S&W M&P 9's Questions

GlockSpock

• Moderators

So, all these reading recently has gotten me quite intrigued by the M&P 9 pistols. For one, they are better looking than a Glock. However, the fact that they are USA made by a USA company means a lot to me as well. They are a tad cheaper than a Glock, although the cost difference is so small that it probably would not make or break a decision. I am quite curious about these guns, and have a few questions.

• Between the 9mm models, are magazines interchangeable like they are for the Glocks (17/19/26)?
  • I suppose the closest to a 19 is the M&P 9, and the closest to a 26 is the M&P 9c. It looks like the sizing for the M&P's might be a bit larger than their Glock counterparts. Correct?
  • What about the Shield series? Do they retain any (if any) magazine interchangeability of the M&P 9's?
  • Internally, are the M&P's on par with Glock on simplicity and ease of parts replacement?

I'd want one with no safety and no magazine brake/safety. I'd also want two. One to replace my 19 and one to replace my 26.

So far, I see the following:

M&P 9 Pro's

• Slightly larger magazine capacity (12+1 for the 9c and 17 +1 for the 9)
  • Slightly cheaper
  • USA Made/Owned

Glock Pro's

• High capacity magazines (33 round) readily available with 100% magazine interchangeability.
  • Longer track record.
  • Slight upper-hand on accessories availability but probably moot at this point.
  • Magazines seem more durable, but many people like the steel M&P magazines so is this even a point?

Reliablity/Accuracy questions are hard to answer because everyone has a different opinion. Many online reviews put the S&W's as being more accurate and others put the Glocks as being more accurate. I figure ultimately I need to shoot one but really I just need to keep what I have. I want one or the other and not both, that's my decision;)

Feedback desired, and if someone in Cleveland wants to go shooting, just let me know;)

Edited by CZ9MM
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

You can use tge full sized mags in a 9C but not the 9C mags in a full sized.

The shield is a different animal completely, no mag interchangeably.

I carry the 45C and a shield 40 as backup.

I have a 40, 40C and the 45C.

Good guns, good warranty.

So basically the same interchangeability as a Glock for the M&P's. Good to know.

Another pro for the M&P is the better ergonomics IMO.   

Not sure if this matters to you but If you are going to shoot and reload 40 S&W, the M&P has more shoulder support for case so you don't get the "Glock bulge" on your brass.  

Some say the Glock has a better out of the box trigger.   

Yes M&P has better ergonomics.  I really love my M&P's and have put several thousand rounds through my .40 with no issues.  But the Glocks do have a better trigger out of the box with the exception of the shields.

I've got a 40 full size, 9 compact, and Shield 9. I absolutely love them all! For the 40, I also have a 9 barrell. I have been able to use the same 40 cal mags loaded with 9 to shoot the lighter rounds. It only choked with the 9s when I was shooting upside down, TRYING to make it malf. I'd say that's pretty good for using the gun in a way other than designed!

I've had the 40fs the longest, and it's trigger has worn in to be pretty awesome! Ask w0lfattack, it's pretty amazing for a stock striker fired design. My 9c is only pretty good. It has about 300 rds through it so far.

The Shield is AMAZING!!! Completely different trigger than the others. It's a genuinely fun gun to shoot; accurate, with REAL sights and excellent handling. The recoil is way more tame than any other little gun in a "real" caliber I've shot.

Sorry for the gushing... I flippin' love these things!!! You can decide for yourself whether you trust their reputation, but Botach.com has M&P mags for $22-30 with free shipping right now.

Best of luck!

Oh, and my plan is to have an M&P Pro by the summer. I want one of each!!!
If for some CRAZY reason you're going to be in the S Nashville area this Saturday, I'm planning on going to the range around 10 AM. I'll have my Smiths and a few others with me. You're welcome to try all of them. I know that's like 2 hours away from you, but I thought I'd put it out there.
I have a M&P 45 with Apex competition trigger and its one sweet gun. Trigger pull is right at about 3lbs, extremely accurate and has been very reliable shooting idpa and uspsa. I like it so much that I am buying a 9mm Pro this weekend. I shot a Glock for 3 years in competition but for me the M&P beats it hands down.