Citizens take law into own hands after cash-strapped Ore. county guts sheriff's office

The Grainger County Sheriff's Department has received a lot of attention of late from the Knoxville News Media, with all the break ins and the jail escape.  Obviously, the good citizens of Grainger County need to remember just what they are getting for their money and clean the whole nest of vipers out of every office in the county and place good upstanding individuals in those offices.  Sadly, good upstanding individuals don't run for office anymore.

Use prisoners for work like this and give them a reason to stay out of trouble in the future.

Who's going to watch them and make sure they don't run off with the grader and I damn sure don't want prisoners doing school maintenance around my kids.

How is some person awaiting trial on check kiting worse than the same person after they get out of jail they hire now?

Obviously you don't put violent criminals out on the street to do odd jobs, but most counties here already have a work release program where these folks are free to go to their jobs and continue working.  How is this idea any different?

Who's going to watch them and make sure they don't run off with the grader and I damn sure don't want prisoners doing school maintenance around my kids.

Guest carter

The way the department I worked for ran the side jobs was this. You had to contact one of a couple of chiefs for assignments then you fill out a request so they can approve you to work. Then you get paid a set amount by the chief no matter what the side job paid the chief. The side job pays the chief directly and then the chief pays the officer. I never worked a side job but I had a friend who wanted to and didn't realize the chief's assigned jobs. The officer found out about a place that was paying something like $25/hr. He filled out the request and submitted it. Shortly after that the chief called him in and thanked him for finding the side job because he didn't know about it. The chief said that because the officer found the job he would pay the officer something like $15 which was more than he would normally pay. The officer got upset and the chief said he could either take the $15 an hour or the chief would deny his request to work a side job. The chief and I would talk from time to time and I talked to him about the side job thing a few times. He said it was the best job he had. Even said he made more doing the side job racket than his regular pay. He would take a cut of any officer that worked a side job he controlled. It wasn't long after that I quit because that particular thing really upset me, especially considering the officer needing the side job REALLY needed the money.

hummmmm that doesn't sound legal at all lol hes basically running a business without paying taxes...among other things, that's a very dishonest chief 

hummmmm that doesn't sound legal at all lol hes basically running a business without paying taxes...among other things, that's a very dishonest chief 

I have no clue if he isn't paying taxes. Doesn't take much to claim it on your taxes. My gut feeling is that he isn't just like most officers that work side jobs.

He even said if you have been burglarized come in the next business day to file a report and don't call them.

[sarcasm] So does that mean if you are forced to used deadly force to prevent some low-life from carrying out a home invasion buglary at your home do you reckon it would be okay to just stop by the next business day and file a report?  After all, if the assailant - the would-be home invader/burglar - is dead then it is no longer a 'life-threatening' situation, right?  I'd hate to see the Sheriff's Dept. wasting time on an investigation. [/sarcasm]

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1