First deer rifle advice

Guest seehorn

Guest seehorn
Hey guys was wondering if someone could give me some guidance. I really want to get back into hunting and need to get outfitted with a suitable deer rifle. While I am by no means an experienced hunter, having not grown up in a hunting household, I have been a few times with borrowed equipment. No that I am back in the south I'm really wanting to get out there. Basically I am just wanting some ideas on an rifle that will serve me well without breaking the bank. I'm left handed but can operate a "normal" bolt gun, although it looks weird. ;) Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Taylor

Get what's most comfortable, a lefty.  Ruger sells great reliable bolt actions in lefty as do many other manufacturers.  I would suggest .270  or .243 if you haven't shot in a while but there are plenty of choices.  30-06, .308 are the most common so ammo is usually pretty plentiful for all the previously mentioned calibers.  You can also go with a lever action and not care which side you shoot from.  30-30, .444 Marlin, .44 Mag.  Get a good 3x-9x scope, shoot it in and go hunting!

How much is "breaking the bank" by the way?

• Like 1
Guest seehorn
Wow thanks for the reply. I do shoot regularly but mainly AR's/shotgun/pistol. Breaking the bank would probably be 600 right now unless I traded something else (which I swore off doing a few times over the year) I didn't even think of a lever gun... Hmmmm

Become a Benefactor here and put in a wish list in the classifieds under "Want to Buy" and see what happens.

Getting a quality left handed bolt action and decent glass on top of it for under $600 is going to be tough and most likely only in the used condition.

As a lefty, a lever gun is the way to go IMHO.  Lefty bolts are rare, and once you buy it, you are kinda stuck with it if you did not like it.  An ar type platform works too, those are easy to operate for a lefty, most of the controls are neutral or easily replaced with neutral/left. 

I use a 308 lever gun.   You are not stuck with 30-30 but that is the most common, just be aware that there are other calibers out there.  The 308 is a bit stout, but I handload and can make them do whatever, it does not *have* to fly flat for 800 yards to hunt around here, you can make it perform as a 243 or 30-30 or even less and still do fine at 100 yards, and retain the option of using the full powered ammo if you like it or want to go on a longer range hunt.

Trouble is most of the non 30-30 levers are not cheap.  Dunno what is out there, I lucked into mine at a very fair price, its a browning.

• Like 2
Guest seehorn
Thanks to all of you for the advice. The idea of of lever action is sounding pretty good right now so I'll start some research in that direction. I know bolt guns can get expensive, especially when you are talking the left handed action so it looks like I'll stay away from those as my first deer gun for now. Thanks again.

Get what's most comfortable, a lefty.  Ruger sells great reliable bolt actions in lefty as do many other manufacturers.  I would suggest .270  or .243 if you haven't shot in a while but there are plenty of choices.  30-06, .308 are the most common so ammo is usually pretty plentiful for all the previously mentioned calibers.  You can also go with a lever action and not care which side you shoot from.  30-30, .444 Marlin, .44 Mag.  Get a good 3x-9x scope, shoot it in and go hunting!

How much is "breaking the bank" by the way?

Rightwinger you forgot the .35 Rem in a lever very capable, and a real thumper. I got a .444 this year and it is becoming my favorite real fast, it is reliable and accurate out to 200 yds.

I have always liked the lever action 30-30. It has probably put more meat on the table than any other cartridge.  95% of the deer I have bagged have been from less than 100 yards, most have been 50 yards or less.  My second choice would be a bolt action 30-06 but I'm old fashion.

I have always liked the lever action 30-30. It has probably put more meat on the table than any other cartridge.  95% of the deer I have bagged have been from less than 100 yards, most have been 50 yards or less.  My second choice would be a bolt action 30-06 but I'm old fashion.

LOL! Yeah, those new fangled inventions from the start of the twentieth century just won't cut it! :rofl:

30-30 introduced 1895

30-06 first released as 30-03 in 1903, and improved in 1906.

Guest TresOsos

I generally get my deer during the first muzzle loader season, but if I have to hunt with a rifle, I have a little customised Remington Model 7 in .243 that I just love.

Light weight and handy, accurate, easy to carry around and plenty powerful for TN Whitetail.