Kel-Tec pf-9

Guest bazookazilla

Guest bazookazilla

I just got a new Kel Tec pistol a couple of hours ago. Does anyone have much experience with differen t tyoes of ammunition through a pf-9. I bought 2 boxes of 124 grain Golden Sabers. I haven't the chance to shoot it yet, but will report back when I have.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PF-9's do not usually injest 124 grain ammo that well. There have been problems feeding and ejecting the heavier rounds. 115 grain or 102 grain often fit the bill better.

The gun may need some break in as in 200 rounds or so. Fluff and buff is a common expression used with Kel Tecs due to the fact that YOU play a big part in recoil of the gun. You must not limp wrist and you must hold on tight.

I guess I need to do my homework on 9mm cartridges a little better. I was thinking the 124 gr was a small one.

It's sorta the middle ground.

147 gr. generally about the heaviest.

My Kahr likes all 124 gr. that I've tried just fine. And I'm carrying the Golden Sabers also, in +p.

Only shot one brand of 147gr. in it, but that was fine too.

- OS

When I had mine it feed everything fine. I will say it does need to be broken in before you know it will be reliable. 500 rnds or so should work out all the kinks. Kel-tecs can also be hit and miss on reliability sometimes and that many rounds will tell you. If it doesn't work as expected, send it back and KT and they will get it going and returned to you quickly and cheaply. Best customer service in the buisness.

:D Fire 200 rounds threw it and then give it a fluff and buff. Alot of the parts on all the kel-tecs I have owned have all had to be polished. After a good trigger job the gun will shot anything you put threw it. Mine has had every kind of ammo threw it and only choked ounce, which was my error.
Guest bazookazilla

still have not gotten to shoot yet. My handgun is an anniversary present from my wife and she says I am not allowed to play with my new toys until our anniversary. Next Saturday should be my first chance to shoot to new sidearm. I will post results as soon as I am able. I will probably shoot mostly range ammo(reloaded) and some of my Golden Saber to see how they cycle. Thanks for all of your responses/tips.

Guest bazookazilla
:D Fire 200 rounds threw it and then give it a fluff and buff. Alot of the parts on all the kel-tecs I have owned have all had to be polished. After a good trigger job the gun will shot anything you put threw it. Mine has had every kind of ammo threw it and only choked ounce, which was my error.

Where would I have trigger job done and (sorry to argue, but...) how would a trigger job help the gun to cycle different ammo? Please pardon my ignorance but I always thought that just made the trigger lighter/smoother.

Guest bazookazilla
It's sorta the middle ground.

147 gr. generally about the heaviest.

My Kahr likes all 124 gr. that I've tried just fine. And I'm carrying the Golden Sabers also, in +p.

Only shot one brand of 147gr. in it, but that was fine too.

- OS

Is the recoil with the +p rounds significantly more unpleasant?

Is the recoil with the +p rounds significantly more unpleasant?

Oh, maybe 10% more jolt.

Not unpleasant at all through Kahr PM9 to me.

But I keep reading that ALL 9mm will wear on you with the Kel-Tec after a few mags' worth. You'll just have to see how it is for you, I've never shot one.

- OS

Guest bazookazilla

I finally got to shoot Friday night. The gun shot well. I shot about 200 rounds through without any failures of any sort. I really thought firing the pistol was going to be unpleasant but it wasn't. The recoil was definitely there, but less than I had expected. The trigger isn't spectacular, but I am used to shooting SAO, so maybe with a little practice I can get a little more used to that. Accuracy was good at 15 feet, especially after about 100 shots for me to get more used to the trigger. My hand did start to hurt after about 150 rounds between my thumb and index finger, but it wasn't bad enough to stop me from shooting another 50 rounds. The only problem I had was that the slide would not lock back on an empty chamber. After a dozen or so magazines it would lock back occaisionally, but not with any kind of consistency. Any pointers on how to remedy this problem would be appreciated.

I finally got to shoot Friday night. The gun shot well. I shot about 200 rounds through without any failures of any sort. I really thought firing the pistol was going to be unpleasant but it wasn't. The recoil was definitely there, but less than I had expected. The trigger isn't spectacular, but I am used to shooting SAO, so maybe with a little practice I can get a little more used to that. Accuracy was good at 15 feet, especially after about 100 shots for me to get more used to the trigger. My hand did start to hurt after about 150 rounds between my thumb and index finger, but it wasn't bad enough to stop me from shooting another 50 rounds. The only problem I had was that the slide would not lock back on an empty chamber. After a dozen or so magazines it would lock back occaisionally, but not with any kind of consistency. Any pointers on how to remedy this problem would be appreciated.

Had similar issue and discovered it was mostly due to fatigue in my grip towards the end of my range sessions. I usually never had an issue until I got tired.

Guest bazookazilla

No, as of yet I only have the one magazine that came with the pistol. I will probably try to get another magazine when I get a chance. Has anybody tried the trigger "wideners"? I forget what they actually call them.

No, as of yet I only have the one magazine that came with the pistol. I will probably try to get another magazine when I get a chance. Has anybody tried the trigger "wideners"? I forget what they actually call them.

Trigger Shoe. Yes they work very well. I did find that you need a little glue or locktite in conjunction with the set screw to hold in place.

Kel Tec just released a new hammer block that stops a condition called "short stroking" which occurs when you don't let the trigger go all the way forward after a shot and then pull it back to shoot again. In the older guns, the hammer would fall off the block and cause a light hit on the primer but not enough to fire the round. You would have to work the slide to get the gun going again.

The new hammer block dis-allows this from happening. The trigger just goes back to stop and does not release the hammer. You then let it go fully forward (like should have been done in the first place) and you are back in business.

When I installed my trigger shoe, I took a small drill bit and with an Exacto hand dill holder, drilled two shallow holes in the side of the trigger where the screws made contact. This secured the shoe many times better than just tightening the screws down.

Guest bazookazilla

I spoke with KEl Tec and they are sending me a new follower. If that dosn't work then I will have to send the gun back to them for a repair with a 5-6 week turnaround. I hope that isn't necessary.

I spoke with KEl Tec and they are sending me a new follower. If that dosn't work then I will have to send the gun back to them for a repair with a 5-6 week turnaround. I hope that isn't necessary.

Usually they under promise and over perform. Most I've heard from say that a 5-6 week quote is usually less than 2 weeks.:D

Guest bazookazilla
Usually they under promise and over perform. Most I've heard from say that a 5-6 week quote is usually less than 2 weeks.:stick:

I certainly hope that you are correct. I have already gotten entirely too accustomed to carrying this little pistol with me just about everywhere I go.

Guest bazookazilla

I got my new follower yesterday. You can see where the old one is a little bit worn. I just hope 200 rounds is not enough to wear out a follower. I will test on Monday.

Guest bazookazilla

Went to the range today. I shot about 120 rounds through the pf9 and only had the slide lock back on an empty mag once. Looks like the pistol will be going back to Kel Tec. I noticed today that is much louder and has substantially more recoil than my 1911(.45).