357magnum or 38 special ?

swim615

Less cost and less recoil are the advantages of 38.

Recoil really depends on the wheelgun. In a S&W 28, it doesn't really matter. In my 360M&P (airweight, snubnose j-frame), the difference in recoil matters. 357 magnums are just not alot of fun in a lightweight revolver.

• Like 1

The 38 special is going to be a shorter round than the .357 so you well get some build up at the end of your cylinder. This sometimes makes the .357 rounds a little harder to load. I just make sure I clean the cylinder bores and look to see if there is any build up. I shoot 38 special in my .357 often but it's not as much fun as a full house .357 load.

Edited by Will Carry
  • Like 1

Does 357 wear out a pistol faster?

Maybe. But if you have the money to purchase the amount of ammo it would take to do it; the gun probably won’t be a big deal.

If I use the 38 special for practice will it change my point of impact or the way I get used to shooting?

Yes. Even a change in brands can change your POI.

Is there very much difference?

As a defense weapon, No. As a target gun, yes.
  • Like 1
Guest Bonedaddy

I shoot both through my model 28. .38 for fun since it's cheaper but I really like to shoot the .357. I'll hunt with that and that's what stays loaded in it when at the house. I'd really like to get me an airweight, one day, in .357. I've shot one and it's got some kick but I just love that. At least with .357 you're not restricted to the one round like with a .38.

One advantage I didn't see mentioned (may or may not apply to you) is if you have a wife/girlfriend, etc. that doesn't really like shooting and/or is "afraid" of guns.

A .357 revolver shooting 38s is almost always going to be a more pleasant experience for a novice, woman, etc. shooter than shooting .357 which make make it easier to introduce a new/novice shooting to the sport...may make them more likely to practice...may make them more likely to use the revolver should the need arise since they are familiar with it/not afraid of it and a woman with a .357 packing 38 special that she will use if need be is a WHOLE safer and more effective than one with a .357 revolver she is afraid of/won't use. ;)

• Like 1

Of course if you reload, you can load .357 brass light and have lighter recoil, lower cost and avoid any cylinder build up. Having said that, I shoot mostly .38 special since I have more brass than .357 brass.

This is exactly what I do,reload .357 brass to lighter .38 special velocity.lots more fun that way.

• Like 1