New Gun Bills--Pre-emption for local parks

I just saw this story on the news ticker this morning:  http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/24454404/tn-legislature-loads-up-on-gun-proposals

Forgive me if this already being discussed, but I couldn't find it on here today.  Not being from Tennessee, I would like y'all's opinions on these proposals.  From the brief descriptions given in the story, they sound good (except the last one about not enforcing federal gun laws, which probably has a snowball's chance of doing anything). 

I decided to go ahead and write the Rep and Senator from the area where I work.  I know my voice literally has less meaning to them than one of their voting constituents, but I thought I could at least give some rational arguments for overturning the ban on carrying in parks.  At least in the Chattanooga area, it seems like all the local governments have "opted out" and ban guns in their parks.  

An issue that we as a group, (or at least most of us) have wanted to see taken on since the bad jog the legislature did when they first put the original bill out. 

SB1496 / HB1407 Sen. Stacey Campfield / Rep. Tilman Goins

State Summary - As introduced, permits a person with a handgun carry permit to carry a firearm in any state, county or municipal park or other recreation area; deletes provisions allowing local governments to prohibit carrying in parks by resolution or ordinance. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

On its face appears to be the right stuff.  Do not know Rep. Goins, but from what I have ascertained he has the right stuff too.  An individual I have a lot of respect for says he is a true Patriot.  Hope to meet him in the next few weeks and express my gratitude.

Edited by Worriedman
  • Like 2
When I was living in Milan the mayor had to fight hard to get park carry passed. The only stipulation is that the local high school shares the baseball field with the park. So as long as there isn't a school ball game going on you are good. That is the problem they are going to find with this bill. Parks sharing school property. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......

This one is slated to come up in today's Sen Jud cmte meeting at 2:30pm Central; however, its on the heel of the agenda, so...  GA website also now indicates that Rogers has signed on as co-sponsor in the House.

Edited by GKar

SB 1496 (Campfield - permits a person with a handgun carry permit to carry a firearm in any state, county or municipal park or other recreation area; deletes provisions allowing local governments to prohibit carrying in parks by resolution or ordinance.) was rolled one week. 

SB1496:  http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/108/Bill/SB1496.pdf

Other firearms bills rolled today were SB1182 (Campfield - prohibits employers from inquiring about an applicant's lawful ownership of a firearm; prohibits an employer from conditioning employment on lawful ownership of firearm; confers immunity on businesses when permit holders store firearms in vehicle on business parking lot.) for one week and SB0495 (Green - requires the department of safety to provide a method for handgun carry permit holders to notify the department electronically on the department's web site of any change in the permit holder's principal place of residence.) for three weeks.  Links below if interested.

SB1182:  http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/108/Bill/SB1182.pdf

SB0495:  http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/108/Bill/SB0495.pdf

Go to the park and email him a post open carrying the day it becomes legal ;)

Trust me there is a certain speaker of the TN legislature I'll be doing the same to who was the only "republican" to oppose park carry when it passed.

If this does pass and becomes law, the first thing I'm going to do is to send an email to a certain Williamson County Commissioner and rub it in his face.

Edited by JayC
  • Moderators

Just sent this email to all members of the TN Judiciary Committee.  I urge everyone to do the same if you have not done so already.  This Bill is supposed to be up for consideration Tuesday, January 28th.  The email addresses to the Committee Members is listed at the bottom.

Distinguished Senators:

I ask that you support SB 1496.  

Tennesseans who hold a Handgun Carry Permit (HCP) have demonstrated time and time again to be law-abiding citizens posing no threat. 

The current situation of allowing the county or municipality to prohibit the possession of handguns in Tennessee parks has created a patchwork of laws across the state.  This patchwork creates situations where a law-abiding HCP citizen can unintentionally become a criminal.  By supporting SB 1496 this patchwork will cease to exist.

It has been proven time and time again that criminals do not follow gun control laws, nor most other laws, and definitely do not apply for Handgun Carry Permits.  

Thank you in advance for your support of SB 1496.

Edited by ggwilde
  • Like 1