internet provider

gomer pyle

I'm running 2 media servers serving HD media and VPN service to friends stuck overseas, and average around 2.5tb of throughput a month. That test is with all that traffic in the background. ;) Comcast consumer would likely shut down your service if you hit the levels of throughput I've begun using since moving my previously co-located servers back to the house. The other thing you have to remember is that "speedboost" skews throughput stats on speed test.net since they slow after the first few hundred MB of the download. That's all aside from the top notch service.

According to the man I talked to today, Comcast is considering a company wide restructure where they would no longer take on new customers that are over a set number of feet off the road(I am 500ft off road and fall into this group). I wonder if it would be the same for business service?

I've been on satellite for years.  Prior to that I was on dialup.  Satellite beats dialup, and cable ain't getting any closer to my house.  Hughes advertises speeds that they can't always deliver, but I've been lucky.  Satellite internet is so complicated compared to running a cable from a pole to your house that it's no wonder there are more problems with satellite.

You won't be watching Netflix or playing on-line games with satellite internet, but you can get very usable speed.  I even have VoIP phone working with my Hughes system.  Satellite TV, satellite internet, satellite radio, satellite phone - it works in the boonies.  YMMV and probably will.

I have some sort of consumer grade service through Comcast. Not sure why your upload speed is twice that of mine.

3184265253.png

That can depend on a lot of things. namely if you're under an older plan perhaps. Also bear in mind I tested to DC as the OP did, you're hitting Nashville.

comcast told me tuesday that they will not run any new service more than 400ft off the road, so it looks like the best option i have is a wireless provider. i have my phone through verizon, so i plan to stay with them. i'm not tech "smart", so my question is, do i need there modem for another $20 a month or will using hotspot from my tablet work?

[quote name="gomer pyle" post="1085137" timestamp="1388196896"]comcast told me tuesday that they will not run any new service more than 400ft off the road, so it looks like the best option i have is a wireless provider. i have my phone through verizon, so i plan to stay with them. i'm not tech "smart", so my question is, do i need there modem for another $20 a month or will using hotspot from my tablet work?[/quote] The hotspot from your phone/tablet will do just fine. How far off the road are you? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD Edited by Dane
[quote name="gomer pyle" post="1085179" timestamp="1388199246"]550ft. i like there internet speed but comcast service and people skills suck so in a way i am relieved to not have to deal with them. i just hate the thought of no dead set bill.[/quote] Your bill will be set based on how many gigs you sign up for. The nice thing with Verizon is that if you are over/under at the end of the month you can change your plan accordingly. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Im building @1000 feet off the road and charter wanted a sh!tton of money to run that much cable - so i'm looking at either running 4g for the house or trying to run cable partially up my way and then microwave transmit the signal from a powered modem. Anyone else done this? Also for those using 4g, how is the speed if shared across several devices in the home?
[quote name="Hershmeister" post="1085290" timestamp="1388215372"]Im building @1000 feet off the road and charter wanted a sh!tton of money to run that much cable - so i'm looking at either running 4g for the house or trying to run cable partially up my way and then microwave transmit the signal from a powered modem. Anyone else done this? Also for those using 4g, how is the speed if shared across several devices in the home?[/quote] I've not had any speed problems, but we don't watch videos or download large files etc. 10 gig can go away pretty quick if your not careful. And charter wants a boatload of money because past 400ft or so the signal loss on cable is too great and requires more equipment. Pringles can antenna... http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-make-a-wifi-antenna-out-of-a-pringles-can-nb/ Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

In general, on Hughes satellite we can watch videos, but not movies during prime hours, because we have a 20 Gig/30 day allowance.  Between 2 and 8 am we get an bonus allotment of another 20 Gigs, so we try to schedule software upgrades and other large downloads during the night (easy to do on either Windows or Linux).  Towards the end of the cycle, if we have a lot of allowance left, we'll splurge on a Netflix movie.  You can either buy or rent the Hughes equipment, and there's a 2 year contract for new installations.  After the 2 years, it's month-to-month.  I think Hughes advertises 4G speeds, or up to 15 kbps down and up to 1000 kbps up. 

Note the words "up to".  YMMV.

A lot of people have trouble playing on-line games on Hughes, but that's largely because of the 50,000 mile round-trip of the signals.  Ping times are high compared to wired internet.  I'd imagine 4G has faster response also.

Standard installation is usually 'free' (included in the monthly bill), but you have to pay extra to have the dish mounted on a pole instead of on your roof.

Hughes has several plans -- the more you pay, the bigger your allowance, but speeds aren't improved much if at all.

If all else fails, you can live without the internet.  I've lived most of my life without it.  :D