Gun Store Owner Charged for Carrying AR-15 at Texas Mall Before Heading to His Business

While I wouldn't be one to OC an AR, I can't help but be a little disturbed by situations where people are charged with a crime simply because someone felt uncomfortable. Strictly from a legal standpoint, other than a little common sense (we hope), what's preventing someone who's OCing a handgun from being charged for the same crime?

In a sick sort of way, maybe it's a legal advantage that we have specifically bought that privilege as an out, rather than relying on something as ignored as a state or US Constitution?  :crazy:

- OS

While I wouldn't be one to OC an AR, I can't help but be a little disturbed by situations where people are charged with a crime simply because someone felt uncomfortable. Strictly from a legal standpoint, other than a little common sense (we hope), what's preventing someone who's OCing a handgun from being charged for the same crime?

They will have to substantiate that they were a lot more than just "uncomfortable" I think.  At this point, he simply is charged and it doesn't take much to substantiate a "charge"; it will be up to the DA to prove that he truly did disturb the peace by his actions (assuming the DA pushes this forward).

I think the more important issue here is whether it was PRUDENT to openly carry what either was or appeared to be a real AR15 rife in public (note, I did not say "legal" but prudent).  Firearm/2A enthusiasts are in a war for the minds of the public who for decades have been inundated with negative regarding firearms. EVERYTHING we do as firearm owners can impact that war for good or bad and I would suggest that we have a responsibly to the firearm community to consider the impact of our actions...whether those actions are "legal" should be the FIRST bud definitely not the LAST question we ask ourselves before we go out in public with our firearms.

Edited by RobertNashville

I was just waiting for this guy to be named Leonard Embody.....

I think we need to walk a fine line as gun owners in what we do with our guns. Legally, we definitely can open carry, and should be our right to. I just don't see the point of doing it if you're only doing so to to prove a point and/or freak out the public. Doesn't help our case as responsible gun owners. 

I carry my weapon to defend my person and loved ones, not to make a statement. 

• Like 6

The media and the anti gun crowd have done a good job of turning the AR-15 into a scary image to the average person. Any time one of US scares the public with one, it hurts US. The fight is hard enough as it is. Worse than that is all the folks that justify it because they think we're entitled to do stupid shit because of our constitutional "rights".

Maybe it wouldn't bother me so much if I hadn't donated quite a bit of money to the sane fight against the anti's. Every time some clown sets us back, I feel like it costs me personally.

• Like 1
Guest RebelCowboySnB

The media and the anti gun crowd have done a good job of turning the AR-15 into a scary image to the average person. Any time one of US scares the public with one, it hurts US.

No what hurts us is continuing to hide your guns so they can keep people thinking they are very rare an scary guns no sane man owns. You think they would get away with this crap if everyone had one in a gun rack like they use to. No, hiding them is the problem an these issues only happen it states that hiding has became normal, states like Tn an Texas. We had a guy in Ga walk around the occupy Atlanta thing with a AK47 in the same manner. Only person to talk to him was a news woman that asked why an he told her cause he had to take the subway to get there.

Lenard moved to Tn cause he could not get the reaction he wanted in Ga. We see guns every day here. He still had to go crazy to get the reaction he wanted. I would not OC a AR here in a mall cause I dont have to. My AR is promanantly displayed in the window of my truck. I OC a revolver every day. I have only had one bad comment in my life over it an the person was advised of what state she was in. If I was in Texas were the only thing you can OC is a long gun I would be right beside this man cause his way will get rights back. Hiding will just make people more afraid of the right that they see as out dated an no longer used.

No what hurts us is continuing to hide your guns so they can keep people thinking they are very rare an scary guns no sane man owns. You think they would get away with this crap if everyone had one in a gun rack like they use to. No, hiding them is the problem an these issues only happen it states that hiding has became normal, states like Tn an Texas. We had a guy in Ga walk around the occupy Atlanta thing with a AK47 in the same manner. Only person to talk to him was a news woman that asked why an he told her cause he had to take the subway to get there.

Lenard moved to Tn cause he could not get the reaction he wanted in Ga. We see guns every day here. He still had to go crazy to get the reaction he wanted. I would not OC a AR here in a mall cause I dont have to. My AR is promanantly displayed in the window of my truck. I OC a revolver every day. I have only had one bad comment in my life over it an the person was advised of what state she was in. If I was in Texas were the only thing you can OC is a long gun I would be right beside this man cause his way will get rights back. Hiding will just make people more afraid of the right that they see as out dated an no longer used.

Nothing wrong with open carrying where is doesn't cause problems. That statement is redundant. If you trigger a panic, then YOU have screwed up.

• Like 2

The media and the anti gun crowd have done a good job of turning the AR-15 into a scary image to the average person. 

