License to hunt own land?

Quick question guys, sorry if this been brought up 100 times.

A friend of mine has a lot of land outside Nashville. All season he has been trying to get me down there to take my first deer. I asked about where to grab a license and he told me that he and his family don't have them, they've been on the land since not too long after the civil war and I guess feel they don't have to have one on land that is their family's legacy.

As for me, I desperately want to do some deer hunting this year, a big freezer and a license have been holding me back though.

What do you all think, can they hunt their land LEGALLY with no license? Can I?

I'm thinking not, but I guess it never hurts to check.

Quick question guys, sorry if this been brought up 100 times.

A friend of mine has a lot of land outside Nashville. All season he has been trying to get me down there to take my first deer. I asked about where to grab a license and he told me that he and his family don't have them, they've been on the land since not too long after the civil war and I guess feel they don't have to have one on land that is their family's legacy.

As for me, I desperately want to do some deer hunting this year, a big freezer and a license have been holding me back though.

What do you all think, can they hunt their land LEGALLY with no license? Can I?

I'm thinking not, but I guess it never hurts to check.

Deer hunting is over for this season. Unless of course by "this year" you mean fall of this year. Ask him to take you turkey hunting :) and buy a license.
Ah, see I show my ignorance all the time. Guess there's always next year for deer.

Turkey hunting eh? That might be even better as I'm sure I could fit a whole turkey in the freezer I've got...

I'll definetly grab a license if they get gobblers on their property. Might even be a good excuse for a new shotgun... :dirty:

In addition to what JWC and the others have said which is correct.  Do yourself a favor and read the TWRA hunting manual cover to cover, it is available online at TWRA's website or you can pick up a hard copy for free just about anywhere that sells licenses.  I seem to constantly hear that you can or cannot do something hunting related that is completely false information.  Hunting laws are not mythological, they are written out in an easy to read and mostly easy to understand format.  There are several laws in this state that either don't make sense or are in place for a peculiar reason, and even things that a non hunter or new hunter wouldn't think of but may accidentally violate.  Game wardens generally don't have a very good sense of humor and are pretty big on the whole "ignorance of the law is no excuse" thing.

• Like 2

If you own it or live on it as a tenant, you do not need a license to hunt it. I don't think you even need to wear orange to deer hunt on your own property. Seasons and other regulations still apply.

Orange is not required, but seems it would be a foolish act to hunt any property any where without orange on.

Dave

Edited by DaveS

While the landowner/family doesn't have to have a state license, if they hunt waterfowl they must have a Fed.Duck Stamp.  I also believe they have to conform to all other regs, such as seasons, bag limits, and wearing orange.

Absolutely correct. It seems there is an exemption to the requirement to wearing orange if you're hunting on your farmland.

Dave

Edited by DaveS

From the TWRA website/regulations   I personally don't think either is a good idea.....how many have friends that hunt with them, or others erroneously stray onto their land?

(www.tnwildlife.org). Landowners and their

children hunting on their parent’s land under

this exemption are also exempt from Hunter

Education Certification requirements and blaze

orange requirements

• Like 1

Don't forget "picking up a license" also typically means you have to sit through the hunter safety course. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dane is correct unless you were born before 1/1/69.  After that, then you must take the Hunter Safety Course. 

Not saying it's not a smart thing to still take if you are new to hunting but old enough that you're exempted.  

Even though you are getting good and correct information here....READ THE REGS FOR YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used so many exclamation marks because I have a relative that simply won't do it.

He is also too old to have to take the Hunter Safety course.

He gets THE WORST info and advice from his friends and neighbors.

As in all wrong, largely illegal and unsafe

Dane is correct unless you were born before 1/1/69.  After that, then you must take the Hunter Safety Course. 

Not saying it's not a smart thing to still take if you are new to hunting but old enough that you're exempted.  

I think it should be mandatory for ALL ages!

Dave

Even though you are getting good and correct information here....READ THE REGS FOR YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used so many exclamation marks because I have a relative that simply won't do it.

He is also too old to have to take the Hunter Safety course.

He gets THE WORST info and advice from his friends and neighbors.

As in all wrong, largely illegal and unsafe

It'll only take him one time of getting caught to straighten him out. Keep working on him.

Dave

Has anyone ever had their "hunter safety course card" checked? I remember taking it as a kid and even then it seemed a large waste of time. I guess that stems from the fact that I have been being dropped off in the woods to hunt since I was really young as well as handling firearms from a young age... It, kinda like the HCP classes, seem more a formality than anything useful. I reckon if you weren't raised around it all, it wouldn't be second nature and I guess those are the ones the need it. I'm not even sure that I could find my hunters safety card if my life depended on it.

Has anyone ever had their "hunter safety course card" checked? I remember taking it as a kid and even then it seemed a large waste of time. I guess that stems from the fact that I have been being dropped off in the woods to hunt since I was really young as well as handling firearms from a young age... It, kinda like the HCP classes, seem more a formality than anything useful. I reckon if you weren't raised around it all, it wouldn't be second nature and I guess those are the ones the need it. I'm not even sure that I could find my hunters safety card if my life depended on it.

As a volunteer with the Fish and Wildlife service and getting to do ride alongs, yes the Wardens check cards when checking license of Federal property. Never had mine or my grandkids H/S cards checked by the state weanies.

Dave

Edited by DaveS

I was issued Colorado Hunter's Safety Card #000168 in 1970. Colorado is an odd one. They've always been tough on gun owners and hunters, yet hunting accounts for a large part of their economy and tourist dollars. That said, taking a 2-day in person course was not a bad idea, although, until later shortened and even more recently offered online, it was so time consuming, the requirement discouraged many new hunters. It was essentially the same as an HCP class with emphasis on long guns and shotguns. Range time was with a supplied 22. Age cut-off for Colo. hunters safety requirement is 1949. Again, sure happy to live in Tennessee.

Edited by Vistar