CANIK 55 TP9

Steelharp

Been doing some looking into these. Have one in the shop. Reviews I have found are all good. Kind of like a Walther in the grip. 17 + 1 capacity. The interesting thing, to me, is the "pre-cock" (for lack of a better term) trigger. Once loaded, the trigger can be pulled back to the reset point and left there. It also has a decocker so you can return it to the full travel, if you wish.

Field stripped it (really easy!), and inside it looks really good and clean. Well made, no marks of any kind. Anyone here have one? Curious as to your thoughts on it.

Oh, it comes with two mags, and a Serpa style holster with a belt AND a paddle attachment! So, you don't have to try to hunt for a holster for it. It's good to go when you buy it.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest earlybird

I've been looking for one. If it is not a Glock, Sig, or 1911 my LGS don't carry them. The trigger reminds me of the P99 anti-stress trigger. If Bud's or Centerfire gets them back in stock for $299 I'll jump on one. Wanting to hold it first, though.

Guest kingarmory

Customer bought one, seems like a well made gun.  It did break a firing pin after a few hundred rounds though, hopefully that was just a fluke

Nice article! This isn't the case, though:

"But all is not perfect in the land of foot stools and steamy baths. The TP-9 has one major flaw: a God-awful trigger. While it doesn’t exhibit any creep, it’s long and heavy as hell. My trigger scale tripped at 8.5 lbs."

Much better on this one; that's not even a close description.

Guest earlybird

Placed my order for one through Centerfire Systems about 20 minutes ago. 299.99, I paid with my cc, so an extra 3%. Plus 18.00 shipping. and the $20 transfer fee at my local ffl. So not to bad, comes with the case, 2 17 round mags, locking holster and cleaning accessories. Will post lots of pictures and a thorough range report when it arrives. I really wanted the titanium one, but decided on black/black just in case I decide not to like it and sell it. If I love it, I will order the titanium finish, 

Guest earlybird

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd it arrived during my lunch break. First impression, very nice. Polymer feels good, if not great. The slide is light weight and the barrel looks very good. Rifling in the barrel is impressive. Came with everything advertised. 2 - 17 round mags, cleaning rods, locking holster with belt and leg attachments, and a mag loader. The mag loader ain't no good, should toss it away, but I like keeping everything together. The trigger is marginal/very good. Double action is long and very heavy, my wife had a hard time pulling it. Single action is very good, I only ran a handful of rounds through it, and out of the box, near perfect. I got used to the sights on my SP2022, so I had to readjust and compensate for the different trigger feel. I didn't get a picture of the groupings, they were good, not great. Need to work with it some more, the Sig has spoiled me. Did I get a deal? YES. It is a quality firearm and worth the 299 and more. I'd say with some improvements on the trigger, and not much is needed, it will be my go to gun. Who knows, maybe the trigger will loosen up a bit. Several people at work placed orders for one after fondling mine. 

Compared to my Sig SP2022. They are very close in size, the pictures below don't look it, but they are. The Sig just looks a little chunkier. The TP9 is noticeably lighter and has the better sights. I was impressed with them. The polymer frames "feel" very similar in quality. The Sig is a little bit grippy-er. The TP9 fits better in my hand, guess that is the reason to the smoother grip. I haven't tried the larger backstrap yet. Both have the same feel to slide lock up, and run smooth. The TP9 has a bit more snap to it. though I could shoot them both all day. Sig mags are easier to find. I suspect Walther P99 mags may fit the TP9, I just don't have the funds to buy one for a test fit. May call Century to see if any are available. They are made by Mec-Gar, may call them as well. Don't know what else to say, if I think of something I will add it.

Sooooo, it is a keeper. Will have it for the long haul. I will see how it does with the volume of rounds I put through my firearms. Other than the trigger, the only gripe I have, and it is a big one, it fits a little loose in the supplied plastic locking holster. Rattles around too much for my liking. Not sure how that will play out in the future.    

IMG_0668_zpsfdc3542a.jpg

IMG_0667_zpsc82149ce.jpg 

That's a good thought about the P99 mags. The grip angle is similar, but I don't have a mag to compare to your pic. The obvious difference is the baseplate and how it would mate with the TP9.

It's at least worth checking out.

Thanks for the comments. Did you see the Titanium slide version? It looks pretty cool.

Guest earlybird

Yes I did see the titanium one. I wanted that one ;) But wasn't sure if it would be a keeper. Black on black would be an easier sell than the titanium finish. Once some funds loosen up, stupid unexpected ER visit, I may order the titanium one and keep it in the safe. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest earlybird

1 update. After about 300 rounds my groupings started going everywhere. It boggled me for a minute. Then it was pointed out the front sight was off. It has worked itself loose. It is mounted kinda stupidly. It is plastic and snaps into a groove in the slide, then a set screw is used to push the tangs out and securely hold it in place. It has worked itself loose and working on figuring out a way to try to tighten it up. I'll get some pictures of it later and hopefully it will be a little clearer. May have to contact Century and get another sight.

• 2 months later...
Guest earlybird

Another update. Been looking like crazy for extra mags. Found some. Walther PPQ 9mm M2 magazines fit, and latch. The spring plate does not fit the grip though. I will either have to mod the grip, or figure out a way to mod the spring plate. It is alwways the little things. Other than that, after 3,000 rounds, not so much as a hiccup. I have some nights sights for a p99 on order, they are a direct fit. The insides still remind me a bit of an air gun though. One spot has me concerned, a return spring held on by little plastic dowels. Just waiting for them to break. This gun has become my goto rnage gun now. Fun, accurate, and comfortable to shoot. So much so I sold my Sig SP2022, it was not getting used.