My budget AR build

Not counting the scope, I have exactly $600 into this build. Figured that isn't too bad for a range rifle that may also be used for some hunting.
Lower - Palmetto State Armory blem lower (no blem found).
PSA lower parts kit.
Magpul grip and MOE stock.

This has a surprisingly good feeling trigger on it for a factory trigger (based on my experience with a few factory ARs) I have not shot it yet, just tested trigger by holding the hammer and squeezing trigger to release.

Upper is a PTAC 16 inch carbine length with 1:9 twist. I wanted a 1:7 but was not available when I ordered this. I really struggled with making a decision to order this, I wanted a bit better quality but was trying to stay on a strict budget so figured for the price and my intended use it should be fine. As long as it shoots decent I will be completely happy. The finish is not the best on this upper in places but it is going to get marked up anyways so no big deal to me. The fit was  very good, did not need to use a wedge.

Upper has a Midwest Industries 12 inch free floathandguard http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=450  I really like the slim feel and customization options of this handguard. It came with three 3" rail sections with one having a QD swivel mount. I mounted this on the bottom of the handguard as far front as possible so it could also function as a handstop. I have an Impact Weapon Components sling adapter for the MOE stock on the way. Still need to decide on which sling I want, am thinking a MagPul MS3.

Installed a one piece gas ring and KNS firing pin retainer. I have a Badger Ordnance tactical latch to install if I can find my really small roll pin punch. That is a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x44 with BDC mounted on a Primary Arms one piece mount.

Will find out Saturday how it shoots and post back results. 

20140109_132656.jpg20140109_132729.jpg
20140109_132646.jpg

20140109_132706.jpg

• Like 2
Thank you...now just trying to make it to 1 pm Saturday when the range opens to see how it will shoot. I have 60 rounds of Lake City ammo to break it in and then another 100 factory and my reloads. Should break it in and then I can begin load development.

Went and shot the rifle today. Had an issue at first, bolt stripped a round from the mag, squeezed the trigger and boom. Squeezed the trigger again, click. Cleared the weapon and tried again, same result - first round fired and 2nd went click. Light primer strikes were showing. Tried some different ammo with the same result, so my buddy said he would stand there and watch the action cycle to see if he could spot anything. This time noticed that the bolt was not fully closing and when I hit the trigger it moved just a hair. Tried again and used the forward assist but it did not fully seat the bolt.

Stripped the weapon, and started inspecting the bolt. The bolt head was stiff and required some force to move - after discussing we realized it was due to the one piece gas ring I installed. Obviously the gas ring was slightly large or the bolt chamber was a hair tight. I ended up firing 50 rounds with the mag only loaded with one round (bolt locked on empty mag, eject, load one round, repeat). The gas ring finally wore in after those 50 rounds (may have been sooner but I didn't test it until 50) and I was able to shoot full mags.

Talked with a couple of friends and they had never had an issue with the one pice gas ring being tight and causing an issue so I would guess it was the bolt being tight.

I was on paper from the begining, so shooting for groups. The below pics are two groups fired using Sierra 55 grain softpoints over Varget powder, but I had a similar size group with the Lake City. I still need to adjust my scope as it is shooting high and a bit left but will do that next range trip when I begin load development.

20140111_161613.jpg

20140111_161706.jpg

I am very pleased with the initial grouping. For a $400 upper I don't know anymore could be expected, but I am going to try and tailor some loads to get a bit tighter groups.

Also, in case anyone was interested in the PTAC bolt quality, here is a pic of the BCG. It appears to be properly staked (based on my little research and comparing pictures) which I know is a big concern with some of the lower end brands.

20140111_165923.jpg