Funny thing you mention this. I was over at my grandmother's house during Christmas showing my grandpa the red dot I had just installed on my Beretta Neos .22LR PISTOL. When she saw it she said ""That looks like one of those assault rifles!". I just shook my head and tried to explain (in vain).

Funny thing you mention this. I was over at my grandmother's house during Christmas showing my grandpa the red dot I had just installed on my Beretta Neos .22LR PISTOL. When she saw it she said ""That looks like one of those assault rifles!". I just shook my head and tried to explain (in vain).

I'm not saying we should give up. I want to see guns in the windows of pickup trucks again. That's how I grew up. I'm saying... don't provide ammunition to the enemy. That's stupid, and usually costly.

If the store owner deserves to be charged with a crime, should a law be passed to make the carrying of an AR in public illegal? If there were such a law, I suspect the store owner would not have been openly carrying his AR, hindering the cause for gun us gun owners.

Unfortunately, you're not the only one asking that question right now. If they do pass a law, it won't just cover malls. We can't forget that this case isn't a gun charge. It's a dumbass charge. That's a good thing in my book.

Edited by mikegideon
Guest RebelCowboySnB

Nothing wrong with open carrying where is doesn't cause problems. That statement is redundant. If you trigger a panic, then YOU have screwed up.

You do know a large antigun group have told everyone to cause an panic  an claim fear an time they spot a gun just to stop open carry cause it is hurting the antigun movement.So if you base your actions on how they act you have already lost.

If carrying on your back with your hands full around his on gun store is bad enough to turn on you own you have already lost anyway

Edited by RebelCowboySnB

You do know a large antigun group have told everyone to cause an panic  an claim fear an time they spot a gun just to stop open carry cause it is hurting the antigun movement.So if you base your actions on how they act you have already lost.

Do what you want, man. My AR's will be cased in public. This ain't about handguns.

Guest RebelCowboySnB

Do what you want, man. My AR's will be cased in public. This ain't about handguns.

An you will be doing exactly what the antis need to get them banned for ever.

Leonard doing that simply to get a reaction is wreckless and hurtful to gun owners. 

It is your right to open carry, but beware of the possible consequences of it (stolen promenintly displayed gun out of your truck, robber knowing to just shoot you since you're a visible threat, etc). Now it is YOUR right and all of our right to do this, just know the risk you run. 

• Like 2
Guest RebelCowboySnB

Not what I say, go read anti gun sites an hear the plans your self. You have been turned by the antis, working in to there hands an dont even know it yet.

Guest RebelCowboySnB

Leonard doing that simply to get a reaction is wreckless and hurtful to gun owners. 

It is your right to open carry, but beware of the possible consequences of it (stolen promenintly displayed gun out of your truck, robber knowing to just shoot you since you're a visible threat, etc). Now it is YOUR right and all of our right to do this, just know the risk you run. 

You are welcome to try  to take my gun from my truck.. Bring a cutting tourch..

An yes Lenard is bad for us all but this guy is not him. He had his gun carried in the standard safe manner.

An how many OCers have been shot over the years in Ga?

Edited by RebelCowboySnB

Not what I say, go read anti gun sites an hear the plans your self. You have been turned by the antis, working in to there hands an dont even know it yet.

I haven't been turned by the anti's, and I never get called "that idiot on TV". I'm at war with the anti's. I figure they win if I'm the one that looks stupid. Guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Guest RebelCowboySnB

They dont need you to look stupid. They just need you to hide. There whole plan is based on AR15s being only used in war an selling the public on the idea that no normal person has one. You looking dumb does not even matter. Look at the wording they use "Assault" "high capacity" "military" it to make them sound special are rare.

They have gave up on the guns are bad pitch long ago. They are on the these guns are not needed an no one has them pitch. All that is needed to sell that line for us to let them talk an not stand up an say I have one, see here it is.

Edited by RebelCowboySnB

They dont need you to look stupid. They just need you to hide. There whole plan is based on AR15s being only used in war an selling the public on the idea that no normal person has one. You looking dumb does not even matter. Look at the wording they use "Assault" "high capacity" "military" it to make them sound special are rare.

They have gave up on the guns are bad pitch long ago. They are on the these guns are not needed an no one has them pitch. All that is needed to sell that line for us to let them talk an not stand up an say I have one, see here it is.

I know what they're trying to do. That's doesn't mean they will succeed. I appreciate you handling my PR for me as well. Fact is, I've worked in media all my life, and would get fired for being the idiot on TV. So, somebody else is gonna have to do it in my place.

Guest RebelCowboySnB

Not saying you need to do anything. I carry as I see fit, an you do as you do. I am just talking big picture an how he is not wrong for his choice.

