internet provider

gomer pyle

edit: it looks like the best option i have is a wireless provider. i have my phone through verizon, so i plan to stay with them. i'm not tech "smart", so my question is, do i need there modem for another $20 a month or will using hotspot from my tablet work?

I am in the final stages of building a house. I had intended to get comcast internet but they keep jacking me around. ATT does not offer uverse in my area and there dsl is too high and to slow. My in-laws had wild blue and it sucked. What other options are out there that work good?

Edited by gomer pyle

Very happy with the switch to Comcast Business here. Couldn't get Comcast consumer to roll a truck after a tree took out our service connection for two weeks. I also had had an utterly terrible experience with Comcast consumer when I moved across town. Finally fed up, I signed a Comcast business contract and got a new end to end service line inside 48 hours and tip top service ever since. No more bandwidth caps and service is almost always 2x faster than the advertised rate for my service level.

Business service may not be for everyone but if you depend on internet at home for work/business it's certainly worth looking into.

There are no other options except driving down to McDonalds.

Well, there's 4G, but don't know if it's any good in your area.

Dialup, DSL, cable, satellite, fiber optic, 4G, McDonalds -- that's all there is to choose from. Edited by enfield
[quote name="vontar" post="1082738" timestamp="1387746761"]same.[/quote] X3 I like them quite well actually. Never had a single problem with them. Last year they gave me hbo for free for being a loyal "digital preferred" customer for so many years. That was a nice surprise. I figured it might just be for a few months or so but we still have it and arent getting charged for it so its permanent i guess. They also automatically upgrade your equipment from time to time when the equipment you have becomes outdated. They sent me a new wireless router a few months ago that helped my speeds out on our wireless wifi devices a ton. All in all couldnt be happier.
Comcast is a racket. Those people are criminals and imho should be facing jail time for all of the tax fraud, throttling of bandwidth to P2P services, superfluous charges and unnotified changes to your bill they've done of the years. I hate that company with every fiber of my being. As you can tell, I'm a customer. If I could get TDS in my neighborhood, I would instantly. Edited by NoBanStan
  • Like 1

I can't say I crazy about Comcast but there isn't anybody faster.  We are moving to an area that doesn't have anything but 3G or Sat and I'm not looking forward to either.  Both cost way more than what they are worth and have very low limits... I wish there was something else..

In my experience Comcast is quick to set up a new account, after our move this year we had service within 2 days of calling them and letting them know we were moving.  Then a couple of months ago I accidentally ran an auger through the cable, it took them 5 days to fix that, I was not happy.

I think I've had about every type of service ever put out: Fiber: by far the best EPB has the best customer service I've seen from an internet provider. Cable: 2nd only to fiber (Comcast is not that bad considering others) Satellite: not bad on a nice clear day but God help you if there is a cloud nearby. And expensive. Don't forget they cap your data too. Cellular: great speed but expensive for the amount of data you get. I'm on Verizon rit now and average 10gig a month without using any video. DSL: slow Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think I've had about every type of service ever put out: Fiber: by far the best EPB has the best customer service I've seen from an internet provider. Cable: 2nd only to fiber (Comcast is not that bad considering others) Satellite: not bad on a nice clear day but God help you if there is a cloud nearby. And expensive. Don't forget they cap your data too. Cellular: great speed but expensive for the amount of data you get. I'm on Verizon rit now and average 10gig a month without using any video. DSL: slow Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

How much are they charging for the internet? That's not available in my area, but I've heard a little about it.

[quote name="TripleDigitRide" post="1082852" timestamp="1387762919"]How much are they charging for the internet? That's not available in my area, but I've heard a little about it.[/quote] Which one? Fiber is running about $60/mo for 100 mbs Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have been trying to get comcast to get me a cost on new service for almost a month. Nobody calls me back and they give me the run around when i call them(if they answer). How much is the business service? This is just for normal use around the house.

Well business service starts at $70 a month and you have to sign a contract, often for 3 years. (much like a cellular carrier's) I signed up for 16/3 x 3yrs but can change speed if I need to any time with a phone call.

Speedwise it's not faster than my previous comcast technically but the speed I have is far more reliable. Also there is no bandwith cap

http://business.comcast.com/internet/business-internet/plans-pricing

3183261852.png

Well business service starts at $70 a month and you have to sign a contract, often for 3 years. (much like a cellular carrier's) I signed up for 16/3 x 3yrs but can change speed if I need to any time with a phone call.

Speedwise it's not faster than my previous comcast technically but the speed I have is far more reliable. Also there is no bandwith cap

3183261852.png

Thanks for this. Something to look into. . . .

I have been using Cricket Broad band for about the last year or so. I was on dial up and broad band was like a rocket ship speed wise. I have cricket phone Service and two broad band units on two different computers here at the house and my bill for all is $83.00 a month with no contracts. If you have Cricket Phone service in your area it might be something to look into. You get like 2048 bps per month of high speed and when you go over the service slows down but you can still use it at no extra charge. I have only went over 1 time in over a year and i am on line a lot..............jmho

Yeah, right now the only options I have are AT&T DSL (which is what I have) and Comcast.  I keep hoping FIOS or U-Verse will come to my area but so far nothing.  Comcast would be more expensive.  I have to admit, the Comcast Business option looks pretty good.  16/3 with no cap is way better than what I have now.

I just wanted to caution you in case you were possibly considering satellite.  Don't do it.  Satellite is a last resort.  They know they have you by the short and curlies when you sign up.  Service is horrible as is the customer service.  I had it for a while as it was my only option.  It was better than nothing but I'd get dial up (which was not an option where I was) before I would do satellite again.

had comcast for several years.  each year it got worst.  it got so bad if it rained and the wind got up we lost service to the tv and internet.  comcast standard answere was to send someone to my house.  they would come out look at the house and then state the problems was somewhere else.  then drive off and the cable and net would come back on.  well this game went on for several times and i got tired of the game with them.  so i dropped them like a hot rock for epb.  had epb for three years with no problems.  i know you can not get epb in your area, but i would look for something other than comcast.

I just wanted to caution you in case you were possibly considering satellite.  Don't do it.  Satellite is a last resort.  They know they have you by the short and curlies when you sign up.  Service is horrible as is the customer service.  I had it for a while as it was my only option.  It was better than nothing but I'd get dial up (which was not an option where I was) before I would do satellite again.

Especially if it's Hughes..... ugh....

3183261852.png

Did they provide you with a static IP as part of that?

My consumer grade is $50 a month

3184252549.png

***Edit*** Technically I have a 25mb plan but 20 is about the best i can pull.

Edited by NoBanStan