Help me decide on a holster.

Guest eyebedam

• Administrator

I own an MTAC for every one of the guns that I might ever conceivably carry. I cannot recommend this holster strongly enough. :eek:

I also own a Milt Sparks VM2 for my Wilson and love that holster. I just hate the long wait time and hate the unrealistic prices that they get marked up for on eBay. That said, it's a great holster. I may order one for my Glock 19 sooner or later.

In the past I owned K&D holsters for both of my M&Ps. Great holsters also. Wait time isn't as bad as that from Milt Sparks but still top notch.

I'd be willing to try a Brommeland [sp?] for my Glock if JWP wants to hook me up with one. :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For pocket carry:

I traced the outside of a Makarov trigger guard on a piece of ¾ inch white wood. Cut out and shaped it with a dremmel. Folded a Mousepad around it, bottom side out. Trimmed it. I like it better than my Desantis nemesis. It will not pull out when you draw, Will not shift position. In fact it is difficult to put in my pocket. Prints like paper back book.

Guest eyebedam

Looks like the Comp-tac/ MTAC is the hands down winner by the majority of responses here. Ive always had a OWB style holster. Most of my jeans are a little baggy but not ghetto saggy. Is it hard to get used to carrying IWB. The more I think about it it seems the way to go. As far as a belt goes I have a wilderness belt now & will probably just use it. I would like to get a leather belt @ some point. Maybe when I recoup my funds a little. BTW does anyone know if Comp-Tac accepts paypal. I have a lil cash in a paypal account.

Edited by eyebedam
Guest Verbal Kint
Looks like the Comp-tac/ MTAC is the hands down winner by the majority of responses here. Ive always had a OWB style holster. Most of my jeans are a little baggy but not ghetto saggy. Is it hard to get used to carrying IWB. The more I think about it it seems the way to go.

If you prefer concealed carry, IWB is the way to go. I prefer OWB for range and class use... but always revert back to IWB otherwise.

After a day or two of wearing the MTAC (and geting it adjusted just right), you won't even notice it's there anymore. It really is a comfortable holster, and I believe you'll be very happy if you choose to go with one. The holster is awesome, and the company and customer service can't be beat. :eek:

Guest eyebedam

I do believe that is the holster I will purchase. The MTAC. Now as far as the Clips go which is the preferred? Velcro, Standard or the c-clips or does it even make a difference?

Guest Verbal Kint

Most people choose the standard clips.

The velcro clips are nice if you want a truly hidden application, but requires having velcro sewn onto the inside of your belt. Most shoe repair places can do this for you, for a small fee.

The C-clips are just that... forms a "c" shape that secures the top and bottom edges of your belt, from the inside, eliminating the view of straps on the outside of your belt. They work as advertised, but not really the best option, IMO.

While the standard clips will be viewable from the outside of the belt, they look no different than a cellphone/pager/etc on a belt. Most people won't even notice them unless they're right up on you, and even then won't give it a second thought. I have the standard clips in black, and wear a black belt... so they're almost invisible anyway. You can get the clips in different colors to match your use.

Hope that helps. :eek:

Guest eyebedam
Most people choose the standard clips.

The velcro clips are nice if you want a truly hidden application, but requires having velcro sewn onto the inside of your belt. Most shoe repair places can do this for you, for a small fee.

The C-clips are just that... forms a "c" shape that secures the top and bottom edges of your belt, from the inside, eliminating the view of straps on the outside of your belt. They work as advertised, but not really the best option, IMO.

While the standard clips will be viewable from the outside of the belt, they look no different than a cellphone/pager/etc on a belt. Most people won't even notice them unless they're right up on you, and even then won't give it a second thought. I have the standard clips in black, and wear a black belt... so they're almost invisible anyway. You can get the clips in different colors to match your use.

Hope that helps. :eek:

It does. Thanks to all for your input & thoughts. I believe im gonna go with the MTAC with standard black clips.

It does. Thanks to all for your input & thoughts. I believe im gonna go with the MTAC with standard black clips.

Post pic's when you get it!!!

O and ComTac give FREE candy too:rock:

I used standard clips for a while but have progressed to the C clips..I think they are just as easy to put on and take off. Plus you see less of them...

MMMMMMMMMMM elephant and Kydex my favorite:):eek:DSC01552.jpg

Metal,

I've been considering buying a really good IWB for awhile.

That's a good looking holster. Who made that one?

Update:Now that I look at it a little closer, it looks like it might be a Little Bear that you've added the clips to.

I really like the idea of having the Kydex clips with multiple holes. That would give me some flexibility to tweak the ride depth and cant just how I want it. Right now, K&D is probably my leading candidate for my next holster.

Edited by Buzz

Yup it was made by Dave!!!

His stuff keeps getting better..

He is sending me a prototype to critique for him.. I can't wait to see what he has come up with..I should get it next week..

Guest GUTTERbOY
+1

I've also heard good things about Tucker, and really liked the designs I've seen on his website as well as those posted by owners. What was the turn-around time with him, if you don't mind me asking?

