squirrrl hunting with 22?

Guest jrbaker90

I had one of the Daisy pump pellet rifles as a kid.  Granted, all that time shooting was with 12-16 yr old eyes, but within it's lethal range (20-30 yds?), it was a tack driver.  Sub 1" groups with the stock iron sights were cake.  I'd routinely blow the center out of a small bore rifle target with BB's.  Many a matchbox car or green army man met it's demise.  And if the shotgun effect was desired, drop a dozen or so BB's down the bore, and viola!  Instant shotgun. 

The modern GAMO air rifles should be even better.  I've been thinking about getting one for quite a while to use as pest control in my suburban back yard. 

If I had every green army man or matchbox car that I destroyed with a pellet gun as a kid, I think I could make a fortune on ebay! Then someone showed me how you could shoot strike anywhere kitchen matches out of the pellet gun. VIOLA!!!! Instant napalm for those little army men and matchbox cars!!

Disclaimer: This is totally for entertainment purposes only and no child (nor some adults) should repeat any actions as stated by the author. Trained professional, don't try this crap at home and no pigeons were harmed in the process!

Dave

Edited by DaveS
Guest Bonedaddy

I've got a Beeman .22 air rifle I've been thinkin' 'bout takin' out in the woods. Purdy stout, considerin'. I'll completely flatten a lead pellet at 75 yds on a steel .22 swinger target. I mean flat as a dime, too. I've noticed, though, that until the air chamber is warmed up, its accuracy might be a tad off, so it's good to crank the hell outta the barrel and let that piston warm it up good before you fully cock it. Might just try it this weekend.

When I was a kid, I had a Benjimen .22 air pistol that was accurate as all get out. Killed many a bird and squirrel runnin' through the neighborhood in Memphis with it but I'm gonna tell ya, we found a little brown bat hangin' in my neighbor's apple tree, in the middle of Winter with snow on the ground and I got a ladder and shot that damn thing several times point blank with that pistol, had it bleedin' good and that damn thing still flew off and skeered the crap outta us kids. That is one tough critter, it is. Wish I still had that pistol.

Something else to keep in mind, safety related.  A 22LR supposedly can travel over a mile in distance.  A friend of mine's son was standing in his own yard and got hit by a stray 22 in his foot.  Luckily it didn't do much damage, but it traveled through his foot and out the bottom into his shoe.  Just something to keep in mind if you are shooting a 22LR up in a tree.

Lucky, I can't be traced for these comments. I hate squirrels, particularly in my attic. I practice a morning coffee drill. I sip coffee and watch a slot clearing out my kitchen window. When bogey squirrel enters target area, window goes up, scoped 10/22 comes out. Firing CCI "Quiet" 22LRs, neighbors have never noticed. At less than 75 feet, the CCI Quites are deadly. Now and then I may be off a half inch or hit a thick part of pelt, but I guarantee that squirrel is limping and never returns to share my coffee. If I ever get tired of this, I'll switch to the 22 barrel with the SIG P226. That makes a bit more noise, even with the Quiets, so wifey needs to be out of the house. She doesn't mind the body count or the 22 Quiets, but she's not fond of pistol reports from her kitchen.

Note: When using Quiets, or equivalent low velocity ammo, in semi-auto long gun or pistol, you'll need to manually eject and charge each shot. Aside from that, the Quiets are incredibly effective.

Edited by Vistar
  • Like 1

A friend of mine in Florida had squirrels chew the gas line on his pickup. He decided to go on a mission like Vistar. It's been 7 years of shooting squirrels off the bird feeder from his home office window. He says he can't tell that he's even put a slight dent in the population. He estimates he's killed over 100 per year for 7 years. He's thinking about giving up. :)

Never give up. Your friend must remember that the diffiult can be done at once. The impossible may take a little longer. Although tree rats breed rapidly and are amazingly resilient, they are still vulnerable to lead poisoning.

• Like 1

I've been using a buck knife to hunt squirrels.......been doing it for years......still haven't caught one!  :rofl:

If you'd stop chasing them thangs on foot Bubba, and learn ta' throw that there buck knife, maybe we'uns would stop going hungry!!!

Dave

You guys have to stop this stuff. After reading this post this morning, I started reminiscing about the good old dayd going into the woods squirrel hunting when I was a youngster. This afternoon after work I went to my LGS just to look around and maybe find some 45 acp. While there I was talking about Henry rifles and how they are made in my home town. The guy at the counter says we have a couple of their 22lr in stock, so I go look at them and 10 minutes later I am the owner of a new Henry frontier octagon barrel 22lr. Now I need to get a scope (eyes ain't what they use to be) and do some squirrel hunting or at least some range time. ;) Edited by joe45

Joe45 --> Been there and done that. Wound up with a Remy 597 with scope and then a 10/22 with scope and then trigger kits for both. In the end, the Remy is heavier with its bull barrel and a real good shooter, but the 597 kit trigger at about 4 pounds is a little stiffer so I mainly use the 10/22. But, darn, I got to thinking about a lever action and that evolved into picking up a vintage Marlin 336 and then a brand new Nikon scope. Lots of range time since then and a huge squirrel count via 22 pellet pistol and 10/22 22lr Quiets through window, Have yet to fire the 336 from kitchen hideout, but must admit, I dislike squirrels quite a bit and a 30-30 round would eliminate need to dispose of bodies.