Free Speech In America - 2013 Edition

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/12/20/tech-companies-cite-worrying-increase-in-govt-spying/?intcmp=features

Pay close attention to the graph presented with this piece.  The vast majority of reasons given by goverment agencies for information requests (warrants) to Google alone fall under the heading of "Defamation" as illustrated in their latest "Transparency Report".

A quote from Google.....

“Judges have asked us to remove information that’s critical of them, police departments want us to take down videos or blogs that shine a light on their conduct, and local institutions like town councils don’t want people to be able to find information about their decision-making processes,” wrote Susan Infantinoexternal-link.png, Google’s legal director. “These officials often cite defamation, privacy and even copyright laws in attempts to remove political speech from our services.”

http://www.google.com/transparencyreport/removals/government/?hl=en

Edited by Garufa

I really don't care either way about their spying game. Snowden did what he did because he was tired of being a snoop and thought folks should know it. Evidently the Federal courts feel the same way.  If it gives them pleasure fine. I don't have anything to hide and if I did I would not put it on a website, email, Text message, or talk about it on a phone. Wouldn't even put it in a snail mail letter. If I have something to say I will say it face to face to that person if it's that much of a secret.............jmho

I really don't care either way about their spying game. Snowden did what he did because he was tired of being a snoop and thought folks should know it. Evidently the Federal courts feel the same way.  If it gives them pleasure fine. I don't have anything to hide and if I did I would not put it on a website, email, Text message, or talk about it on a phone. Wouldn't even put it in a snail mail letter. If I have something to say I will say it face to face to that person if it's that much of a secret.............jmho

I have nothing to hide either. What I do have, however, is a Constitution I live under. I expect the Government to abide by it even at those times when I don't need a particular protection it provides. We can either demand the Constitution be upheld at all times or we can lose all the protections it provides, the Government cannot be allowed to pick and choose.

• Admin Team

I really don't care either way about their spying game. Snowden did what he did because he was tired of being a snoop and thought folks should know it. Evidently the Federal courts feel the same way. If it gives them pleasure fine. I don't have anything to hide and if I did I would not put it on a website, email, Text message, or talk about it on a phone. Wouldn't even put it in a snail mail letter. If I have something to say I will say it face to face to that person if it's that much of a secret.............jmho

You're a "southern white radical" who's an active member of a fringe hate group that whose members regularly traffic weapons. I mean have you seen how those people talk about gays?

You may truly have nothing to hide, but you have plenty to fear when decisions about your freedom and in some cases your very existence can be targeted by an algorithm or bureaucrat with a particular worldview.
  • Like 7
Guest TNSovereignty

You may truly have nothing to hide, but you have plenty to fear when decisions about your freedom and in some cases your very existence can be targeted by an algorithm or bureaucrat with a particular worldview.

So true.  I'm particularly concerned about the 'algorithm' aspect.  No telling the degree that software is used to sift out the likes of TGO contributors ... our MidwayUSA & Brownell orders, coupled with the fringe books we purchase from Amazon, lashed together with membership in the NRA, our voting record, and our magazine subscriptions.  Good reason for me to review the lessons in the book, "One Nation Under Surveillance" ... bought w/ cash & untraceable (until I just posted it here.)