Is spelling and punctuation a thing of the past?

Guest TankerHC

Speaking of using cursive. Shelby Foote wrote all three volumes of his Civil War: A Narrative, in cursive, a page a day until they were finished. Thats some serious handwriting, I own the set and thats a lot of handwriting. I know his editors were on his a double s because he wouldnt use a typewriter and get it done. 

I have never texted and I have my cell phone set to not send or receive them. I only use it for talking and then only when absolutely needed, mostly for work, and outgoing calls at that. 

I do email but mainly just for work and only at my desktop computer at my office. I'm just not that into being that connected all the time. I long for a simple life most of the time anyway.

• Like 1

I think you can go ahead and say that the education system as a whole is not what it once was.  If you can find them, read some textbooks from the 40's and 50's and compare to today's textbooks.  I think in general you will find today's higher level high school books are the 40's and 50's elementary textbooks.

I would say that it is a combination of things like need the kids to score better so my evaluation is good and we don't want to hurt their self-esteem by allowing them to score low grades as to why the books have been dumbed down.

That being said, I know I'm not an English genius but I do try to use correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation where I can.

Edited by hardknox00001

"Is spelling and punctuation a thing of the past?"

It should read, "Are spelling and punctuation things of the past?" Sorry, couldn't resist given the title and content of the thread.  :wave:  :slapfight:

I was going to say the same thing after I realized I fell into the trap on my earlier post. Gonna leave it that way for irony's sake.

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too. Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno’t mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghi t pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it.

Had an email a while back with this in it and seemed appropriate for the thread.

Still doesn't excuse our dumbing down of society.

• Like 2
Even more concerning IMO is the lack of basic arithmetic. I was at subway today grabbing some lunch about the same time schools let out. The kid in line behind me was trying to buy a soda. The guy at the counted gave her the total ($1.95) and she handed him 3 $1.00 bills and started walking away. He told her to hang on and she looked shocked when he handed her the extra dollar back with the change.

Grammar is important. Mathematics are absolutely crucial.
Im 25 and im surprised that some people my age have managed to survive this long outside of a padded room. Between lack of common sense, common courtesy, knowing the basic English language and speaking it, basic reading, writing, and arithmetic skills, and common sense, I truly have no hope for mine or any future generations.

Back when I was in the 5th grade I had a teacher named Donald Bruce. He was very tough one to deal with when it came to penmanship. If he had any difficulty reading a book report you wrote you rewrote it over and over till he could read it with some ease. He said that the three most important studies you will use your entire life was reading, writing and arithmetic and man did he pound on them.

Everyday 1 hour was spent just writing a copy of pages from our history books. By writing out of the history books we were taught history and good penmanship at the same time. I thought we would get a reprieve from him when we moved on to the 6th grade. Nope, the school moved him up one grade level upon his request and we all had him for a second year and it was the same type of teaching. By the time were left his class in the 6th grade we all had very good penmanship. Knew U.S. History and World History and all were very good in math. To this day I appreciate that mans efforts to educate his students on the important things we all would use all of our lives. I still to this day have good penmanship and when ever I write a check or sign a paper I get compliments on how nice my writing and penmanship and signature is. I also never get short changed when I buy something and wait on my change. I find it amusing when a person is operating a cash register that does not put a return change reading up for the cashier and they have this blank look on their face when trying to figure out how much change to give back. I normally end up telling them so they don't look stupid to other people in line. Older cashiers don't have that problem because they know how to count backwards when making change but young people don't.

As far as education today. Many kids come out of school less smarter than when they went in. Many of them have forgotten the common sense things taught to them by their parents before beginning school....................jmho

Guest Keal G Seo

Texting was the problem. It ruined a lot of people's ability to spell and use punctuation. By limiting texts to 140 characters, pre-smart phones and unlimited messaging plans, you had to find ways to fit an entire message. Too much of this and people took that shorthand as acceptable. Twitter is only furthering this problem.

"LOL" is the one that gets me.  Those have to be the 3 most over used letters ever.  And while I could see that the term "lol" has its place I see it used inappropriately more often than not.  I even see it here on TGO, though not as often as I do in the mainstream.  There is no need to place "lol" after the title of your thread if that thread was not even remotely funny, nor intended to be.  Checked out Craigslist lately?  More of the same, lol this and lol that, and not a damned funny thing in the whole post.  I'd be okay if I never saw the term again.

"LOL" is the one that gets me.  Those have to be the 3 most over used letters ever.  And while I could see that the term "lol" has its place I see it used inappropriately more often than not.  I even see it here on TGO, though not as often as I do in the mainstream.  There is no need to place "lol" after the title of your thread if that thread was not even remotely funny, nor intended to be.  Checked out Craigslist lately?  More of the same, lol this and lol that, and not a damned funny thing in the whole post.  I'd be okay if I never saw the term again.

Lol!
  • Like 3
Guest Lester Weevils

... and brake/break, affect/effect, they're/their/there, your/you're, who's/whose, ....

There are limits to the magical powers of spell check!