So tell me how does this guy hurt us with his actions. He does not come across as crazy. He owns a business. I see national news coverage about a guy that owns a gun that the antis want everyone to think no one has. I see a gun that the antis want everyone to think is a danger but it is being carried in a mall an no one was hurt. They can spin all day but in the end what is remember is that people do have these guns an people did not die just cause of it. This is all bad for the antis. The only good they get is more people in fear of being detained over a gun so more hiding.

This is how I feel as well. Asking him to leave is one thing, charging him with a crime is another.

...So tell me how does this guy hurt us with his actions. He does not come across as crazy. He owns a business. I see national news coverage about a guy that owns a gun that the antis want everyone to think no one has. I see a gun that the antis want everyone to think is a danger but it is being carried in a mall an no one was hurt. They can spin all day but in the end what is remember is that people do have these guns an people did not die just cause of it. This is all bad for the antis. The only good they get is more people in fear of being detained over a gun so more hiding.

He hut us because people see yet another news story about a guy carrying a rifle around in public and giving the gun-grabbers yet another story they can sink their teeth into all of which would have been a complete non-issue if he hadn't carried this rifle openly in the first place.

My gut and my readings of other stories tells me that this guy was not carrying for self-protection (in fact there is some indication that it wasn't even an real gun)...it appears to me that this guy was fishing for an encounter and found one and I've no sympathy for those who do that whether it's Voldemort or anyone else.

If, where it's legal, people believe that carrying openly is the best for them and where/when they will be going in public then fine...if they do it just to make a statement or to feel like a big man or to fish for an incident then they should be hung out to dry as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 1
Guest RebelCowboySnB

He hut us because people see yet another news story about a guy carrying a rifle around in public and giving the gun-grabbers yet another story they can sink their teeth into all of which would have been a complete non-issue if he hadn't carried this rifle openly in the first place.

My gut and my readings of other stories tells me that this guy was not carrying for self-protection (in fact there is some indication that it wasn't even an real gun)...it appears to me that this guy was fishing for an encounter and found one and I've no sympathy for those who do that whether it's Voldemort or anyone else.

If, where it's legal, people believe that carrying openly is the best for them and when they will be going in public then fine...if they do it just to make a statement or to fell like a big man or to fish for an incident then they should be hung out to dry as far as I'm concerned.

Thats not a how that is a wild fear. How is a story about a guy with a gun that never hurt anyone bad for us? How will they sink there teeth in to it? They want it to go away more than you do. He does not fit the crazy killer with a illegal gun that they want everyone to think of when an AR is talked about. So how are they going to spin this to make people for get the basic fact that this man hurt no one an is a respected part of the community?

I dont think he was fishing nor do I think he was carrying for protection. He ether had it for a political statement, advertisement for his store or did not want it stolen from his store while he was gone. I have no issue with any of the 3.

I dont care why someone carrys. I do care how they carry an how they act. It was on his back in a safe manner an he did not act bad. It does not matter if it is real. The facts remain the same. He was not running around with an AK in his hands painted pink screaming odd junk. He is a guy safely carrying a gun on his back around his place of business with his hand full of unrelated stuff.

Could he have been fishing? Sure but if he was he was just lucky cause he his bate was as bad as you can get.

My AR in my truck is a BB gun by the way, am I fishing? Am I wrong for having it? Its only there cause I think people need to see them. Does that make me bad. Does it being a toy change anything. It with have a flintlock friend one day..

Edited by RebelCowboySnB

He is a guy safely carrying a gun on his back around his place of business with his hand full of unrelated stuff.

My AR in my truck is a BB gun by the way, am I fishing?

If I remember the story right, he was in someone else's place of business and not his own. Granted his shop is in the same mall but outside his shop confines, is not his place of business. Whether his AR was fake or otherwise I don't know. But anyone that carries a fake AR around is FISHING or BAITING. Why else do so? If it was real and he was carrying it to his shop, it should have been cased and/or in the original box. Bad decision on his part. This is 2014 folks. The good old days of gun ownership is gone forever!

With all the gun crime in the US today, shootings and robberies every single minute in this country, what public reaction do you expect when walking around with an assault rifle? I'm like a couple other folks on here, 'I don't need that kind of PR representation. I'll represent myself just fine, and do so without instilling fear into people to get them to think how I want them to think. When we carry firearms for the purpose of "getting people used to seeing them", that's no different in MY OPINION, than Adolph Hitler and the Nazi party instilling fear into people to get them to think the way THEY wanted them to.

We're losing ground every single day, so I think a "low profile" with a firearm is the way to go.

We as legitimate gun owners are not going to win popular public opinion by exposing people to guns that want nothing to do with them.  

Good day.

Dave

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 2