Rebarreling an M14/M1A

Spots

I have been giving serious though to rebarreling my Fed. Ordinance M14 to a 16" barrel to make it handier. I already know the pros and cons of velocity loss, my biggest question is how to go about doing it. Seems I have 3 options. Purchase a Smith Enterprise 16" barrel that I'm waiting on a price quote for nd have them install it for a fee of $75 since their barrels come short chambered and must be reamed on installation Purchase a Fulton Armory 16" barrel for $270 and install it at the shop I work at. Cut my current barrel and recrown and thread it for a compensator. My worry with this is my barrel is chrome lined and I don't want the chrome chipping out. Is this a valid concern? Any opinions welcome. I do understand the cons of this mod, mainly more noise and less velocity. But it being able to fit behind my truck seats and being handier in the woods makes up for this for me. Tapatalk ate my spelling.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Dolomite_supafly" post="1087027" timestamp="1388525788"]Chrome lining in a barrel isn't like chrome lining on a bumper. I have personally never seen a barrel have the lining chip out. To properly thread a barrel it must be removed from the receiver anyways.[/quote] Yeah I had planned on it pulling it and using a friend machine shop to do the work since I have access.

I dont have experience but doesn't a 16" barrel require a different gas system, whereas a 18" doesnt?
The SOCOM uses a different gas plug and a couple of other things, but nobody seems tonbe able to decide if its needed or not.

If anything it would require the gas port to be enlarged providing the gas block isn't past the 16" mark.
Gas port is behind the 16" mark. Most of what I'm hearing says it will probably run fine.

Not to knock anybody here, but here is a link to the best M1A/M14 resource on the net and a great online community. [url="http://m14forum.com/"]http://m14forum.com/[/url]
I'm already on there and have already asked. I just like to get as many opinons as possible. Tapatalk ate my spelling.
If I can figure out how to do a nice crown with the barrel in the action then I think this will be simple. They sell a gas lock that is thread for a compensator. Do all you do is remove the old one, chop the barrel at the gas lock threads, crown it, and screw this gas lock on, then screw your compensator on. http://www.fulton-armory.com/gas-cylinder-lock-with-dovetail-for-m14-m1a-socom-16.aspx Tapatalk ate my spelling.
[quote name="Dolomite_supafly" post="1087607" timestamp="1388613030"]You can shorten and do a crown without removing the barrel. You MUST remove the barrel to thread it.[/quote] Yeah I knew I would have to remove it to thread it. But if I do it with the socom gas block I wouldn't need to thread it as it just threads on in place of the factory one. I would just replace the gas plug with the SOCOM 16 which is shorter but has more volume. Tapatalk ate my spelling.