Barrel Seasoning - Break-in for Accuracy?

Randall53

What can y'all tell me about this subject? I have a new CZ452 and read too much lately about this and I swear even the articles by the pros are confusing. How important is this topic if you plan on shooting local competition and want to get all the accuracy possible out of a 22LR?

Thanks for any opinions

My guess would be that it depends if the barrel was forged or milled.   - others that know more than myself will chime in.

Even so, there is much info on the inter-webs, and if you have the time and the ammo, the ritual can never hurt... sort of like being on a first date.  Take your time and get to know her.    :cool:

22... Wouldn't worry about it. But still wouldn't hurt to do it.

All your doing is cleaning the shavings out of the barrel as the first few rounds go through it. Any imperfections are being shot out. Your cleaning marks and groves and making it less prone to scrapping stuff around in there. That's how I was taught and understand it. If someone wants to correct me go for it. I clean all my new barrels ever round for the first 5 rounds then once every 10 for the next 100 and call it a day. Easy as can be.
I just clean and lube once before I shoot a new rifle.

After that, I clean it after each shoot or every other shoot if I know I'll be back out soon.

Like my 50 BMG, it takes a lot of time and solvent to clean it, so if I shot Tuesday and know I'll be shooting again on the weekend, I will skip cleaning it (unless I shot tracers) until after the next shoot.

Hasn't hurt any of my guns down this. Accuracy seems to remain the same. :up:

I cant remember the last time I cleaned my .22 LR barrels other than when I first get them

Target velocity .22LR are so soft and lubed all you really need to do is keep the chamber and crown clean  My Medalist has had thousands of rounds downrange and the barrel has been scrubbed maybe 3 times

My 10-22s same thing and they kill squirrels regularly 

now, if you shoot high velocity I don't no as the electroplating would seem likelier to foul to me but I don't use them with any regularity

I am more of a clean it and shoot it guy if your barrel needs work after you buy it you are already behind the game. but if makes you feel better shoot 5 and clean a few times :2cents:

Physics kind of rules out barrel break in though  how can copper or lead really influence steel for the first 5-20-50 round break in then "settle down" and allow thousands of rounds without wearing out the rifling ? just clean and degrease it really well and keep an eye out for fouling, record round count and if you have accuracy issues say every 1800 rounds then the barrel told you to clean it every 1700 rounds then plan 25-50 to foul and settle things back into place especially if you remove the action from the stock

Benchrest shooters are very ritualistic and almost superstitious, then again I guess we all are a bit OCD when it comes to accuracy as I have certain things I do when I setup a new rifle/handgun, or load ammo  so I guess you will have to develop your own "system" as we all have if shooting a few and cleaning it a few times makes you feel you have done all that is possible to get the accuracy you are looking for then do it,remember it is your gun, ammo & mindset that work to create successful accuracy.

Just keep good notes Human memory isn't what we all remember it to be

Separate from the break in issue, my (and from what I've read many others) CZ 452 needed a vigorous cleaning when it was new.  I don't know if it was a preservative or stuff left from the manufacturing process, but there was a lot of brown "gunk" that came out of the barrel.  I cleaned from the breach with a bore guide until the patches came out clean.  It took longer than any other new rifle I've encountered.

I haven't cleaned the bore since and don't intend to unless the accuracy starts to degrade.

Here's a thread about the "gunk" over at the Rimfire Central Forum:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342208