The pitfall of renting!!!

bersaguy

Well, my life may be turned over in a few months. I survived the sale of this place I live in through the last sale because I knew the buyer and his wife and my rent remained the same. I still have  about 4 months left on my lease and the place is about to sell again. The man that bought the place in 2007 passed away about 5 months ago and his wife didn't warn anyone but signs went up in front yards before he was in the ground and cold. She is also selling a great big fine home that they lived in and she is moving into their winter home in Florida and selling everything up here. She has more than enough to live far more than very comfortable and I kind of expected it when her husband passed away. If the trend follows true to form soon as our leases run out here we all in the triplex will face rent increases. If mine goes up I will be forced to move because I am paying the max I can afford and keep all my other utilities paid and buy food. Social Security checks only goes so far. Going to begin looking around to see what is available just in case. Please wish me luck........... :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Many years ago, right after I got out of the Navy, my wife and I rented a nice little house in our hometown...the owner only wanted to do a six month lease, although she assured us she would renew it or at least give us plenty of warning if she wasn't going to. As things happened to work out, the lease was up at the end of December that year and guess what...about the 15th of December she finally told us she wasn't renewing the lease and she expected us to be out of the house by the 31st. In other words, the little bitch lead us on...she was afraid that if we knew she wasn't going to renew the lease that we would check out before she was "ready".

Well...we spent that "Christmas" looking for a place we could rent an more into in less than two weeks.

Three was some poetic justice however...that was a VERY cold December that year (this was in Ohio by the way) and we took the utilities out of our name effective the day after we moved out which was prior to the 31st...the landlady knew we had moved out. However, it seems this landlady didn't bother to put the utilities back into her name quickly enough so electric and gas actually got physically turned off...for those who have lived where winters actually get cold you know what can happen to water pipes in an unheated house in December/January. ;) Needless to say this lady wasn't very happy but it was ultimately her fault and her problem...I didn't feel sorry for her for some reason!

Anyway...I hope it works out for you and that you either get to stay where you are or that you find a great place that you can afford!

Edited by RobertNashville

On the bright side, the new landlord may rather retain the existing occupants rather than have to search for new ones and have vacant properties after a rate increase. Never rule out negotiating with them either.

I own rental property Bersaguy and although  am no pushover I have made my share of exceptions over the years. Hope it works out ok for you. It is very hard to find good renters sometimes so I am sure they would much rather retain you than take their chances on someone who may not pay or who might damage their property. You already have a good history in this property so you have that going for you.

Edited by McGarrett
  • Like 2

Well, I am going to wait and see what the new owners do because I do have an option that I have had for 11 years but just was not one I wanted. Actually I have two options so I won't be homeless. My son in law and daughter live in Alexandria and they have a father in law house behind their house that I can move into but will take some time to actually get it ready. I could also move into the big house with them.(YUK) So I won't be homeless but didn't want to live 45 minutes from nearest Walmart and you know when your that far from a Walmart you are about in the wilderness and near nothing. Can't work on back house in winter so hoping I can last out here til at least warm weather so we can fix the house up some before I have to move. When you have lived someplace 15 years as I have here to me this is home. When I moved in here I move in two pick up trucks and one trip. This move will require the biggest truck uhaul has and it still may have to make two trips. Sure can accumulate a lot of junk in 15 years. Might have one big yard sale before moving and just put price tags on what I want to sell in the house and let people shop in the house and move whats left. Don;t need all this stuff no way. Don't use half of it any more. Just hate moving away from all my friends I have here. Oh well, I guess only time will tell huh?

Having been landlord over a number of properties, there's more for your new landlord to consider than just having to break in a new tenant. It's likely he's going to have to drop some cash into the place after you move out in addition to having it empty for a while. So, you might be in a position to work with him. If he sees that you've taken care of the place, paid your rent on time and can keep status quo, he may work with you on staying. That's what I'd do if financially possible. Good luck.

