Well this sucks!

VERO1

I never get a flu shot ever, never get the flu.. Well the odds finally caught up with me, I am home for the second day with the flu. Doctor gave me so many meds I rattle when I walk. She confirmed the flu by doing the nasal swabs inserted roughly 3 feet in each nostril. Boy there's a good time there!

I really can't believe how quickly it hit me. I was fine when I went to bed about 11:00pm. Completely different story at midnight.

They had to take my neighbor to hospital by ambulance the other night. They thought he was having a heart attack but it turned out to be the flu. He is still in hospital and his family have been at his house cleaning everything in it and using Lysol spray on everything for when he comes home. The last two trips to my doctor last two years she has been out of the flu shots so I had her write me prescriptions for some strong antibiotics and I take one a day just like a vitamin to boost my immune system. So far it has worked. I guess I could go to Walgreens or Krogers and get a shot since they both offer them in their Pharmacies. Hope yall make it through it ok cause from what I hear it is some really nasty stuff................jmho

Edited by bersaguy

Antibiotics have no effect on viruses

And taking them for non specific reason is overall a very bad idea. They don't work like vitamins in any way, and certainly don't build up your "resistance" to anything over time. Indeed, you're just training bacteria to adapt and resist them.

Overuse of antibiotics as a nation is the reason we have the super duper killer strep and staph and whatnot strains that have evolved.

And as tnguy says, have zero effect on any virus.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 10
[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1089122" timestamp="1388866419"]And taking them for non specific reason is overall a very bad idea. They don't work like vitamins in any way, and certainly don't build up your "resistance" to anything over time. Indeed, you're just training bacteria to adapt and resist them. Overuse of antibiotics as a nation is the reason we have the super duper killer strep and staph and whatnot strains that have evolved. And as tnguy says, have zero effect on any virus. - OS[/quote] As someone in healthcare, I wish I could like this 10 times.
  • Like 3

And taking them for non specific reason is overall a very bad idea. They don't work like vitamins in any way, and certainly don't build up your "resistance" to anything over time. Indeed, you're just training bacteria to adapt and resist them.

Overuse of antibiotics as a nation is the reason we have the super duper killer strep and staph and whatnot strains that have evolved.

And as tnguy says, have zero effect on any virus.

- OS

It's an ugly situation. I spent 16 hours or so in ICU this week. At least at that hospital, they give you an antiseptic sponge bath every 24 hours, and swab your nose with an ointment several times a day. I forget the frequency. They do this just to fight bacteria that they can't fight any other way. The bacteria is winning because of the way we have mismanaged antibiotics all these years.

• Like 1
So from my point of view:
1. Get flu shot. ( and no it's not to late. We will probably get another wave or two after this one falls off)
2. Only have a 48 hour window once symptoms start to start treatment. Past that, get ready for 1-2 weeks of torture.
3. Vero hope you get to feeling better quickly
Come to think of it, the only people I know that get the flu always bitch about how they are confused at how they got it "since I got a flu shot." Maybe this is just me... Sent from somewhere in the cosmos using magic...and bacon.
I think it's just you, Ted. Ever met someone who said, "I can't understand why I got polio; I got the vaccination"? The flu shot is not a 100% guarantee you won't get sick, but it lessens the odds and often the severity. Sent from my iPhone using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL]

I think it's just you, Ted. Ever met someone who said, "I can't understand why I got polio; I got the vaccination"?

The flu shot is not a 100% guarantee you won't get sick, but it lessens the odds and often the severity.

The shingles vaccine only betters odds by about 60%, but from what I've heard from folks who get shingles,  I jumped at getting the shot to hopefully hedge the bet.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
I got the flu shot every year I could remember up till I was 13. I also came down with the flu every year I could remember up till I was 13. After that I decided to tell my mother I wasn't getting a flu shot ever again. And no matter what doctors say or believe, I have only gotten the flu 1 time in the last 20 years. My wife just got over the flu last week and it lasted about 8 days. Fortunately I didn't catch it but I am more into natural type concoctions to stay healthy this time of year. The one thing in all my years I have found to never fail in helping get over colds or prevent respiratory sicknesses is raw garlic.Every day I take one garlic clove and mince it up and leave it sit for about 15 mins and then eat it raw. I won't lie ot taste like crap but its always worked for me.
[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1089122" timestamp="1388866419"] Overuse of antibiotics as a nation is the reason we have the super duper killer strep and staph and whatnot strains that have evolved. And as tnguy says, have zero effect on any virus. - OS[/quote] I too would like this more if I could. One thing some people don't realize, the vast majority of antibiotic use in America is in livestock farming. Even if humans quit abusing antibiotics as much, my guess is resistant bacteria would still pop up and "make the jump" so to say from animals to us because of our overuse in livestock.

I got the flu shot every year I could remember up till I was 13. I also came down with the flu every year I could remember up till I was 13. After that I decided to tell my mother I wasn't getting a flu shot ever again. And no matter what doctors say or believe, I have only gotten the flu 1 time in the last 20 years. My wife just got over the flu last week and it lasted about 8 days. Fortunately I didn't catch it but I am more into natural type concoctions to stay healthy this time of year. The one thing in all my years I have found to never fail in helping get over colds or prevent respiratory sicknesses is raw garlic.Every day I take one garlic clove and mince it up and leave it sit for about 15 mins and then eat it raw. I won't lie ot taste like crap but its always worked for me.

