TN State GOP leaders reluctant to reopen gun debate

Very disappointing!  WBIR Channel 10 reports today:

Gun rights advocates are asking for a bill that would bar businesses from firing employees who keep handguns in their cars, but Republican leaders say they are reluctant to reopen the debate.

The Tennessee Firearms Association has called on lawmakers to support a bill meant to clarify a law passed a year ago that lifted criminal penalties on workers who bring handguns to work if they have a carry permit. The law requires them to keep their guns locked up in their cars and out of sight.

The so-called "guns-in-trunks" law was supposed to settle a debate that had pit business groups against Second Amendment activists, but a opinion issued in May by the state's attorney general upset that equilibrium by suggesting that workers still could be fired for bringing guns to work under Tennessee's at-will employment laws.

The TFA says the original measure was "poorly written," but Republican leaders, including Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey, say they will oppose attempts to reopen the question.

Citing an analysis written by legislative staffers, Ramsey said last week that Tennessee's employment law creates a "public policy exception" that protects workers from being punished for carrying handguns in their vehicles. Ramsey also said employment lawyers are advising their business clients not to fire workers for having guns in their cars.

So far, lawmakers have shown little interest in taking up the question.

House Majority Leader Gerald McCormick, R-Chattanooga, has filed a pair of measures that clarify other aspects of the guns-in-trunks law. House Bill 1404 would protect gun owners if someone happens to see them putting away their guns, while House Bill 1405 says gun owners could leave their weapons in any vehicle they happen to be driving, not just one that they own personally.

McCormick did not rule out the possibility of further amendments, but he did not think they'd be necessary.

"These may not be perfect. Maybe they need to be modified," he said. "But I don't think so."

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/politics/2014/01/21/tenn-gop-leaders-reluctant-to-reopen-gun-debate/4739027/

Guest RebelCowboySnB

Ding!  Election year.  Don't expect anything controversial to pass or even be introduced. 

Election years are when things usually get done here. Everyone wants there name on big news worthy bills...

It's a bad bill...  there are much better bills that shouldn't be opposed by the Chamber or big business here in TN...  local park preemption for example.

The Chamber will be the most vociferous of opponents on the Parks issue, their paid hack will be front and center to declare how dangerous it is to allow anyone who is not LE to carry a firearm for any reason outside their home while beating their chest about how much they support the 2nd Amendment.

• Like 2

But it's very important that we can buy wine in grocery stores . . .

LOL.  A few days ago, one state rep objected to Facebook speculation that this issue was an example of "follow the money".  I asked him if it were indeed true that money was not being spent by either side in lobbying the issue, would it hold the priority with legislators that is does today...he hasn't seen fit to reply.

• Like 1

They're really going to put up a serious fight to removing local parks preemption, after 3 years and no incidents of a permit holder shooting up a park that wasn't posted?

Even if the Chamber fights it, they lost last time...  FedEx and Company won't weight in either way.

The Chamber will be the most vociferous of opponents on the Parks issue, their paid hack will be front and center to declare how dangerous it is to allow anyone who is not LE to carry a firearm for any reason outside their home while beating their chest about how much they support the 2nd Amendment.

GK is right on this one; it is, indeed, about "...follow the money..." (...i think...)....  If ya read some of the news articles carefully; you will note that a "legislative staff study" indicates that corporate lawyers for big companies are supposedly recommending against firing folks for cause because of guns in parking lots if no crime has been committed... I don't know whether that is true or not; but it makes political sense in today's "edgy" climate... I do know that the political class likes the support and contribution(s) of the big companies... I think they are like the little "mugwump bird" (...sittin on the fence with their head on on side and their tail on the other; as my sainted mother used to say...) hopin this one will go away and are sending a signal (...i think...) to the big companies to lay low... I say make em take a public stand and vote out the ones ya don't like... The hell with the political class!!

populist leroy, the anti-mugwump activist

LOL.  A few days ago, one state rep objected to Facebook speculation that this issue was an example of "follow the money".  I asked him if it were indeed true that money was not being spent by either side in lobbying the issue, would it hold the priority with legislators that is does today...he hasn't seen fit to reply.

I saw that.  Noticed the lack of response as well.

They're really going to put up a serious fight to removing local parks preemption, after 3 years and no incidents of a permit holder shooting up a park that wasn't posted?

Even if the Chamber fights it, they lost last time...  FedEx and Company won't weight in either way.

See what Nashville's Mayor Dean is running on it already.  Of course they are going to fight it, Chiefs of Police, most Sheriffs, UT, that same cabal that always opposes Liberty in any form. There is no love for the average Citizens' ability to possess a firearm, it might dip into their control don't you know!

Edited by Worriedman
  • Like 5

A politician is unwilling to make a stand on an issue during an election year when it might lose him some votes, even if it might gain him some? Stop the presses! Next thing you'll tell me is that Obama didn't keep all of his election promises.

The real question is.....did he keep ANY promises?.....then again, there's some on the list I'm glad he broke!!!

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/rulings/promise-broken/?page=1 Edited by Randall53

Starting with the Gov himself...  http://www.wsmv.com/story/24532875/haslam-has-major-concerns-on-guns-in-parks-bill

Haslam, and every other politician, needs to be required to answer this question;

What gives the Tennessee Legislature the authority to grant any local governmental entity the power to ban any right articulated in the Federal and/or State Constitutions? Can they tell Dunlap it's okay to control free speech? Do they have the power to allow Covington to ban religious gatherings? Are they allowed to authorize Fentress County to convict without a trial?

As ridiculous as those things sound, I see no difference between those things and allowing a guns in parks ban. Our Tennessee Constitution says "That the citizens of this state have a right to keep and to bear arms for their common defense; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime." It does not say they can delegate that authority to other parties. Of course, they also continue to overlook the part that says "with a view to prevent crime". They should be required to prove that the legislation actually addresses a crime instead of creating a crime where none existed.