Both TN Senators Go For Yellen

Fight the fights that matter.  Throw this loon out and another similar loon will be appointed while those who *constantly* vote against *every* offering will earn nothing but bad publicity and bad press.   The one in charge of the appointments is the problem.... fix that, and you fix all the little peons.   Granted, running the fed is a bigger peon than most, but at the end of the day, what can the fed person do?  Raise and lower rates ... well they can't go much lower, really, --- most of the rest of it is propping up the falling house of cards by trying to avoid spooking the market which in turn spooks businesses and they stop hiring ... oh, wait!    Honestly, it can't get much worse than now without a serious breakdown, and even the most idiotic obama supporter will avoid *that* if possible. 

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1

Alexander and Corker have let every scoundrel that Obama wanted ascend to their lofty places by going along to get along.  They get fooled into compromise then have to fool the folks back home to get re-elected.  Now it seems the way to a strong economy is to keep printing money until it's not much stronger than Monopoly currency.  It seems now that every outrageous bill in Congress must be passed to solve some created or self-inflicted emergency.  We don't need leaders, we need first responders.

• Like 1
Guest TankerHC
IMHO one of the more accurate and humorous political posts I have seen. Since it applies to 90% of our elected non representatives, hope you don't mind, I am going to commandeer it. (Commandeer because steal doesn't sound good)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

News Flash: Americans are tired of the gridlock that you support and is why the right is losing elections. Pick and choose your battles, IMHO.

It's not that Americans are tired of the gridlock that keeps con artists like Obama in.  It's that so many voters want a share of the suckers' money.

Edited by gun sane
  • Like 1

Except here, it is not compromise.  Again, if they vote that one down, the next one will be just as bad.  There is an infinite supply of idiots waiting on the sidelines to be picked for these jobs.   The choice, again, is to vote for one of em, or vote for none of em.  And voting against all of them is not, at this time, a great plan.   That means leaving the fed in limbo, which causes backlash in all sorts of areas --- from businesses wanting to hire, to the stock market and other markets, which have ripple effects on unemployment and consumer confidence (or whatever the term is for willingness to spend money) and dozens of other things.   

We can argue the necessity or evil or whatever of the fed but ATM the fed is reality, and it has a big influence in a lot of pies.

We can argue that leaving it without a leader is a good conservative thing to do, but @ what costs?!

We can argue that constant rejection of appointees will send a message and get a moderate pick, but for a 1 year left lame duck that is not gonna happen.

Again, what "choice" or "compromise" are you talking about?  There is no positive outcome from any of the choices.  Letting one of them into the position seems to me to be the least damaging choice.   I dislike our senators but in their place, I might have done the same (cant say 100% as there is always more to the story that the public can get).

Last two fed chairmen were put in by Reagan and Dubya. Not like things exactly stayed rosy under either. Greenspan looked good for most of his tenure, until he didn't. Bernake's policies of course didn't exactly make the economy run like a scaled dog either.

Could be the Fed Chairman has less overall significance than most assume period. Last best economy we had was when Greenspan served under Slick Willy after all.

- OS

Last two fed chairmen were put in by Reagan and Dubya. Not like things exactly stayed rosy under either. Greenspan looked good for most of his tenure, until he didn't. Bernake's policies of course didn't exactly make the economy run like a scaled dog either.

Could be the Fed Chairman has less overall significance than most assume period. Last best economy we had was when Greenspan served under Slick Willy after all.

- OS

Its a strange position.  The public statements from the job often have more effect on the economy than the actual deeds.  I think if the person just randomly changed the interest rate by 0.1 % or less (either direction), without any news interviews or econbabble,  it would be very interesting to watch.   But what is scary is when *nothing changed* but the person did a brief interview or made a couple of statements and the stocks jump around....

That was the problem with bernake.  He kept flapping his gums on TV when he should have stayed home. 

Edited by Jonnin

Its a strange position.  The public statements from the job often have more effect on the economy than the actual deeds.  I think if the person just randomly changed the interest rate by 0.1 % or less (either direction), without any news interviews or econbabble,  it would be very interesting to watch.   But what is scary is when *nothing changed* but the person did a brief interview or made a couple of statements and the stocks jump around....

And that is all assuming that the stock market is an actual reflection of the real economy, which I just don't believe any more. It has become its own rarefied specialty industry.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

And that is all assuming that the stock market is an actual reflection of the real economy, which I just don't believe any more. It has become its own rarefied specialty industry.

- OS

All the stock market really is now is legalized gambling with oddly named poker chips.   It is a murky reflection of the real economy because real money is tied up in it,  a LOT of real money.  And here again we have mysterious effects.... because people believe the market matters, the market matters.  Because of that belief, investors do things that effect big businesses which effect the economy.  

So what you said is true,  but while the market does not really represent the GDP or unemployment or even the true value of an individual company, it still matters due to the perceptions and real effects caused by them.

• Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils

I like gridlock. It is the least-harmful currently achievable state of government.

Recent surveys indicate that more people than ever, large majorities of USA citizens, believe the government too big and powerful. If logic would mean anything, then that ought to mean that large majorities would favor gridlock in order to weaken the power of a too-big government. However, logic probably doesn't have much to do with it.

Yellen most likely means increasingly more quantitative easing in our future. The QE most likely has more effect on us than the FED setting statutory inter-bank interest rates. They probably wouldn't ever appoint any person who could improve the behavior of the fed. But a few of the board members seem not entirely bad eggs, as best I can tell. Sometimes one of them will speak what almost seems to be good sense.

Fed Reserve desperately needs an in-depth audit.

Meanwhile;

1/8/14
Thanks for getting in touch with me and letting me know what’s on your mind regarding the future of our country.

President Obama has laid out a blueprint for a very different kind of America – one with less freedom, more government, more taxes, more spending, more borrowing. It’s an America that our children and grandchildren will have difficulty affording. We’re on track to double the national debt in five years and triple it in ten years. That’s why I opposed the president’s budget as well as the so-called stimulus that will add a trillion dollars in new debt over the next ten years.

I will continue to work hard in the Senate to get things done for Tennesseans. I’ll support our president when he’s right and oppose him and come up with a better idea when he’s wrong. Senators on this side of the aisle don’t need new principles and don’t need to hire a PR firm. We need to turn the principles we believe in into solutions that affect Americans on an everyday basis – solutions on energy prices, health insurance, helping to balance the family budget, boosting the economy, and keeping spending under control.

I’m grateful you took the time to let me know where you stand, and I’ll be sure to keep your comments in mind as these issues are discussed in Washington and in Tennessee.

Sincerely,
Lamar

I complained to Lamar many times and as you may know whatever you put in the topic line you'll get some form letter regardless of your comments, even if you write "Time to retire, I'm voting Joe Carr".
  • Like 1

I will continue to work hard in the Senate to get things done for Tennesseans. I’ll support our president when he’s right and oppose him and come up with a better idea when he’s wrong....Lamar

I take it that his vote for Yellen means he believes Obama is right.