Carrying a long gun

Guest UKTN

I have my TN hand gun permit and realize this might not be a good idea but is there anything to stop me walking down the street with my AR15?

How about if the magazine was out of the gun in a range bag?

Just thinking as I remember reading Supreme Court Judge Alito traveled the New York subway carrying a rifle many years ago.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's not loaded, I can't find any reason for it to be illegal... thing is, I'm pretty sure that even if just the magazine is loaded, and in your possession (not inserted), the gun is considered loaded.

I have no doubt that it'd draw attention, depending on your locale.

is there anything to stop me walking down the street with my AR15?

Hmmm...

Which leads me to ask:

Is there any situation short of a full-on SHTF throw-down where carrying an AR15 down a public street would be necessary?

Guest abailey362
Hmmm...

Which leads me to ask:

Is there any situation short of a full-on SHTF throw-down where carrying an AR15 down a public street would be necessary?

katrina comes to mind as something most will be familiar with.

my dad went through rita(which was as bad but there weren't 1000's of poor people who made bad choices screaming and celebrities trying to make a name for themselves) and as he was one of the only residents that stayed through in his neighborhood (he never once evacuated in the 15 years he lived on the tx coast) he did patrol the streets with his XM-15 - that now resides in my collection since he passed. This was not a "true SHTF situation, but called for something more than a holstered handgun when no police were around...just mainly thugs and a few homeowners.

Father shouldn't have been "patrolling the streets". This is the job of the police/national guard. He could stay home and protect his property. Now if several neighbors got together to make a "citizens watch" that would be a different scenario that would be dealt with once proper authorities had arrived.

And they did a wonderful job in N.O. didn't they? I see no reason to quarterback his father 3 years after the event.

Guest Verbal Kint
I see no reason to quarterback his father 3 years after the event.

So that other dumbasses don't get the idea of it being a good thing to do?

Not calling his late father a dumbass, by any means, but the more and more I hang around people that share the firearms interest... and just people in general... the more I realize that most of them are inherently stupid and will act before thinking.

Better to "quarterback" real scenarios... past or present... and take away a lesson from them, than ignore it and watch people make the same mistakes. I believe saintsfanbrian was doing just that.

Just $0.02.

Having mucho family that live in and around New Orleans I can say that the majority of them when they went back were armed. They just didn't let the rest of the world know it. They kept their weapons concealed and were able to get to them as needed.

Thanks for the backup there Verbal. I have thought about this scenario since Memphis is on a fault and is expected to have a "big one" with in the next 50 years. I will gladly protect my family. If the neighbors wish to organize a neighborhood watch on this then we can discuss how best to man it etc. I think our better course of action would be to get the family and get out of this city and let the "heathens" finally have it.

Difference between a hurricane and an earthquake is that they had warning and could leave. We won't.

Hmmm...

Which leads me to ask:

Have you ever been to Memphis?:):D:D

Having mucho family that live in and around New Orleans I can say that the majority of them when they went back were armed. They just didn't let the rest of the world know it. They kept their weapons concealed and were able to get to them as needed.

Thanks for the backup there Verbal. I have thought about this scenario since Memphis is on a fault and is expected to have a "big one" with in the next 50 years. I will gladly protect my family. If the neighbors wish to organize a neighborhood watch on this then we can discuss how best to man it etc. I think our better course of action would be to get the family and get out of this city and let the "heathens" finally have it.

Difference between a hurricane and an earthquake is that they had warning and could leave. We won't.

I would do two things, get out or go to my moms, at Reelfoot lake, which might not be there anyway.

Yes indeed I do. Earthquake Lake. Love that place, love the history,l love the fishing!

Yeah, I fished it with my Pop for a week when I was a kid.

Cane poles and big black roaches for bait...crappie the size I've never seen since for the most part.

They still use roaches for bait there? They actually sold them like worms or minnows 45 or 50 years ago!

- OS

Father shouldn't have been "patrolling the streets". This is the job of the police/national guard. He could stay home and protect his property. Now if several neighbors got together to make a "citizens watch" that would be a different scenario that would be dealt with once proper authorities had arrived.

That's an interesting observation, especially considering that the basic premise for 2a is self defense and civil responsibility to police ourselves. I think his actions embody 2a at it's heart and I am willing to bet the founding fathers agree. :panic:

So that other dumbasses don't get the idea of it being a good thing to do?

