Winchester Defender Failure to feed

I have a Winchester Defender 1300 that dates back to 1984. It hasn't been shot in probably 15 years but I keep it well lubed and in pristine condition. 

I took it out today to do some sporting clays with a few friends and all was well for the first 30 or so shells and then I started having issues.

When trying to chamber a shell it would fall to the ground rather than the lifter taking it up top into the chamber. The only think I can think of is that the magazine spring is not strong enough to force the round out like it should. I noticed that the spring has very little tension compared to my 870.

Am I off base here? 

Also, I tried to take it apart tonight to check the spring and I couldn't figure it out. The cap on the end of the magazine come off and I thought that is how you remove the spring but all it did was allow me to remove the barrel. 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you say the shell is falling to the ground do you mean from the bottom?  Is the loading gate thing closed when this happens?

That's correct. When I eject the spent shell and try to bring one into the chamber from the tube it falls to the ground from the bottom rather than climb on up into the chamber. I'm going to try it again and watch what the gate does.

Edited by Erik88
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, in case anyone has the same problem I wanted to report that it was the spring causing this. I ordered a new spring for $10 online and just got done installing it. She feeds perfectly again. It was amazing how much the spring had shrunk after 30 years.

Well, in case anyone has the same problem I wanted to report that it was the spring causing this. I ordered a new spring for $10 online and just got done installing it. She feeds perfectly again. It was amazing how much the spring had shrunk after 30 years.

A lot of things shrunk after that long not using them. :rofl:

• Like 1