1873 Single Action

I bought a Uberti cattleman used the other day and it seemed fine then. A few day later the hand spring broke. I found it after I noticed it was not always locking up correctly. I did a repair on the spring but still not getting a 100 % on the lock up. Every once in a while it will go past the bolt .

I have checked for burrs and had it apart several time . Checked the bolt , the lock up slots in the cylinder and the hammer . There were some burrs on the cylinder and it helped when I removed the burrs.

It is not always the same cylinder and it may go 25 times and lock up eveytime and the it will overshoot the bolt. I don't feel safe shooting it and not sure what to look for. I wouldn't feel right selling it and not telling the buyer of the problem either.

I am not a gunsmith but do tinker and don't mind working on it but not sure where to go from here. I am thinking of ordering some DVD but have not been impressed with previous DVD's that I bought for other guns.

Any suggestion on good info , what to look at or a gunsmith in the Chattanooga are that does action repair on single actions .

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same pistol, ya shooting hot loads? These are not Rugers.

I have not had this trouble out of mine.

I do reload and keep the loads lite, I am not a smith

and do not know where to send ya for help.

There are a few that live in you neck of the woods that will chime in.

It's not unusual for the hand spring to break on these ubertis... We used to shoot the percussion models and had the problem from time to time... We ordered replacement hand springs from Brownells... The leaf spring is a weak point on all single actions; no matter the brand...

leroy

• 3 weeks later...

Regular 38 special store bought ammo not even + P . The hand takes it to the correct place every time if you apply pressure to the cylinder .  So I bought a couple of video's but neither one showed my exact problem so I finally took a good look at it and here is what I came up with.

In the video's they talk about the cylinder jumping past or out of the lock up slot and leaving a burr coming out of the lockup grove. That is not what mine was doing . The bolt was coming up after the locking grove had passed and clearly hitting past the slot because of the way the mark was made from the outside of the cylinder goin into the cylinder . What I came up with was , for some reason the bolt / cly lock was not coming up and hanging in the frame too long letting the cylinder pass by and then snapping up

There was a rough spot on the hammer where the bolt rides over just before it is turned loose to pop up . It appears to be fixed and I will keep an eye on it . I don't do any fast shooting and you could feel it when it done it .