Not calling his late father a dumbass, by any means, but the more and more I hang around people that share the firearms interest... and just people in general... the more I realize that most of them are inherently stupid and will act before thinking.

Better to "quarterback" real scenarios... past or present... and take away a lesson from them, than ignore it and watch people make the same mistakes. I believe saintsfanbrian was doing just that.

Just $0.02.

Yeah, and nobody here is qualified enough to handle a Glock foty, but you! right? :D

Guest Verbal Kint

Yeah, and nobody here is qualified enough to handle a Glock foty, but you! right? :panic:

Have I ever once even remotely said that? Didn't think so. Add one more person to my list. :D

katrina comes to mind as something most will be familiar with<snip>

This was not a "true SHTF situation, but called for something more than a holstered handgun when no police were around...just mainly thugs and a few homeowners.

I would disagree and call that a SHTF situation. Somewhat localized, but the total absence of uniformed presence seems like the proper time for WE THE PEOPLE to take care of our family and friends (and I classify neighbors in there too).

it has been a while. last time i checked one could walk down a street in tn with a rifle and it wasnt illegal. could have changed in the last few years??????????????????

It is illegal to carry a loaded long gun in TN. Not really sure how long it has been the case, but been that way as long as I can remember.

39-17-1307 Unlawful carrying or possession of a weapon.

(a) (1) A person commits an offense who carries with the intent to go armed a firearm, a knife with a blade length exceeding four inches (4²), or a club.

Firearm meaning Handgun, Shotgun or Rifle.

There are certain situations in which there is a defense to the above. By being a defense, it means you have may to show (to the LEO or court) that you were in that situation.

39-17-1308 Defenses to unlawful possession or carrying of a weapon.

(a) It is a defense to the application of § 39-17-1307 if the possession or carrying was:

(1)
Of an unloaded rifle, shotgun or handgun not concealed on or about the person and the ammunition for the weapon was not in the immediate vicinity of the person or weapon;

(2)
By a person authorized to possess or carry a firearm pursuant to §
or §
;

(3)
At the person's:

(A)
Place of residence;

(
:D
Place of business; or

©
Premises;

(4)
Incident to lawful hunting, trapping, fishing, camping, sport shooting or other lawful activity;

(5)
By a person possessing a rifle or shotgun while engaged in the lawful protection of livestock from predatory animals;

(6)
By a Tennessee valley authority officer who holds a valid commission from the commissioner of safety pursuant to this part while the officer is in the performance of the officer's official duties;

(7)
By a state, county or municipal judge or any federal judge or any federal or county magistrate;

(8)
By a person possessing a club or baton who holds a valid state security guard/officer registration card as a private security guard/officer, issued by the commissioner, and who also has certification that the officer has had training in the use of club or baton that is valid and issued by a person certified to give training in the use of clubs or batons;

(9)
By any person possessing a club or baton who holds a certificate that the person has had training in the use of a club or baton for self-defense that is valid and issued by a certified person authorized to give training in the use of clubs or batons, and is not prohibited from purchasing a firearm under any local, state or federal laws; or

(10)
By any out-of-state, full-time, commissioned law enforcement officer who holds a valid commission card from the appropriate out-of-state law enforcement agency and a photo identification; provided, that if no valid commission card and photo identification are retained, then it shall be unlawful for that officer to carry firearms in this state and the provisions of this section shall not apply. The defense provided by this subdivision (a)(10) shall only be applicable if the state where the out-of-state officer is employed has entered into a reciprocity agreement with this state that allows a full-time, commissioned law enforcement officer in Tennessee to lawfully carry or possess a weapon in the other state.

(:tinfoil: The defenses described in this section are not available to persons described in § 39-17-1307(:tough:(1).

I have thought about this scenario since Memphis is on a fault and is expected to have a "big one" with in the next 50 years. I will gladly protect my family. If the neighbors wish to organize a neighborhood watch on this then we can discuss how best to man it etc. I think our better course of action would be to get the family and get out of this city and let the "heathens" finally have it.

I guess you missed this part. The poster didn't state whether they had gotten together and decided the best course of action for their neighborhood. If they had then no one would have "called the cops" to let them know a man with a gun was walking down the street.

Personally, again, let the "heathens" have it and I am getting out of here if I possibly can.