Hunting License Question

Does the State of Tennessee recognize a hunter safety course card from another state?

Yes.

If you lose it and/or need a replacement, you must go to the originating state for that replacement.

Dave

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 2
[quote name="DaveS" post="1091614" timestamp="1389209019"]Yes. If you lose it and/or need a replacement, you must go to the originating state for that replacement. Dave[/quote] Thank you, Dave. Took the course as a child in Illinois. Just printed a replacement card from their website. I've never been hunting, but I'd like to start. Just need a rifle, a place to hunt, and someone to teach me.
  • Like 1

Thank you, Dave. Took the course as a child in Illinois. Just printed a replacement card from their website. I've never been hunting, but I'd like to start. Just need a rifle, a place to hunt, and someone to teach me.

All easy stuff!

Dave

I think I needed my card the first time I got a hunting license here in TN. Mine was from Missouri. Since then they haven't asked for it. I guess that is a good thing, since I have absolutely no idea where it is now. Thinking that once I was put into the system here, it's not required to be shown?

Dave is correct.  Keep your newly printed card in your wallet.  You may want to laminate it if its not already because they do get worn out over time and you'll probably have to pay a few bucks to have it replaced.  You wont need to show your hunters safety card when you buy a license, but if a game warden checks you, he will ask for it.  

• Like 1

Dave is correct.  Keep your newly printed card in your wallet.  You may want to laminate it if its not already because they do get worn out over time and you'll probably have to pay a few bucks to have it replaced.  You wont need to show your hunters safety card when you buy a license, but if a game warden checks you, he will ask for it.  

uh-oh, guess that answers my question! Thanks.

On Federal property we were asking for the hunter safety card when licenses were checked. Most places won't ask to see it when they sell a license because our licenses here are combo licenses and a hunter safety umm, uh, Fishing Safety card isn't required so it's not needed to be shown at time of purchase of your combo license. Not having your hunter safety card is a ticket offense. In lieu of the hunter safety card is the one time hunter apprentice permit. It's good for one year and is to be used until you get your hunter education card.

Dave

• Like 1

On Federal property we were asking for the hunter safety card when licenses were checked. Most places won't ask to see it when they sell a license because our licenses here are combo licenses and a hunter safety umm, uh, Fishing Safety card isn't required so it's not needed to be shown at time of purchase of your combo license. Not having your hunter safety card is a ticket offense. In lieu of the hunter safety card is the one time hunter apprentice permit. It's good for one year and is to be used until you get your hunter education card.

Dave

Holy crap, I figured since you can't get the hunting license without the HSC that you wouldn't have to have it on your person. YEARS have gone by like this. I guess I'll be contacting MO. I know where my orange patch is they gave me but the card is long gone!

[quote name="rugerla1" post="1091879" timestamp="1389232516"]Holy crap, I figured since you can't get the hunting license without the HSC that you wouldn't have to have it on your person. YEARS have gone by like this. I guess I'll be contacting MO. I know where my orange patch is they gave me but the card is long gone![/quote] The patch isn't necessary, is it? I hope not, because that this has been missing for 25 years.
  • Like 1

Holy crap, I figured since you can't get the hunting license without the HSC that you wouldn't have to have it on your person. YEARS have gone by like this. I guess I'll be contacting MO. I know where my orange patch is they gave me but the card is long gone!

I've never been asked for my card to buy my license, but I was born in 1955 and don't need it. However, to hunt on Fort Campbell I have to have it. So I took the course back in the late 90's. My 17 year old daughter has never been asked for hers either (she has one). At Walmart; she tells them she needs her annual fishing license and doesn't get "carded". Buy them online and one isn't required. You do need to produce it when asked for by a Wildlife Officer.

Please don't misunderstand me here, but the HSC is over rated. I went through it for me, went through it with my kids and my grandkids. I have even assisted the instructor in the class for traditional/modern muzzleloader hunting. In my opinion, the class doesn't teach enough of the right things. That's just my opinion. If I was teaching it I would have some props to use in class. But that's just me.

Dave

• Like 1

I've never been asked for my card to buy my license, but I was born in 1955 and don't need it. However, to hunt on Fort Campbell I have to have it. So I took the course back in the late 90's. My 17 year old daughter has never been asked for hers either (she has one). At Walmart; she tells them she needs her annual fishing license and doesn't get "carded". Buy them online and one isn't required. You do need to produce it when asked for by a Wildlife Officer.

Please don't misunderstand me here, but the HSC is over rated. I went through it for me, went through it with my kids and my grandkids. I have even assisted the instructor in the class for traditional/modern muzzleloader hunting. In my opinion, the class doesn't teach enough of the right things. That's just my opinion. If I was teaching it I would have some props to use in class. But that's just me.

Dave

Agreed!

I took the inaugural course in '75, but the state has no record of it. Since I no longer can find my card it's a good thing I was born before Jan 1, 1969.

Have them search back farther,

The Inaugural courses were earlier than 1975.

I completed mine (and my dad also) in Knoxville (Karns Community Center) on October 18, 1974

Ed Carter, Sam Venable, and someone else put it on.   It was several evenings (all week ??)  worth, a long time for a 13 yr old.

Signed by Ed.

Edited by R_Bert
I may have been mistaken on the year. Dad took me the first year TWRA came out to the extension agency office to teach the class. Was assuming 1975 since that's what the TWRA website listed http://www.tn.gov/twra/huntered.html. Either way, I've checked with TWRA and they didn't have me on record even though dad still has the patch and the booklet from when I took the course. Even went to the old police range to fire the shotgun with the class. They did a SSN search and nada. Edited by homeagain

I may have been mistaken on the year. Dad took me the first year TWRA came out to the extension agency office to teach the class. Was assuming 1975 since that's what the TWRA website listed http://www.tn.gov/twra/huntered.html. Either way, I've checked with TWRA and they didn't have me on record even though dad still has the patch and the booklet from when I took the course. Even went to the old police range to fire the shotgun with the class. They did a SSN search and nada.

Sent you a PM with another tip.  Probably why you did not show up in SSN search...

BTW... one of my replacement cards has a SSN of ....  000-00-0000.  I suspect I am not alone in that...

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 1