Capitol View Pawn and Bargain
1122 Charlotte Ave
Nashville, TN 37203
email: Click here to email me
phone: 615-242-7296
fax: 615-242-7297

Hours: 8:00am-5:00pm Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm Sat, Closed Sun
Transfer fee: $10.00 all guns, plus $10.00 TICS, plus 9.25% sales tax[/CODE]

Has anyone every used these people for a transfer?

Good experience?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sales tax on a transfer? I thought that was in the price when you bought the firearm.

On most transfers, the FFL never knows what was paid, would make it hard for them to collect sales tax. However, I think the Department of Revenue looks at it like the sale isn't made until you have TICS approval. Since that only occurs when you complete the 4473, that's when the sale is made, and since it's made in TN, they look at it as a taxable transaction.

On most transfers, the FFL never knows what was paid, would make it hard for them to collect sales tax. However, I think the Department of Revenue looks at it like the sale isn't made until you have TICS approval. Since that only occurs when you complete the 4473, that's when the sale is made, and since it's made in TN, they look at it as a taxable transaction.

But how can they tax you on something they aren't SELLING to you - because to need the FFL *transfer* - that means they are facilitating the transfer from one OWNER to the new OWNER (you).

Basically - the way I see it - you can't have it both ways.

If they are gonna charge me sales tax, then they need to go ahead and buy it and then sell it to me.

This has been hashed numerous times. You (the buyer) are responsible for the tax. There is a form you are supposed to fill out and sen in the tax. The dealer is not requested nor required to collect the tax. I would be willing to bet they don't turn in that money anyhow. BTW, this tax is for anything bought online.

actually, as a dealer were responsible for the tax. Unless the customer offers to pay the tax, then we give them the form... and have them sign a waiver that they are paying the tax. Honestly, its just another BS way for the Govt to get your money.

Btw... you buy anything on ebay your supposed to volunterly pay the tax too... but they cant trace that like they can a gun.

You may be surprised to hear what TDR thinks about the matter. (See above, re: when/where is it a sale?) We're talking about gummit here, no need to bring logic into the discussion. Personally--I don't see how it can be a taxable sale, given that all the facts aren't known, price, etc. What I think doesn't mean anything though, and I know that TDR views transfers as a sale.

If there were no dealer involved, it would be a use taxable transaction. However there is a dealer involved, doing the TICS check. A dealer giving a transfer customer an RV-2038 form and getting a signature on a disclaimer isn't worth the paper it's written on IMO.

None of this proves anything really. If it were my business, I'd spend the 200 clams and get a letter ruling on the matter, and then know for 100% certain.

Guest eyebedam

Cant really call this 1 a hijack. The topic has evolved from the posting of the places requirment for a transfer IE collection of sales tax. I've never used that place before. I've never even heard of them. BTW. Don't go swimmin with bow legged women.

Guest abailey362

Never used them, but seems like the tax would put the price higher than a higher, more normal ffl fee without tax.....unless you transfer in a lot of jennings and hi-points

Maybe they only mean tax on the charges, not the gun price? (10 for fee, 10 for tics)

I can understand collecting tax on the charges.

One other question.... is there a way to get around them knowing how much you paid for the gun? The gun purchase is between you (the buyer) and someone far away (the seller) with the FFL just processing your receipt of the gun. They don't need to know anything else to process the transfer, right? You could tell them you bought that Barrett .50 for $3 from a friend in AZ, and as long as the shipper doesn't put a receipt or something referring to value in there, they wouldn't have a clue. Am I right in that thinking?

Maybe they only mean tax on the charges, not the gun price? (10 for fee, 10 for tics)

I can understand collecting tax on the charges.

One other question.... is there a way to get around them knowing how much you paid for the gun? The gun purchase is between you (the buyer) and someone far away (the seller) with the FFL just processing your receipt of the gun. They don't need to know anything else to process the transfer, right? You could tell them you bought that Barrett .50 for $3 from a friend in AZ, and as long as the shipper doesn't put a receipt or something referring to value in there, they wouldn't have a clue. Am I right in that thinking?

I dont know if there is a fool proof way to keep the dealer from knowing what you paid, but I totally agree with you; it's none of the receiving FFL's business what you paid for the gun or if you paid anything at all.

When I receive guns in on transfer, I dont care what they paid for it.

When I transfer guns to other FFLs for my buyers, I will put my FFL in the box for them, and the invoice/receipt in a SEALED envelope for the buyer, with their name on the envelope in hopes that the dealer will respect the privacy of the transferee and not open it.

You will have no problems with them,I know owner,and if they

collect tax they turn it in. Do not go after 3 PM weekdays as

State Of TN lets out there and it is traffic nightmare. They

have a list of certain weekends they will not run TICS if

big gunshow is nearby and they have trouble getting through.

Do not go without knowing how to drive right to it,if you

miss it by one block(Chevy Chase in Vacation pulling into

E ST Louis) you may not like it.

• 2 years later...
Guest Runnfree
Sales tax on a transfer? I thought that was in the price when you bought the firearm.

The 9.25% sales tax that we charge is only on the $10 transfer fee, (for a total of $10.93 per firearm), NOT the price of the firearm. Also note that there is no sales tax on the $10 TICS fee.

I hope that clears the issue up for you all.

Gayle, Manager

Capitol View Pawn

AND, getting back on topic.

I HAVE used them for a transfer. They were business-like and careful about their record-keeping. Since they are primarily a pawn shop, they can be slow to answer the phone. Kind of like a lot of other places we know. If you happen to be in that part of town from time to time, they would be a real bargain for your transfers. Coming from out of town, the price of fuel might make them less appealing.

Where was this at? There's a guy out in Lebanon that only charges $15 total. He's received one for me and will probably get another one for me this week.

Last time I transferred a gun they charged me the fee, TICS, and tax (on the fees transfer and TICS). Not on the purchase price of the gun. They had no idea what I paid for it. This was not at the above mentioned FFL.
There's a guy out in Lebanon that only charges $15 total. He's received one for me and will probably get another one for me this week.

Who is that? I'm near Lebanon and am looking for an inexpensive transfer.