AR-15 Bolt Wouldn't Lock Back

I recently started building up my CMT TGO upper and lower (which was way more painless than I'd been led to believe - combined they took maybe 30 minutes and I'd never done it before).  When I mated the upper and lower and started testing function, I found that my bolt catch would not engage the bolt lugs and lock the action open.  Looking through the ejection port, I could clearly see that something was impinging on the bolt catch and preventing it from pivoting into position.  It appeared that the bolt catch was contacting the upper receiver wall.  In order to test that, I removed the BCG and rear takedown pin.  When I pushed on the bolt catch as though I were locking the bolt back, I saw the upper receiver pivot up and away, confirming my suspicion.

Here's where I went wrong - I assumed that it was an issue with the upper receiver.  Here's where I went right - I enlisted the help of Dolomite_Supafly.  He suggested I mate a different upper to the lower (why didn't I think of that first? dumb!) and the problem was still present.  I then compared the bolt catch installed on my CMT lower with the one on my functioning RRA lower.  The picture below shows the difference - the malfunctioning bolt catch is on the left; the RRA is on the right.  You can clearly see how much more metal is present left of the centerline of that bolt catch and how that extra material would cause it to interact with the wall of an upper receiver.

The non-functional bolt catch was purchased as part of an LPK from IronWorksTactical.com.  I chose them because they offered LPKs minus grip and trigger - I wasn't going to use stock parts, so they saved me some money.  I've emailed them this evening with a description of the problem as well as the picture, so I'll post their response and remedy once I receive them.  All other parts worked as intended.

Unrelated aside - my RRA has the National Match 2-stage trigger installed, and if you're familiar with it you know that it's worlds better than a stock AR trigger (if you like a two stage trigger, which I prefer).  The Geissele SSA-E in my CMT lower throws the RRA NM trigger to the ground and has its way with it.  That is all.

A08F4FA1-00C2-41A1-9F20-078D90BCD26B_zps

EDIT: Response received from Ironworks 1/17/14; read the whole thread for resolution details.

Edited by StPatrick

A08F4FA1-00C2-41A1-9F20-078D90BCD26B_zps

I have the same Ironworks Tactical LPK, and mine looks like the one on the right. Yours must have slipped through QC. He is a great guy, and I'm sure he'll take care of the issue.

Yep, not saying I've seen all possible varieties, but I've never seen anything like the one on the left. It's like it was a process or two short  of being finished or something.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Yep, not saying I've seen all possible varieties, but I've never seen anything like the one on the left. It's like it was a process or two short  of being finished or something.

- OS

That was exactly what I thought upon comparing the two.  I think my non-functioning bolt catch was accidentally tossed into the finishing bin before machining was completed.

EDIT 1/22/14: Updating to reflect response from vendor - there was no manufacturing issue; an AR-10 bolt catch was added instead of an AR-15 bolt catch.  Having never spent much time with the 10, I did not recognize it as such, though subsequent posters did.

Edited by StPatrick

I have the same Ironworks Tactical LPK, and mine looks like the one on the right. Yours must have slipped through QC. He is a great guy, and I'm sure he'll take care of the issue.

I look forward to posting a nice resolution to this deal right here.  I'm glad to hear you've had good experiences with them.

I look forward to posting a nice resolution to this deal right here.  I'm glad to hear you've had good experiences with them.

$5 part, just a hassle to get one in your hand as this point.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I could be wrong but the one on the left looks like a bolt catch for a .308 AR.

Beat me to that one. Funny thing is that I would have thought it was an unfinished part until two days ago when I was reading over a guys AR10 build that had a good picture showing the bolt catch. I was excited that I was gonna get to solve the mystery...  :ugh:

• Like 1

As others here noted, what I received was in fact an AR-10 bolt catch.  I received an email from from the owner January 17 with an apology for not getting to my issue sooner due to SHOT, but I can't say I was upset in the least about that.  I expected everybody to be shut down while that was going on, especially the smaller shops that are trying to make a name for themselves.  I won't post the message, as it contains real names, but I will say that I appreciated what the man wrote and also how quickly and easily the issue will be resolved.  There will be no return authorizations or anything like that, just the correct part on its way to me.  I'll probably add the AR-10 catch to the "Pay it Forward" thread as I don't see myself getting into that platform anytime soon.  

I would unreservedly do business with Ironworks Tactical again.  I'm in manufacturing, and I know that no matter how good your procedures and processes are, eventually you're going to let a defective widget out.  Knowing that, my evaluation of any customer service experience is based on how well a defect is dealt with.  In this case, I am very happy with how I've been treated.

As others here noted, what I received was in fact an AR-10 bolt catch.  I received an email from from the owner January 17 with an apology for not getting to my issue sooner due to SHOT, but I can't say I was upset in the least about that.  I expected everybody to be shut down while that was going on, especially the smaller shops that are trying to make a name for themselves.  I won't post the message, as it contains real names, but I will say that I appreciated what the man wrote and also how quickly and easily the issue will be resolved.  There will be no return authorizations or anything like that, just the correct part on its way to me.  I'll probably add the AR-10 catch to the "Pay it Forward" thread as I don't see myself getting into that platform anytime soon.  

I would unreservedly do business with Ironworks Tactical again.  I'm in manufacturing, and I know that no matter how good your procedures and processes are, eventually you're going to let a defective widget out.  Knowing that, my evaluation of any customer service experience is based on how well a defect is dealt with.  In this case, I am very happy with how I've been treated.

Also, I should note that I just belatedly discovered that their trigger upgrade prices for the LPK were cheaper for Geisseles than my FFL discount via Midway and Brownell's.  I could've saved $20 had I paid more attention.  Shucks.

Anytime I experience exemplary service, whether it's because the company screwed up but then went to great lengths to make it right, sends repair and replacement parts for free (RCBS) or just did one heck of a job on the initial sale and got it right, I like to let others know and I like hearing those same stories from others so that we can do business with those that want it. Anyways, thanks for sharing that.

Anytime I experience exemplary service, whether it's because the company screwed up but then went to great lengths to make it right, sends repair and replacement parts for free (RCBS) or just did one heck of a job on the initial sale and got it right, I like to let others know and I like hearing those same stories from others so that we can do business with those that want it. Anyways, thanks for sharing that.

And that's exactly why I posted.  The old rule of thumb is when you have a bad experience you tell 20 people, while you might tell one or two about a good one.  The good ones deserve some attention too.