Best/Worst movies this year?

Guest Keal G Seo

Guest Keal G Seo

What are the best movies you saw (and that came out) this year? What about the worst to be avoided movies?

If you haven't seen them I would suggest Kick-Ass 2 and its predecessor from a year or two back. I also enjoyed This is the End and Bad Grandpa. Didn't care much at all for World War Z or Pacific Rim. WWZ just wasn't what I was expecting and PR was probably better in IMAX 3D.

I can't afford to go unless I can catch a matinee and normally I won't go alone so I just wait till they come out on netflix and get them then. World War Z was almost just like same theme as the movie "I am Legend" with Will Smith. Both hero's looking for the cure to zombies.  If you pay very much attention Hollywood has lost all of it's writing talents for creating new stuff and with the newer technology they are just taking most of the better old movies and redoing them with the new technology. I kinda noticed that back when they redid Star Wars and added a new beginning to the original version. Just like all these Hobbit movies. Before "Lord of the Ring' who knew what a Hobbit was? They show you all of the Lord of the Ring series and then start making movies to explain where Hobbits came from and how the power of the ring came to be. They do all of it backwards or start in the middle and work both ways............Oh well, if netflix gets them, I watch them, if not I don't.................jmho

Guest Keal G Seo

I can't afford to go unless I can catch a matinee and normally I won't go alone so I just wait till they come out on netflix and get them then. World War Z was almost just like same theme as the movie "I am Legend" with Will Smith. Both hero's looking for the cure to zombies.  If you pay very much attention Hollywood has lost all of it's writing talents for creating new stuff and with the newer technology they are just taking most of the better old movies and redoing them with the new technology. I kinda noticed that back when they redid Star Wars and added a new beginning to the original version. Just like all these Hobbit movies. Before "Lord of the Ring' who knew what a Hobbit was? They show you all of the Lord of the Ring series and then start making movies to explain where Hobbits came from and how the power of the ring came to be. They do all of it backwards or start in the middle and work both ways............Oh well, if netflix gets them, I watch them, if not I don't.................jmho

I feel ya man. I don't go to the theater much either. Like once every 2-3 years. Though I do make an event of it by going out of town, having a nice lunch and then going to see a mid afternoon movie. Most of the time though it is just on demand. Can't beat that IMAX 3D through.
It isn't that Hollywood is out of good writers, they have just done almost everything. Ever hear the joke "Simpsons did it!"? That is why we are seeing all the comic book movies now. As for LOTR, I read the books as a kid. Never read the ones out now, just the trilogy. Star Wars was just a couple years before me so I never could get into them...even the new ones.

Guest TankerHC

Worst:

Man of Steel. A 2 1/2 hour environmentalist commercial.

Elysium (sp), worst movie I saw all year, Bad writing, bad acting and bad directing = lousy movie, and it should have been a great movie. I dont think I will attend any movie that has the words "Jody Foster" in the credits again. From beginning to end, Contact was a great movie, completely ruined by Fosters one dimensional acting. Of course the other part was it was used to promote the 99% over the 1%. (Elysium)

Hangover Part III. Only funny part in the entire movie was the Giraffe-Overpass scene. Other than that, Hangover is played out.

Grown Ups II. Grown ups was lousy, so I went to see Grown Up's II not expecting it to be any less lousier. I was very well rewarded. All those funny guys are missing the thing that made them funny, Chris Farley.

The Lone Ranger. Only went because niece and nephew wanted to see it. I don't know if you can give a movie a minus thumbs up, but minus two thumbs up. Or would that be no thumbs up?

The Conjuring. The only thing "true" about this movie is that Ed and Lorraine Warren had been scamming people for 40+ years and couldnt win James Randi's 1 million dollars if they wanted to.

Think Ill just put that every movie I saw this year at the theaters was lousy. But I came name 30 that were made before 1975 that were better than everything I saw at the Theaters. 

I went to see The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in January, that was actually a 2012 movie. But it came out at Christmas. I had big expectations but made the mistake of seeing it in IMAX in the 48 FPS digitized version. It was like watching a Cartoon. I thought the reviewers were over doing it, but the scenery was so detailed I couldnt even concentrate on the movie. The sparks coming from Bilbo's chimney at the beginning, cartoon, the swords, plastic, you could see the plastic, actually they looked like fake wood. All of the actors makeup was so clearly makeup that it didnt look like characters, it looked like what it was, actors in makeup. The entire movie was like that. Then I bought the Special DVD Edition on Amazon for 10 bucks and liked it. 

Edited by TankerHC
I enjoyed Lone Ranger and World War Z. I just took them at face value for entertainment. I saw the Lone Ranger in theaters. I also enjoyed The Wolverine and Man of Steel, both courtesy of megshare lol. Tapatalk ate my spelling.
Guest Lester Weevils
Last movie I saw in theater was the first movie of the matrix trilogy, daughter dragged me to it. It sucked.

I'll know in a few years if they made anything decent this year, when they finally come out on tv or netflix.

I saw a couple of TV ads for Enders Game, hasn't that hit the theaters yet? I'm not curious enough to actually go to a theater to find out, but am kinda curious how bad they've managed to ruin a kinda-sorta interesting book. Orson Scott Card is interesting sometimes, but tends to have too much touchie-feelie dialog and not enough ray guns and spaceships. :)

So maybe they ruined the movie by taking out all the touchie feelie dialog stuff and adding super-cheez stupid ray guns and spaceships. Or maybe even worse they left all the touchie feelie dialog in there. Or maybe they could turn it into a bad Lord Of The Flies In Outer Space.

