Glozell Green eats a Habanero

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC

To me, Habanero's, even the hot one's aren't all that hot. Real hot peppers are the capsicum peppers the Greek Restaurants in Greektown (Baltimore) use to cook with, I don't even see how they can eat those things without their head exploding. I tried them once, as a kid, and that was enough for me.

For your amusement, someone who doesnt eat "hot and spicy", Glozell eats a Habanero.

http://youtu.be/HYF9bImkOL4

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils
Gramma used to grow pepper plants in old paint buckets, may have been perennial bushes. They had a farm in AL but probably brought the bushes back from TX where they lived a few years during the depression.

Have tried to look up the species, but don't see anything quite like em in the numerous wikipedia pepper pics. Almost perfectly round red peppers maybe 3/8" diameter, each with a little juice and lots of little seeds.

They would crush some of the peppers and put em in recycled "texas pete" type shaker bottles soaked in vinegar, use it for spicing up such as turnip greens.

The pure un-diluted peppers were the most potent I recall. If you would eat one it would raise blisters in yer mouth, and even putting some of the undiluted pepper juice on the back of your arm would raise a blister like a chemical burn. Edited by Lester Weevils
Guest Lester Weevils

You thinking of Pequins Lester? They're a little more oval than perfectly round but are small and pack a punch.

Thanks Garufa. Yep the pequin pictures and description seem closest to what I recall, but I recall em being nearly spherical. But it was a long time ago and may be recalling wrong.

Thanks Garufa. Yep the pequin pictures and description seem closest to what I recall, but I recall em being nearly spherical. But it was a long time ago and may be recalling wrong.

There's another called the Tepin that actually might be what I've always called Pequins.  Tepins are little round devils that look like berries.

Edited by Garufa
  • Moderators

Sophomore year in high school the guy behind me had some habaneros. In a nutshell, I ate one. Didn't have any milk or bread to eat. Just say there for the entirety of the burn and tried to appear normal. I must have gotten a bit of the oil on my hand because my face started burning.

Overall, the initial burn wasn't that bad. I sat through the class and was mostly ok. It was the next few days that the burn was the worst.

Coincidentally, I was sitting next to my wife at the time, just didn't know it yet.

I love hot stuff, but it doesn't "agree" with me much anymore. Some spices are ok, but then sometimes even less "spicy" things tear me up.

Bread is about the best thing I have found to remove the hot sting of very hot peppers. Plain old white bread is best but most any loaf bread will do. back several years ago I use to have a garden and I grew some Habanaro's and cyannes(spellings) for a buddy of mine that likes to put it in his chili and Jambalaya when he makes it and he makes some killer in both. He makes me some but pulls mine before he adds those and just has the chili peppers in mine. I use to love the real hot stuff but can't eat stuff that hot any longer. If my health will permit it this year I think I will put in another small garden this year. Give me something to do to full some down time plus have a bunch of friends that I could grow food for that don't have the time to grow their own. My Pepper buddy always paid to have a guy come with a tractor to turn the ground in early Spring and I grew all the food and bought the plants and seeds. I hope my health will allow it....................jmho