Video "Black People Don't Join The NRA"

R_Bert

I'll agree with the sentiments that the NRA attaches itself to non-firearm related ideals which is going to be a turn off for people who disagree with those ideals. That is going to come off as exclusionary to people who believe in the right to bear arms but disagree with many of the inflammatory stuff the NRA covers their propaganda magazine with. The reality is that for many gun owners the biggest issues aren't infringements on the 2nd Amendment. That doesn't mean they don't support the 2A, it just means that isn't their biggest issue. You have a lot of people who voted for Obama who are on our side regarding gun rights. Those folks may have a hard time swallowing much of what the NRA puts out, which is so incredibly anti-Obama it's like Alex Jones is the editor in chief. I think if the NRA just toned it down and focused on legislation advancing the rights of gun owners and calling attention to infringements without all the vitriol.

Once again, you have to step out of your own skin for a moment and try to understand where other folks are coming from. You think that your opinions and world view is most correct, but so do folks who hold the opposite opinion as you. If we can find common ground in the defense of the 2A we should embrace that and keep all the other stuff out of it. Think of how the NRA would grow if we could recruit democrat gun owners in large numbers into the organization. They aren't joining because the NRA is putting out harsh, anti-democrat propaganda.

I agree. I think mission creep is very detrimental to keeping to ideals and then the other side comes along and sweeps up the fallout. I think the tea party is experiencing similar issues in many places and that Republicans tying themselves to the religious right in the Reagan era was a long-term tactical disaster.

Edited by tnguy

TMF, sure I don't agree with some of the NRA practices, but this video is full of nonsense, due to lack of knowledge by those speaking due to misinformation that was either handed to them to preach or they are just in denial due to being ignorant of the facts.. 

TMF, sure I don't agree with some of the NRA practices, but this video is full of nonsense, due to lack of knowledge by those speaking due to misinformation that was either handed to them to preach or they are just in denial due to being ignorant of the facts..

Of course there's nonsense in there, but there was truth in there too. I key in in the truthful stuff because the nonsense is being spewed by otherwise hopeless people. I don't care about the hopeless, purposefully ignorant people. I care about the ones that make a valid point. We should listen to that.
  • Like 2

But you can't just approach it from one side, it needs to be the truth across the board, not tailored to one side or the other.. but then again, I don't have 40 acres or a mule, so you understand where that's going to end up.. 

• Moderators

You can not like or disagree with the views all day long. This video isn't a whole lot about facts, it is about feelings and perceptions. If you want to make inroads with demographic, you have to address how they feel about you. The NRA understands this. Do you think the courting of folks like Colion Noir is an accident?

• Like 1

I'll agree with the sentiments that the NRA attaches itself to non-firearm related ideals which is going to be a turn off for people who disagree with those ideals. That is going to come off as exclusionary to people who believe in the right to bear arms but disagree with many of the inflammatory stuff the NRA covers their propaganda magazine with. The reality is that for many gun owners the biggest issues aren't infringements on the 2nd Amendment. That doesn't mean they don't support the 2A, it just means that isn't their biggest issue. You have a lot of people who voted for Obama who are on our side regarding gun rights. Those folks may have a hard time swallowing much of what the NRA puts out, which is so incredibly anti-Obama it's like Alex Jones is the editor in chief. I think if the NRA just toned it down and focused on legislation advancing the rights of gun owners and calling attention to infringements without all the vitriol.

Once again, you have to step out of your own skin for a moment and try to understand where other folks are coming from. You think that your opinions and world view is most correct, but so do folks who hold the opposite opinion as you. If we can find common ground in the defense of the 2A we should embrace that and keep all the other stuff out of it. Think of how the NRA would grow if we could recruit democrat gun owners in large numbers into the organization. They aren't joining because the NRA is putting out harsh, anti-democrat propaganda.

They're only rabidly anti-Obama because he's rabidly anti-gun. I don't think they pontificate too much on his economics or other stances. The NRA tends to be pretty much a single issue organization. I will admit I don't follow everything they do, but what I do read/keep up with is pretty much related to gun ownership and nothing else. 

• Like 1

They're only rabidly anti-Obama because he's rabidly anti-gun. I don't think they pontificate too much on his economics or other stances. The NRA tends to be pretty much a single issue organization. I will admit I don't follow everything they do, but what I do read/keep up with is pretty much related to gun ownership and nothing else.

When the cover of 1st Freedom magazine refers to Obama as "King Pinnochio" I don't suspect any democrats will feel very accepted. Decorum can be used when opposing a political figure or party. It's the vitriol that turns people away and gives them the impression that the NRA is full of looneys. Whether that be untrue or not, it's the perception that matters.

"My issue is I don't like someone having something around me that; that can efficiently kill."

May you never leave you protective bubble and journey to the outside world.

Exactly jcoos

They don't even think about their car, that big steak knife at you favorite steakhouse, the hammer in the tool section at Wally World .....idiots!!!

When the cover of 1st Freedom magazine refers to Obama as "King Pinnochio" I don't suspect any democrats will feel very accepted. Decorum can be used when opposing a political figure or party. It's the vitriol that turns people away and gives them the impression that the NRA is full of looneys. Whether that be untrue or not, it's the perception that matters.

I understand what you're saying, but sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. When the left lies constantly, makes "studies" simply for the purpose for supporting their foregone conclusions, call every NRA member a racist, and calls the NRA the new KKK, sometimes you have to take a swing back. I really have no problem with the NRA's tactics, and neither do over 4 million other Americans. But I also don't begrudge you or anyone else if they don't like them. Ain't freedom grand? ;)

I understand what you're saying, but sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. When the left lies constantly, makes "studies" simply for the purpose for supporting their foregone conclusions, call every NRA member a racist, and calls the NRA the new KKK, sometimes you have to take a swing back. I really have no problem with the NRA's tactics, and neither do over 4 million other Americans. But I also don't begrudge you or anyone else if they don't like them. Ain't freedom grand? ;)

Well don't misunderstand, the NRA is a great organization for the support and defense of the second amendment, I just think they'd do better to keep the nastiness under control. It would improve their image and bring those moderate folks who believe in the right to keep and bear arms to our cause.

I expect the ignorant vitriol to be spewed from the left. When they act like children they lose legitimacy. It's how I used to argue with my sister when we were kids. The more worked up she would get the calmer I would get. It'd make her look like the crazy one no matter how wrong I was. It bothers me when folks on my side spew the vitriol back. We should be above that. The moral high ground has better fields of fire.