• Like 2

Having been landlord over a number of properties, there's more for your new landlord to consider than just having to break in a new tenant. It's likely he's going to have to drop some cash into the place after you move out in addition to having it empty for a while. So, you might be in a position to work with him. If he sees that you've taken care of the place, paid your rent on time and can keep status quo, he may work with you on staying. That's what I'd do if financially possible. Good luck.

Oh I plan on waiting to see what the offer is from the new owner/owners before making any offers. I have been living here 15 years this April. I have paid my rent on or before the 5th of every month. Since moving in I have had a built in dishwasher installed at my own expense because I got tired of washing dishes. I had to fix the faucet washers to save the land lord on the water bill till I got tired of changing them so I put brand new Washer-less faucets in kitchen and bathroom on my dime, I had new carpeting put down in living room on my own dime. I had all new sensor lighting put out side on my dime.  I cut all the grass around all the property all summer on my dime. They gave me $25.00 to buy gas 1 time and it takes that just two cuttings to use that up. so yea, I think I have done my part to upkeep the place so I will wait and see what they offer before making any moves in any directions...................... :up:

it might work out with the new owners.  but i would have a backup plan that i could do fast.  i would start now looking for a new place just in case that you can not work out a deal with the new owner.  that way you don't get boxed in.  moving is not fun, but moving is a way to clean out the junk that you don't throw away.

Definitely. Good renters are worth their weight in gold (If you're a decent landlord).

Edited by tnguy
  • Like 1

Hopefully it will work out for you.  I've thought about buying a new home the past couple of years but I really don't want to go through the trouble of moving.  I moved so many times early in my life (military and then work) that I almost had it down to a science but it's still a pain and one I don't really want to go through again.

I think the next time I move it will either be to a houseboat or a large RV in which I'll live out my remaining years (with the added benefit that such would require me to get rid of a lot of STUFF that I don't really need or in many cases, even care about any more)!

It will work out, buddy. Besides you can shoot deer from your couch at your daughters, and that's not too bad.

Well that could be a plus but I would probably wind up feeding the deer rather than shooting them. I quit hunting in 1990 but I could shoot one if it became necessary as a food source. Thing about shooting a deer is finding a god deer processor these days. I have had guys offer me a deer several times but cannot find anyone doing processing any more so ad to turn them down. I use to love living in the country and could probably adjust to it again quit easily in Father in law house behind my daughters house well enough. Only would be responsible for utilities, no rent. Would need to build a garage or at least inclosed carport for Skeeter bass Boat. It has never been stored out doors................... :up:

Hopefully it will work out for you.  I've thought about buying a new home the past couple of years but I really don't want to go through the trouble of moving.  I moved so many times early in my life (military and then work) that I almost had it down to a science but it's still a pain and one I don't really want to go through again.

I think the next time I move it will either be to a houseboat or a large RV in which I'll live out my remaining years (with the added benefit that such would require me to get rid of a lot of STUFF that I don't really need or in many cases, even care about any more)!

I know what you mean about moving a lot in our younger years. I moved often when I was young. I did do one thing this time if I have to move. I called a company called ALL MY SONS MOVING and they sent a guy out to give me a quote. They will come and pack me up and move me and place all furniture where I want it in new place for $900.00 which I though was reasonable so if I do have to move they will be doing it.

I know what you mean about moving a lot in our younger years. I moved often when I was young. I did do one thing this time if I have to move. I called a company called ALL MY SONS MOVING and they sent a guy out to give me a quote. They will come and pack me up and move me and place all furniture where I want it in new place for $900.00 which I though was reasonable so if I do have to move they will be doing it.

I used "All My Son's" when I moved to my current house...they are great people.

When I moved to Tennessee (gosh...over 17 years ago now) I packed everything myself then hired "2 Men And A Truck" to load the biggest U-Haul truck they offered...drove it to Tennessee and had the local "2 Men And A Truck" unload me!

Edited by RobertNashville