Civilian authorized weapons

Shima

I'm a HCP holder and carry a firearm on my person at all times, but I'm curious about what other methods of weapons are legal for self defense besides pepper spray/mace or tazers. What about these monkey fist keychains? What about nunchucks? What about blackjacks, clubs, or batons? How about it guys?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No kidding? You don't say? Yes, I realize that, but I was asking what weapons are legal to carry without any type of permit. I don't mean what can be carried with a HCP. Obviously, Handgun Carry Permit only applies to handguns. I'm curious about this for those people who do not have a HCP. Yes, I know, they should get one if possible. As I said before, I have a HCP and carry a firearm or 2, so I need nothing else. No clubs, mace, or tazers for me, just more ammo.

Edited by Shima

I had heard at one time you could get a permit to carry an "Impact" weapon.

Meaning a stick, blackjack, etc. Seems like you just had to get the training on it.

You might want to do a search on the boards here. I want to say this was talked about before and there are some guys on here that offered the training of they coudl get enough people for a class.

I had heard at one time you could get a permit to carry an "Impact" weapon.

Meaning a stick, blackjack, etc. Seems like you just had to get the training on it.

You might want to do a search on the boards here. I want to say this was talked about before and there are some guys on here that offered the training of they coudl get enough people for a class.

I believe ASP (sp?) in Joelton offers baton classes. I believe they are more leaned toward LE and Security guards... however i think just about anyone can take them if they want.

Had a buddy ask this and John Harris the TFA Lawyer was with us and according to

him.

Taser(any version) legal for anyone

Impact -You have to go get certified and carry State Card

Brass Knuckles,blackjacks&slappers-No

Mace OK

This is for TN only

Guest Revelator

In addition to the carrying of firearms, TCA 39-17-1307 prohibits carrying a knife with a blade length more than four inches, and a club. A club is defined as "any instrument that is specially designed, made or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument." No other weapons are mentioned. But if you happen to be on school property or in a courtroom it gets a lot more restrictive. The list of prohibited items include knuckles, blackjacks, leaded canes, slingshots and many more. Jeez, c'mon. If I can't carry my leaded cane to a U of M football game what's the point?

Edit: -1302 also prohibits possession of a switchblade or knuckles as well as "any other implement for infliction of serious bodily injury or death that has no commonn lawful purpose," which could include a lot of things.

Edited by P. Stegall

Edit: -1302 also prohibits possession of a switchblade or knuckles as well as "any other implement for infliction of serious bodily injury or death that has no common lawful purpose," which could include a lot of things.

Soooo... I guess that brings this thread back to the "Hell's Angels" and Ball- Peen Hammers. :D

Had a buddy ask this and John Harris the TFA Lawyer was with us and according to

him.

Taser(any version) legal for anyone

Impact -You have to go get certified and carry State Card

Brass Knuckles,blackjacks&slappers-No

Mace OK

This is for TN only

This is kind of what I expected and pretty much what I thought, but it is good to know for certain. Thanks to all who had good input. The best weapon is still the human mind. Know where and where not to be and stay aware of your surroundings. Stay safe... a HCP and a .45 ACP don't hurt anything either. :D

Blackjacks, batons, and knives are very up close and personal weapons. People don't always go down on the first try, kind of like pepper spray sometimes doesn't always work on meth heads. Pepper spray at least can give you distance like tasers.

Wasp spray, 15 to 20 foot range. Works on dogs, too, when I gaffed telephone poles.

Husky or other belt-clipped utility razor blade.

Framing hammer out of the tool box, or a #3 flat tip screw driver.

Car key(s).

I have a monkey's fist that I use as a keychain. It has 6" of line between the fist and the keys. The fist is wrapped around a 7/8" steel ball bearing. I also carry a pocketknife that has about a 4" blade on it. The pocketknife is one of those that has a clip on it, and it and I clip it to the top of my pocket.

• 3 months later...