Missing a rifle

RC3

I am thinking about another semi auto or a bolt action, trying to figure out what would complement this group. I have two ar 15 platforms now, a Ak platform and a roller platform. I cant decide if I should pick up a remington 700 series rifle in .308 or a G3/M14 platform. What would you guys recommend? And I know I am missing a nagant. I need to go buy one as well. I would like to keep the budget under $1500 if all possible on recommendations.

http://imgur.com/vfW8d42

And I still cant get a damn photo to appear like you guys do. 

Well, I'm a big semi-auto .308 fan. I had a CETME which is a G3 pattern and it was ok, but they are rough on brass if your a reloader. The M14/M1A is what I run now and I love it, but they aren't cheap. A base model springfield is gonna run you $1300 or more. So if your budget of 1500 includes glass you'll be better off with a bolt gun. A decent M14 optic mount comes in at 150 to 200, and then you still have to buy glass. But they are a classic and amazingly fun to shoot. For what its worth my M14 is more accurate than my CETME was. But its not a fair comparison since its been bedded and had trigger work done. The CETME and most G3 triggers I've felt are heavy and not good for accuracy. The irons on the M1A are also some of the best ever put on a rifle. Tapatalk ate my spelling. Edited by Spots

I would add a bolt action precision 308 like the Rem 700. Savage also makes great rifles and the accutrigger that comes on some Savage models is going to be better then anything on a Remington. Howa's seem to get pretty good reviews over on SnipersHide as well and come in at a lower price point.  I would also recommend something larger such as an American Bulldog or Staffordshire Terrier to compliment that tactical dachshund. 

I would add a bolt action precision 308 like the Rem 700. Savage also makes great rifles and the accutrigger that comes on some Savage models is going to be better then anything on a Remington. Howa's seem to get pretty good reviews over on SnipersHide as well and come in at a lower price point.  I would also recommend something larger such as an American Bulldog or Staffordshire Terrier to compliment that tactical dachshund. 

That dachshund been by my side thru thick and thin for the past 8 years. Hell, the needs a medal for his dedication. But I think a doberman would make a good body guard for him.

Springfield M1A. Either a scout squad 18" or SOCOM 16"

I am leaning more towards the M14 since the C93 is essentially my beloved G3 in a smaller caliber. As for a honest bolt action, the only rifles I ever had any dealing with are mosin nagants and 1903 spring fields.

not sure what a roller is, a rolling block (?) maybe?

A lever action might be a nice choice, I prefer them to bolts, but then again, I am left handed and levers are neutral.  Anything but .22 or 30-30 is a little more trouble to find but you can get anything from a big pistol (357, 44) to a medium-large rifle (308, 45-70, etc) in a lever with a little research.

A bolt gun is a classic choice, no "collection" is complete without one.  Most of mine are 30+ years old so I can't say much there on what to get.  I do have a 700 in 243 and its a sweet shooting rifle, also an older version of that model.   The mosin is not a good example of a bolt gun, its rugged but not exactly a shining jewel of the art of gunsmithing.  You need to borrow a decent BA.  The 1903 is probably cleaner, but I advise trying a few more variations before you know if you want a BA or not.

More semis?  Only in a new caliber, a 308 makes sense.  Or a .22 for fun & cheaper shooting.

You're not missing a rifle, you're missing LOTS of rifles....  :)

That said...  M1A, Garand, FN FAL, 1903, K98, AR10, ...

As for your pic...  Right click on the picture and hit "copy image location".  Then hit the insert pic button in the editor here and paste into the field.  Viola.

vfW8d42.jpg

You're not missing a rifle, you're missing LOTS of rifles....  :)

That said...  M1A, Garand, FN FAL, 1903, K98, AR10, ...

As for your pic...  Right click on the picture and hit "copy image location".  Then hit the insert pic button in the editor here and paste into the field.  Viola.

vfW8d42.jpg

Not a big fan of the garand, shot quite a few of them and the m1 carbines as well (loved those); but if I buy a K98, I will have an urge to storm poland on top of a panzer IV. And that would not go too well. For me at least.

Edited by RC3

Not a big fan of the garand, shot quite a few of them and the m1 carbines as well (loved those); but if I buy a K98, I will have an urge to storm poland on top of a panzer IV. And that would not go too well. For me at least.

My mauser is one of the gems in my collection, its a 1909 not a k98 but the difference is minor.  This one IS a representative of the art of gunsmithing, a fine action, sweet accuracy, awesome design.  Shoots a round that is virtually identical to 308 but was invented before 1900, someone knew what they were doing...

My mauser is one of the gems in my collection, its a 1909 not a k98 but the difference is minor.  This one IS a representative of the art of gunsmithing, a fine action, sweet accuracy, awesome design.  Shoots a round that is virtually identical to 308 but was invented before 1900, someone knew what they were doing...

I have to give the germans credit where it is due when it comes to weapons. When they get something right, its damn hard to beat. But most people associate anything german with the nazi's so its a shame.

• Like 1

I have to give the germans credit where it is due when it comes to weapons. When they get something right, its damn hard to beat. But most people associate anything german with the nazi's so its a shame.

I've read a few books about WWII and noticed an interesting theme....   A large percentage of German soldiers considered the Allies "the opponent" while the Gestapo/SS were considered "the enemy". 

Yeah, 5.56 is great, but I want something with more power. I will mostly likely go M14 with my tax refund.

Ruger SR-762 is .308 . . . 

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr762/models.html

Street price is less than list, but still more than your target of $1500.

It's SR-556 little sister is an awesome weapon. I'd be torn between the 308 Ruger SR-762 and the .308 Springfield Armory M1A Socom 16 if I was starting fresh . . .

Edited by QuietDan

Ruger SR-762 is .308 . . . 

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr762/models.html

Street price is less than list, but still more than your target of $1500.

It's SR-556 little sister is an awesome weapon. I'd be torn between the 308 Ruger SR-762 and the .308 Springfield Armory M1A Socom 16 if I was starting fresh . . .

As awesome as that looks, im going to try and stick to a budget. That way, I have cash to play for bills instead of sleeping in the streets cuddling with a berrett.

• Like 1
Have you considered adding a bolt action but staying with a round that you already use?

Since you have an AK you might consider adding a CZ527 carbine size bolt action. It is shocking how accurate that little rifle can perform using the lowly 7.62x39. Of course it doesn't have the long range capability of a .308 but is much less expensive when it comes to feeding it.

A lot of suggestions have been put out there but what is your purpose for the new addition?

I'm one of those people.  When I bought my k98, just a cheap Russian capture, nothing expensive, I specifically went after a non-Nazi marked rifle (1936).  It's just a shooter with no collectible value whatsoever, but I had no desire to have a rifle which may have been manufactured by concentration camp slave-labor under my roof.  There wasn't anything intellectual to the decision; it was purely emotional.  I totally understand that the re-arsenal job was likely performed by soviet conscripts who were also basically slaves, and that my iDevices are produced under horrible conditions.  I just had a mental line drawn that I could not cross; there is nothing at all wrong about desiring or owning Nazi k98s, but for whatever reason I could not consider having one as a possibility.