Anyway, am curious if they ruined it, and if so in what fashion. I'll find out in a few years when it comes on TV. Edited by Lester Weevils

Here's what I've seen that was released in 2013. I saw most of these from Redbox or on Amazon Instant. I don't go to the theatre that frequently.

Movies I would see again:

Kick-Ass 2

Captain Phillips

Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Movies I wasn't disappointed with, would not pay to see again, but would watch again if it was free:

WWZ

Admission

Machete Kills

Identity Thief

The Heat

Movies that were disappointing, but not an entire waist of my time:

Great Gatsby

Hangover 3

Olympus has Fallen

This is the End

Movies I wish I hadn't watched, complete waist of life:

Red Dawn

The Purge

I did not see these movies, but if any of y'all have, would appreciate a review:

We're the Millers

Internship

I did not watch Movie 43, but have seen the first scene and its pretty funny. Here's a link (warning: there's no curse words or nudity, but I wouldn't wanna be seen watching it where I work): http://www.toilettehumor.com/funny_adult_videos/the_blind_date.shtml

Edited by npgunner

I haven't found a movie worth seeing this year!

Bingo!  Too much today is computer generated.  There's more emphasis on visual effects than plot and character.  Or they're just stupid.  I like a movie with a good story, not a light show.

Edited by Motasyco
Guest TankerHC

Behind the Candelabra,

I haven't seen it but it's about Liberace and has Matt Damon in it, so I'm sure it's the worst movie of the year. Also has Catherine Zeta-Jone's husband in it which is the only reason I thought of it.

I hate to admit this but I really loved watching and listening to Liberace in the 70's. At the time I was being "forced" to learn Piano and Guitar at the same time. (Note: I cannot play Piano and suck at Guitar even though I played over 40 years), in the 70's Liberace was as big as Elvis and Evil Knievel. I hated Piano lessons, Liberace came on the Mike Douglas show. My father was what you might call a semi pro guitarist, played on a lot of studio sessions (Musicians know them as "Studio Musicians", he also played in bands and played with Chet Atkins on one of his albums. He "forced" me to watch Liberace one day on Mike Douglas, I recall complaining "Liberace is a weirdo" and my dad replying "Liberace is a showman, ignore all that, now shut up and listen to him play the Piano". Liberace played and in the interview with Mike Douglas looked at the camera and said something like this "Kids, if you want to learn to play the Piano, dont do it to be Liberace, dont do it to make money, dont do it to get rich and famous, do it because you love it, do it because you love the sound of the strings'. he was speaking of the Piano. My father was making me watch, and I felt like Liberace was talking directly to every kid, including me, who was being forced to take Piano lessons. It changed my attitude about being "forced" to play Piano. My dad was a man's man, Stevedore, union Leader (The hard way), rock musician, biker, Firearms Dealer, boxer and street fighter and watching Liberace didnt make him gay, me neither, if I come across a Liberace video today Ill still sit there and watch the entire video. Regardless of what anyone says about his personal life, the man was a real talent. He was not just a phony on the Piano who made a living with fake hair and outrageous clothes. It's a dad memory I wont forget.

But I have to agree with kieefer, regardless of how much I like Liberace's playing, I know there is little of it in the movie. The guy he "dated" who was 17 was on Howard Stern and talked about the movie, he had a big part in the production. This guy was "in love" with Liberace, and from the interview 99% of the movie focuses on Liberace's homosexuality, his makeup, his fake hair covering up his baldness, running around the house and acting like a queen in private, that sort of thing. 

Why not make a movie about what Liberace was really about to the public, his showmanship (Otherwise known as stage presence which most musicians wish they had at Liberace's level) and his excellence as a Pianist, nope, got to have a garbage movie made. 

Grown Ups II. Grown ups was lousy, so I went to see Grown Up's II not expecting it to be any less lousier. I was very well rewarded. All those funny guys are missing the thing that made them funny, Chris Farley. 

Grownups? Lousy? Come now Tanker... I thought it was one of the funniest movies I had seen in years at the time it came out! Usually every comedy movie winds up with someone getting a hard learned lesson or it gets all dramatic.. that one was just for laughs. I loved it. Part 2 was funny but it didn't have the same impact the first one did.

Here's the flicks I can recall watching.

Despicable Me 2 - Highly recommend. I have two kids so I took the whole family, we laughed pretty much the whole movie.

After Earth - If you were expecting Will Smith in an action film, you got the wrong movie.

Pacific Rim - Cheesy even on red box

World War Z - Good flick, wasn't a "look how pretty brad pitt is" film, which was my initial concern.

Enders Game - Great Sci-fi flick, though it did stray from the book quite a bit

Gangster Squad - Decent movie, if you can get past the guy from the notebook and his squeaky voice

Iron Man 3 - Didn't hold up to Part 1 & 2 in my opinion

Warm Bodies - Actually, wasn't all that bad...

Oblivion - I liked it, despite the fact that Tom Cruise is a crazy pants... I think he's a decent actor.

Identity thief - meh.. laughed a few times

Grown Ups 2 - Funny, though not as good as the first

Jack the Giant Slayer - surprisingly, not a bad movie

On a side note since it's not a movie: If you're not watching Game of Thrones, you're missing out.