New addition to the collection

RC3

Who's the manufacturer?

Thats the thing. I do not know. Bought if off a friend that had a gunsmith build it for him from the ground up. And after a year, my friend never fired it, so I made him an offer on it. It fires REALLY well. I just dont know what to add to it to make it better than it already is.

Sweet!!  I'm on my second AK and love them.  Really wanting to get one of the Vepr models to make it a trifecta.

This is my first AK. Might just pick up another one over getting another AR. Then again, at this rate, I'll never have my G3

Oh, I heard that the steel mags are the best ones for it, but anyone here ever used a promag with it? I have one, and it jammed a few rounds and on the second time, it worked just fine. I found a few mags for a good price, but they are all promags and I wanted get some advice.

[quote name="RC3" post="1082328" timestamp="1387664825"]Oh, I heard that the steel mags are the best ones for it, but anyone here ever used a promag with it? I have one, and it jammed a few rounds and on the second time, it worked just fine. I found a few mags for a good price, but they are all promags and I wanted get some advice.[/quote]I dont care for pro mags. I do have some plastic tapco ak mags that I love. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

Ah, a custom build. It was probably built off a Bulgarian kit. Here are some indicators on the country of origin; on the left side of the front trunnion should be a 10 or 21 inside a circle, that's a Bulgarian marking. A Romanian will have a Triangle with a pointing arrow inside it, Russian will have a arrow with fletching inside either a star or triangle, and Chinese will, well they're kinda obvious with the Calligraphy writing. There's all sorts of em and this will provide more data.

http://www.ak-47.net/markingsindex.php

Oh, I heard that the steel mags are the best ones for it, but anyone here ever used a promag with it? I have one, and it jammed a few rounds and on the second time, it worked just fine. I found a few mags for a good price, but they are all promags and I wanted get some advice.

Treat those like a sore wienie, don't touch em, lol. Anything BUT Promags should work okay at the range but for something like a JIC or SHTF kit, go with mil-surplus ONLY. The way I see it, if I NEED to depend on a weapon system with my life, I need to know it WILL work. This is just my opinion mind you, take it as you will. If you get bakelite or polymer mags that are foreign, check to make sure they have steel feedlips. The Polish ones that AIM has aren't steel reinforced but would make AWESOME range mags, I just wouldn't throw them in my go pack or do serious training with them.

Edited by whitewolf001
Does the receiver have any markings on it? As far as mags go, the military mags are the way to go - east german mags are orange bakelite, bulgarian mags are black, and various shades of brown, russian mags are plum, an there are "sanitized" soviet mags that are painted black and have the markings removed. Lastly there are polish tantal metal mags as well as synthetic mags. Don't skimp, and dont buy the CDNN bulgarian mags that are $15 - they are NOT military mags even though they advertise them as such I have a few used russian plum mags if you need some -pm me if interested

Ah, a custom build. It was probably built off a Bulgarian kit. Here are some indicators on the country of origin; on the left side of the front trunnion should be a 10 or 21 inside a circle, that's a Bulgarian marking. A Romanian will have a Triangle with a pointing arrow inside it, Russian will have a arrow with fletching inside either a star or triangle, and Chinese will, well they're kinda obvious with the Calligraphy writing. There's all sorts of em and this will provide more data.

http://www.ak-47.net/markingsindex.php

Ah, I'll check as soon as I get off work, but I dont recall seeing any of those engravings. I think he had his own press.

Treat those like a sore wienie, don't touch em, lol.

Yeah, I give my dog plenty of space if hes angry. But where is a good place I should look for mags then? 1080 rounds and only one mag just isnt going to cut it.

Does the receiver have any markings on it? As far as mags go, the military mags are the way to go - east german mags are orange bakelite, bulgarian mags are black, and various shades of brown, russian mags are plum, an there are "sanitized" soviet mags that are painted black and have the markings removed. Lastly there are polish tantal metal mags as well as synthetic mags. Don't skimp, and dont buy the CDNN bulgarian mags that are $15 - they are NOT military mags even though they advertise them as such I have a few used russian plum mags if you need some -pm me if interested

THIS^^^ When I had my two 74's I had about 12 Russian Plums I got when they were on sale at AIM for $19.99.

I was looking along the lines of sights. And another ammo can wouldnt hurt either. If only 5.56 was $200 for a can of 1000 rounds.

Those were the good ol days, last time I got a deal like that was for 1000 rounds of SS109 Lake City for $235 at Knob Creek about 2-3 years ago.

Edited by whitewolf001
[quote name="whitewolf001" post="1082340" timestamp="1387665760"]These are what Hershmeister is talking about. [url="http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MAK74R30PLUM&name=Russian+AK74+30rd+Rifle+Magazine+5.45x39cal+Plum&groupid=15"]http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MAK74R30PLUM&name=Russian+AK74+30rd+Rifle+Magazine+5.45x39cal+Plum&groupid=15[/url][/quote] Wow thats an amazing price - How long ago was this deal?