My wife's mother is a nurse, a vegan and in to natural stuff as well.

Her mother and my wife got me drinking what they call "garlic tea.'

We use:

1 full bulb and boil the garlic in water until it has boiled down half way.

Then juice 2 fresh lemons and pour it in the cup of garlic tea (the garlic water, no cloves in it).

Then add local honey to taste.

That might taste better to you. :up:

This stuff really helps you get over crud faster. I've seen my wife get over crap in two days when I was sick for over a week. Sometimes I got sick and she did this and the below vitamines and never got what I had!

She also bombs herself with vitamins. Zinc, vitamin C, magnesium, Echinacea golden seal, and a multi vitamin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro v2.2
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
We put fresh garlic in everything. Also, had not heard I this until recently, but I made my wife some "black pepper tea". Used the french press but instead of coffee used a teaspoon or so of ground black pepper. Worked very well as a decongestant and helped her get back on her feet. We try to educate ourselves about as many herbal remedies as possible and treat the doctor as the "last option" for anything we can. Sent from my iPhone using [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]Tapatalk[/URL]

My point on this whole debate is this: It's easy for us to sit here and bash vaccinations for relatively minor things like the flu (which still kills thousands every year) when we are so far removed from things like small pox and polio. They both have been eradicated by and large from the use of vaccinations, not by avoiding them. Let me as you all this: How many of you would refuse a cancer vaccination should one be developed? I would certainly take the small risk associated with vaccines to lessen my odds of coming down with "the big C." 

• Like 1

I went and got my shot yesterday. Makes you feel a little rough around the edges, but not near as bad as the real thing. With my luck, I'll catch the real flu before it has a chance to work.

You might be still a bit rocky from your other recent thing, dunno.

I took both flu and pneumonia shots at same time, no effect whatsoever.

- OS

I know what some are saying.  I am the same way.  Every time I get the flu shot, I seem to get sick shortly thereafter...and my shoulder hurts from the shot too.  I seem to do better without the shot.  Not shitting on medicine or vaccines, but the flu shot just doesn't seem to work for me.  More power to those for whom it does!

For that matter I don't know if I have ever had "The Flu".  I mean i have had fevers and puking and joint aches...feel like I am going to die, but can't remember ever being sick with it for more than 3 days.  

I think a lot of people think they have had "the Flu", when they really had something lesser.

You might be still a bit rocky from your other recent thing, dunno.

I took both flu and pneumonia shots at same time, no effect whatsoever.

- OS

I guess I'm truly blessed, I have not every had a problem with taking vaccines. As one who has had bot the full blown flu, and several bouts of pneumonia; I do take the shots every year.  My wife takes them and she feels bad for 3-5 days afterward. I'm not sure they help her or not. We can predict that every year. without fail, she will be sick in December or January. To the point of being bedridden for a week. But then, she has never had her tonsils removed and has throat and ear infections that seem to center around that. 

And at our ages, tonsillitis is no fun. But surgery is pretty unsafe now for her.

I got my flu shot two months ago, 3 weeks ago I get strep. Anybody want to trade luck?

Although strep is was hard on the nodes in my neck, aspirin and ibuprofen are your friend big time.

My sister got strep this year. We don't even know how she ended up getting it.

But this time, it was fever, chills, some really light sinus, dry throat, an occasional cough and tons of fatigue. Not the normal real bad sore throat that you get with strep. She thought she had a cold or whatever, but the DR did a swab and found it.

She got a shot and that cleared it up in a couple days. (She works in Mental Health, so she takes the flu shot every year.)

Odd that it was more like a light cold than a bad case of strep with sore throat from hell that I recall it being like.

Last time I had strep was like 1998 (and I think I got it at work testing milk products by tasting before I ran it on the filler machine - have to do that with every changeover and the pipe from the bowl that you purge from and taste sits in a gutter on the side of the machine). I got it like 2 or 3 times while I worked at that dairy. Never had it before and never had it since I quit there.

I got the flu shot back in October while in the hospital after knee surgery. A few weeks ago my oldest daughter got the flu and her pediatrician put the entire family on Tamiflu. Don't know if Tamiflu is as effective as they claim but I took it anyway. Didn't want to take any chances of coming down with that nasty stuff!
Never had the flu shot, never had the flu. I am not sure how they can develop a shot for a strain of flu that has not been identified yet. I researched vaccinations before me kids where born and cannot see where they are worth the risk. I finally had a doc that was retiring that said most where not necessary. I think Polio was eradicated more by sanitation practices than the vaccine. You could get Polio at the local swimming pool. Once they started treating the water it became safe.

The flu shot is based on models of what they think will be going around. It's quite possible they'll be wrong or that a new strain will show up but it's not witch doctor stuff.

We're not having the shots fwiw but after I got that swine flu a few years back, it's tempting.