the ability of the round to reach out and touch something I certainly would free float it. On something like a 16" carbine AR15, where most folks run a 3-4moa red dot, I wouldn't worry about it nearly as much Edited by KKing