I want to say it was around 3-4 weeks maybe. But I've had it for several years, so my memory's pretty fuzzy. I do recall that I got it well before the estimated time he gave me had gone by. I also ordered a belt from him, which has held up admirably over the years.

IMG_2049.jpg

Guest Boomhower

EMP with M.T.A.C.....Standard clips. I want to try the C-clips, just haven't gotten around to ordering them.

Hopefully this photo link will work. For some reason Picasa is picky about when it wants to link a photo and when it doesn't. If you can't see it, let me know.

DSC00771.JPG

Edited by Boomhower
Guest eyebedam

very nice boom. Does yours fit in there pretty tight? Reason I ask was I had read a review someone wroth that the mtac held most 3 in 1911s pretty snug but was a little loose on thE EMP.

Edited by eyebedam
Guest Boomhower
Does yours fit in there pretty tight? Reason I ask was I had read a review someone wroth that the mtac held most 3 in 1911s pretty snug but was a little loose on thE EMP.

Bogus statement. The slide is the same width as any other 1911. When I first got my MTAC, I tighted up the set screw at the trigger guard just enough to give the gun a little snug. I test this by holding the holster (with gun insterted) upside down. I wanted it to fall out, but with a little drag. This will give you a nice smooth draw once the leather backing of the holster and your belt squeeze the gun together. Once I'm holstered up, neither my gun nor my MTAC moves.

Oh yeah? What makes them better than Mitch Rosen, Milt Sparks, <insert another well received maker>... or the Comp-Tac, HBE, etc that have been listed here already?

List some factual reasons and comparisons, and not the usual biased statements that you keep tossing out. Genuinely interested in seeing this... as I'm also thinking about picking up a new holster.

:rofl:

I guess if you're serious about guns and the holsters you carry them in you know just how good they are. If you're just a passive user you'll be happy with anything you can pull from the rack at the local store.

Here is a link to the Brommeland website: http://brommelandgunleather.com/index.htm

• Administrator
I guess if you're serious about guns and the holsters you carry them in you know just how good they are. If you're just a passive user you'll be happy with anything you can pull from the rack at the local store.

Here is a link to the Brommeland website: http://brommelandgunleather.com/index.htm

I think I'm pretty serious about my gear. Hook me up with a nice Brommeland for my Glock 19 and I'll gladly field test it and post my thoughts. It will be going up against my VM2 for my 1911 and my MTAC for my Glock.

Guest Verbal Kint

Once again, I see you listed a plethora of reasons for your statement. Way to stay consistent. :rofl:

Serious about guns and holsters? You mean like carrying every day, in protection of my life? Going to the range at least twice a week. Making sure the guns are reliable as they can be, and my skill is as good as I can be. That kind of seriousness? If not... guess I'm just the passive user.

Yep... guessing my old Bulman's TSAP holster and Mitch Rosen 5JR Pres FD fall into that "off the shelf" category. Or was that simply a snide remark directed to those of us (large majority here) who own and use the Comp-Tac MTAC?

Like I said... list factual (or opinionated reasons, even) why you think the holsters you conveniently sell are better than the others. Otherwise you're just another salesman running his mouth.

• Administrator
I think I'm pretty serious about my gear. Hook me up with a nice Brommeland for my Glock 19 and I'll gladly field test it and post my thoughts. It will be going up against my VM2 for my 1911 and my MTAC for my Glock.

I'd consider an OWB holster for T&E also. I've been casually searching for a nice leather OWB for my Glock.

I'll make you a deal Tungsten, buy one for your G19, if we still have some in stock, and see for yourself and if it falls short you can always sell it and get your money back since they're in ultra high demand.

• Administrator
I'll make you a deal Tungsten, buy one for your G19, if we still have some in stock, and see for yourself and if it falls short you can always sell it and get your money back since they're in ultra high demand.

PM me a price on both an IWB and an OWB please. Right-hand carry. Thanks! :cool:

Once again, I see you listed a plethora of reasons for your statement. Way to stay consistent. :cool:

Serious about guns and holsters? You mean like carrying every day, in protection of my life? Going to the range at least twice a week. Making sure the guns are reliable as they can be, and my skill is as good as I can be. That kind of seriousness? If not... guess I'm just the passive user.

Yep... guessing my old Bulman's TSAP holster and Mitch Rosen 5JR Pres FD fall into that "off the shelf" category. Or was that simply a snide remark directed to those of us (large majority here) who own and use the Comp-Tac MTAC?

Like I said... list factual (or opinionated reasons, even) why you think the holsters you conveniently sell are better than the others. Otherwise you're just another salesman running his mouth.

Wow. Take a breath and look at some of the reviews on the website and then look at his reviews on some of the other gun boards. There is a reason he was running a two year back log on his holsters and a reason we get flooded with orders every single time we get a delivery from him.

Guest eyebedam

Well I sent comp-tax a email & it got a failure notice so I tried calling the number on the website it I get a disconnected tone. I had a general question. I Wonder what's up?