Pistol barrel caliber conversions.

hipower

Ok guys, here's the situation. I'm looking towards getting a conversion barrel for one of my Glocks; specifically a 357 sig for a 40.

I did the usual search last evening and found what I think I want. Looking at Lone Wolf initially and got the references to the Glock Talk 21 page diatribe between several of it's members and the owner of LWD. It sure was interesting, but didn't really tell me much in terms of quality among the Lone Wolf, Storm Lake, KKM barrels.

I know the primary purpose most replacement/conversion barrel purpose is for firing lead bullits in the guns. But I'm just looking for the caliber conversion aspect.

Do you have any comments on the three? Ever used them? Recommendations?

At the moment, I haven't finished my look into KKM, but in general, thinking of the Storm Lake over the Lone Wolf.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you might want to bring.

Thanks.

I sold me G32 to someone on the board and had been using a .40 LWD barrel on it at the range, thing worked beautifully.  Can't say anything about the other brands, but I would have no hesitation in getting another LWD barrel in the future.

For no good reason at all, except an urge to try something different; I'm thinking I want to get a 357 sig barrel for it. I really don't need to do this, but I sold my G23, and have quite a bit of 357 sig ammo left around, so I got an itch.

I really should just be satisfied with the 5" G35, but since I can't use it for the 357. I get an excuse for another toy.

The 357 sig, 6.04" barrels can be had ported or standard with out ports. Haven't decided with would be better for me. I'm wondering about the recoil and muzzle flip with the standard barrel, and the ported barrels I haven't really been fond of in the past.

The LWD barrels start out at about 135 I think for the non ported, with the Storm Lake and KKM both about the same at 165.

After more looking this morning, I'm leaning more toward the Storm Lake or KKM as they are both made in the good ole' USA. Not so with Lone Wolf it appears.

We will see and still looking for further comments.
My biggest issue with Lone Wolf is their back order practices. If you order from them and the barrel is on back order, don't believe the expected arrival dates, they will change the dates multiple times and not communicate with customers when that happens. They need to take some lessons on customer service from Midway. Anyway, I ordered a 9mm barrel for my G23, and it took over 6 months to get it after 4 changes to the expected delivery dates on their website and not one single communication from them during that time. Moral of the story is don't buy anything from them that is not currently in stock.
  • Like 1

I have bought several lone wolf barrels on ebay. You only need to order the replacement barrel for the same size Glock when going from 40 to 357 Sig or 357 to 40 . On my sons 23 we just ordered a barrel for the 32  , magazine works for either caliber , this can give you more options for ammo . Of coarse this does no apply with the 35 or 24 because they never made them in 357.

. When you go down to 9mm from 40 or 357 you need the conversion barrel and a magazine. I have not tried one yet on a conversion to 9 mm but I want one for my 32 because I don't have a 19 .

I do have a Storm Lake conversion barrel for my G 30 to go from 45 ACP to 10 mm . I have only shot it a few times but the cost of the barrel and magazine were way cheaper than a G 29 . Seems to work fine.

Edited by Keyless
They are all very close, but you pretty much listed them in quality by order, "Lone Wolf, Storm Lake, KKM barrels". The only one I have ever owned was a Lone Wolf in 357 sig. It worked fine, I was foolish for trading it for 300 rounds of 40. I have heard a few reports of the KKM having to go back because even the drop in barrels were too tight, especially in the chambers. Of course there are reports of LW having issues but it is mostly involving weak 115gr 9mm ammo. Believe it or not but KKM may have the worst customer service of them all. I would not hesitate to buy a LW all over again.

I do try to buy made in the USA products, so I'm about ready to cross the Lone Wolf barrel off the list.

From reading info on Glock Store, Glock Talk, and quite literally between 75-100 linked adds and search pages; I can't see much except personal preference between the Storm Lake and the KKM barrels.

Both seem to be constructed from similar materials, and are comparably priced. Biggest difference I've read so far is that the KKM is supposedly a copetition quality and therefore better.

I've seen comments on both indicating problems with feeding some less than sammi spec reloads, and that the KKM barrels  are not always a straight drop in and can be very tight.

Have seen comments saying the Storm Lake barrels have had quality issues and fit problems as well.

Pretty much as I expected, there doesn't seem to be a clear cut winner in the group.

So I may just flip a coin between them and go from there.